Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Center for Laryngeal Surgery
One Bowdoin Square
Boston, MA 02114-2927
- MD, University of Virginia School of Medicine
- Residency, University of Virginia Health System
- Fellowship, Massachusetts Eye & Ear
American Board Certifications
- Otolaryngology, American Board of Otolaryngology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Burns' research interests include pulsed-KTP laser surgery for benign and malignant laryngeal disease, vocal fold paralysis, and high-speed vocal fold imaging. He is interested in developing high-fidelity simulation models to teach office-based laryngeal surgery.
The voice center group, under the direction of Dr. Steven Zeitels and in collaboration with Dr. Rox Anderson, applied concepts of selective vessel ablation to develop a new paradigm in the treatment of epithelial laryngeal diseases such as papilloma and pre-cancerous dysplasia. The new treatment strategy was adapted to office-based surgery, allowing patients to avoid repeated general anesthetics. This treatment strategy is becoming widely adapted within the otolaryngologic community worldwide.
Dr. Burns' numerous clinical and research contributions have been featured in national peer-reviewed journals, and he has been a guest speaker at numerous U.S. institutions including Johns Hopkins, UPENN, The Cleveland Clinic, and Stanford University. He is a frequent lecturer internationally including presentations at prestigious meetings in Sydney,Seoul, Singapore, and Cairo.
- Burns JA, Kobler JB, Heaton JT, Anderson RR, Zeitels SM. Predicting Clinical Efficacy of Photoangiolytic and Cutting/Ablating Lasers Using the Chick Chorioallantoic Membrane Model: Implications for Endoscopic Voice Surgery. Laryngoscope 2008; 118(6): 1109-1124.
- Friedman AD, Hillman RE, Landau-Zemer T, Burns JA, Zeitels SM. Voice Outcomes for Photoangiolytic KTP Laser Treatment of Early Glottic Cancer. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngology 2013; 122: 151-158.
- Barbu AM, Burns JA, Lopez-Guerra G, Landau-Zemer T, Friedman AD, Zeitels SM. Salvage Endoscopic Angiolytic KTP Laser Treatment of Early Glottic Cancer After Failed Radiotherapy. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2013; 122: 235-239.
- Best SM, Kobler JB, Friedman AD, Barbu AM, Zeitels SM, Burns JA. Effect of Mandibular Tori on Glottic Exposure During Simulated Suspension Microlaryngoscopy. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2014; 123: 188-194.
- Zeitels SM, Burns JA. Oncologic Efficacy of Angiolytic KTP Laser Treatment of Early Glottic Cancer. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2014; (e-pub).
- Ainsworth TA, Kobler JB, Loan GJ, Burns JA. Simulation Model for Transcervical Laryngeal Injection Providing Real-time Feedback. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2014; (e-pub).
- Burns JA. (2014). American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Foundation, Home Study Course, Section 6 - Laryngology, Voice Disorders and Bronchoesophagology, Section Editor