When Ann Foti learned that she could become a living donor for her husband, Gino, she was determined to donate her kidney to him; however, because of complications with Gino’s condition and the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, their journey toward transplantation surgery was far from simple.
At the Massachusetts General Hospital Fireman Vascular Center, our world-renowned research advances patient care in the field of venous disease.
Advancing Venous Disease Care
Clinical research in the Venous Disease Program at the Massachusetts General Hospital Fireman Vascular Center combines leading research with patient care to develop innovative options to treat vascular disease.
View a sample of our clinical research below.
Pulmonary Embolism Response Team (PERT) Registry
- Description of study: The purpose of this registry (“the PERT Registry”) is to gather data on patients diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, treated by the Pulmonary Embolism Response Team (PERT) at MGH for epidemiologic, therapeutic, quality assessment and outcomes research. The PERT registry is will advance our understanding of practices used and outcomes of PE treatment modalities, and drive future comparative research in the field.
- Study type: Medical Chart Review
- Principal Investigator: Kenneth Rosenfield, MD
Venous Thrombectomy Using Suction Filtration and Extracorporeal Bypass
- Description of study: The purpose of this research is to show a single center experience with a novel device for extraction of thrombotic masses in the great veins, right atrium, right ventricle and pulmonary arteries. The intent of the study will be to detail patient population, technical considerations and procedural as well as in hospital outcomes.
- Study type:Clinical Study
- Principal Investigator: Ido Weinberg, MD
Related News and Articles
- Press Release
- Jul | 16 | 2020
Blood type is not associated with a severe worsening of symptoms in people who have tested positive for COVID-19, researchers from Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) have reported, dispelling previous reports that suggested a correlation between certain blood type and COVID-19
- Patient Education
- May | 5 | 2020
In this Q&A, Aneesh Singhal, MD, vice chair of the Department of Neurology, describes the risk of clotting disorders among COVID-19 patients, the treatment options available, how patients can prevent stroke and what to do if they experience symptoms.
- Patient Education
- Mar | 2 | 2020
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the Mass General Fireman Vascular Center is providing general and surgical care for our patients. We have taken unprecedented steps to ensure all office visits, procedures and surgeries are welcoming and safe. We have also expanded our virtual visit offerings.