Akito Nakagawa, PhD
Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02144
Explore This Laboratory
Akito Nakagawa, PhD
Instructor in Anesthesia, Harvard Medical School
Assistant in Chemistry, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Design and synthesis of small molecules modulating gas binding affinity of hemoglobin and red blood cells
- Development of high throughput assays to evaluate gas binding properties of hemoglobin and red blood cells
- Studies on how small molecules can bind to hemoglobin and modulate the binding affinity of gaseous ligands (oxygen, carbon monoxide and nitric oxide) for hemoglobin and red blood cells
Description of Research
My research focuses on identification of small molecules that modulate gas binding properties of hemoglobin and red blood cells. Ongoing projects include:
- Applications of gas binding modulators of hemoglobin for treating human disease
- Development of assays for high throughput screening of small molecules that modulate gas binding affinity of hemoglobin
- Identification those small molecules from a compound library
- Studies on how they modulate gas binding affinity of hemoglobin
The projects are conducted in the Zapol lab. We recently identified a small molecule that increases oxygen affinity of hemoglobin and inhibits in vitro hypoxia-induced sickling of red blood cells in patients with sickle cell disease without hemolysis. The identified molecule could be a lead molecule for the treatment of patients with sickle cell disease.
Nakagawa, A., Lui, F. E., Wassaf, D., Yefidoff-Freedman, R., Casalena, D., Palmer, M. A., Meadows, J., Mozzarelli, A., Ronda, L., Abdulmalik, O., Bloch, K. D., Safo, M. K., and Zapol, W. M. (2014) Identification of a Small Molecule that Increases Hemoglobin Oxygen Affinity and Reduces SS Erythrocyte Sickling, ACS Chem Biol 9, 2318-2325.
(ACS Chemical Biology highlighted our paper and interviewed me about the paper. This interview has been reported in ACS Chemical Biology Podcast, October 2014.)
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Learn more about the Mass General Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine's mission, history and notable milestones.