How Can I Prevent an Accidental Window Fall?
The best ways to prevent accidental window falls are to watch your children around open windows and install window guards or window stops. These can be purchased at most local hardware stores.
Here are other tips on how to prevent accidental window falls:
- Watch your children closely around open windows. Encourage them to play away from open windows.
- Install window guards. Screens will not prevent an accidental window fall. Screens are designed to keep bugs out, not to keep children and pets in.
- Use a window stop to prevent windows from opening more than 4 inches (10 centimeters).
- Open windows from the top down whenever possible.
- When possible, move furniture and beds away from windows.
- Whenever possible, plant flowers or bushes under windows. If your child does fall out of a window, the plants can help cushion the fall.
- Keep windows closed and locked when not in use.
Did you know?
Most accidental window falls do not lead to death, but they can lead to serious injuries. If your child does fall out of a window, landing on a softer surface, such as a flower bed or bush, can help cushion the fall.
If your child does fall out of a window and is seriously injured, call 911 right away.