Massachusetts General Hospital is conveniently located near accessible public transportation and provides accessible parking and shuttle services.
The Charles/MGH stop on the MBTA's red line is ADA-compliant and barrier-free. Elevators and escalators can transport patrons between the street level and train platform level.
The station's north exit (to the right as you exit the station) is the best route to Mass General. It lines up with the pedestrian entrance to Mass General's Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care. There is a pedestrian crosswalk with a traffic signal to cross the three lanes of traffic that separate the station from the Yawkey Building. Once in the Yawkey Building, you may take the escalator or elevator to the second floor. There is an enclosed walkway that will bring you to elevators in the Lunder Building, which provide access to the hospital's Main Lobby.
Additionally, MBTA's The RIDE offers door-to-door transportation to eligible people who cannot use general public transportation. In order to use The RIDE, you must complete an application to become eligible.
Wheelchair-accessible shuttles operate between various Mass General locations and buildings. Whenever possible, please contact Partners Transportation at 617-726-2250 at least 24 hours in advance if you need to request a shuttle with a wheelchair lift.
Patient Shuttle On Call
Partners Transportation operates wheelchair-accessible shuttles to assist patients needing to get to nearby Mass General practices. The hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
Mass General Hospital information desk staff, located in the Gray and Yawkey lobbies, will call for the patient shuttle bus. The bus will drive the patient from one of these hospital lobbies to the hospital building where the appointment is scheduled. (Example: from Yawkey Lobby to 101 Merrimac Street for orthopaedic appointment).
For return trips, staff in Mass General Hospital practices will call for the Patient Shuttle Bus to return the patient to a hospital lobby location (example: Orthopedics staff at 101 Merrimac Street calls for bus to pick up patient at 101 Merrimac lobby and drive patient back to Yawkey lobby).
Common locations that are supported:
- 50 Staniford Street
- 101 Merrimac Street
- 25 New Chardon Street
- 1 Bowdoin Square
- 165 and 175 Cambridge Street (using back entrance to Charles River Plaza on O'Connell Way.)
For further information, please contact Partners Transportation at 617-726-2250.
Moderately-priced valet parking is available at the entrance to both the Wang Ambulatory Care Center (ACC) and the Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care. The Wang ACC valet uses a surface parking lot with no vehicle height restrictions.
Mass General has three main parking garages with vehicle height restrictions as indicated below:
- Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care – 59 handicap parking spaces. The height limit is 8 feet, 2 inches for levels P1 and P2, and 7 feet, 2 inches for levels P3, P4, P5 and P6. Elevators from the garage bring you to the Yawkey lobby. There are elevators and escalators in the lobby that provide access to an enclosed walkway, which provides access to the Lunder Building elevators. These elevators provide access to the main lobby
- Fruit Street (closest to Mass General's main campus): 23 handicap parking spaces. The height limit is 6 feet, 8 inches
- Parkman Street: 21 handicap parking spaces. The height limit is 6 feet, 8 inches
Additional accessible parking is available at 165 Cambridge Street and 50 Staniford Street.
- 165 Cambridge Street offers underground parking. There is also limited surface deck parking
- The garage at 50 Staniford Street has 11 handicap parking spaces. The height limit is 6 feet, 10 inches. Please note that this parking garage is not owned or operated by Mass General