Boston, MAPhone: 617-726-5130
About Andrew Brunner, MD
Myelodysplastic syndromes are disorders of the bone marrow associated with bone marrow failure and a risk of progression to acute myeloid leukemia. My clinical area of focus and research projects are focused toward understanding treatment patterns and patient outcomes in MDS and other advanced hematologic malignancies, and to develop new treatments for these patients. The therapies available for patients with MDS have not changed in the last decade, and there is critical need to develop new agents and identify the patients most likely to benefit from a given chemotherapy. I am involved in clinical trials for all stages of MDS with an overall goal of tailoring treatment to improve the outcomes of these patients.
- Acute and Chronic Leukemia
- Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Chronic myeloid leukemia
- Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS)
- Myeloproliferative neoplasms
Mass General Cancer Center: Hematology Oncology
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Fellowship, Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Fellowship, Dana Farber Cancer Institute
American Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
My research focuses on the development of clinical trials for the treatment of myelodysplastic syndrome, acute myeloid leukemia, and other cancers of the blood and bone marrow. I also evaluate the translation of novel clinical trial findings into the general population and, using large datasets, attempt to identify those characteristics that may identify ways to tailor therapies to individual patients.
- Brunner AM, Li S, Fathi AT, et al. Haematopoietic cell transplantation with and without sorafenib maintenance for patients with FLT3-ITD acute myeloid leukaemia in first complete remission. Br J Haematol. 2016 Jul 19. doi: 10.1111/bjh.14260. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 27434660
- Brunner AM, Hobbs G, Jalbut MM, Neuberg DS, Fathi AT. A population-based analysis of second malignancies among patients with myeloproliferative neoplasms in the SEER database. Leuk Lymphoma. 2015 Jul 9:1-11. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 26155828
- Brunner AM, Blonquist TM, Sadrzadeh H, et al. Population-Based Disparities in Survival Among Patients with Core-Binding Factor Acute Myeloid Leukemia: A SEER Database Analysis. Leukemia Research. 2014 Jul;38(7):773-80
- Brunner AM, Kim HT, Coughlin E, et al. Outcomes in patients age 70 or older undergoing allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for hematologic malignancies. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2013 Sep;19(9):1374-80.
- Brunner AM, Campigotto F, Sadrzadeh H, Drapkin BJ, Chen YB, Neuberg DS, Fathi AT. Trends in all-cause mortality among patients with chronic myeloid leukemia: a Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results database analysis. Cancer. 2013 Jul 15;119(14):2620-9.
- Brunner AM, Sadrzadeh H, Feng Y, et al. Association between baseline body mass index and overall survival among patients over age 60 with acute myeloid leukemia. Am J Hematol. 2013 Aug;88(8):642-6.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
Mass General Cancer Center
An integral part of one of the world’s most distinguished academic medical centers, the Cancer Center is among the leading U.S. cancer care providers.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings