Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
243 Charles Street
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, George Washington University Medical Center
- Residency, Medstar Georgetown University Hospital
- Fellowship, Boston Children's Hospital
- Fellowship, Children's Hospital Boston
- Fellowship, National Eye Institute
- Fellowship, National Eye Institute/ Office of the Science
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Dr. Dagi has contributed substantially to the development and refinement of two new surgical techniques for managing strabismus from sixth nerve palsy, Duane syndrome, and third nerve palsy. She has employed high resolution orbital magnetic resonance imaging to demonstrate the anatomical relationships resulting from these procedures.
She is the Principal Investigator for a series of studies designed to compare the ophthalmic impact on patients with unicoronal synostosis treated by endoscopic strip craniectomy and helmeting (ESCH) rather than by fronto-orbital advancement (FOA). She demonstrated that those treated with ESCH had reduced astigmatism, amblyopia and strabismus, and a more favorable craniofacial outcome.
She also studies complex strabismus in patients with syndromic craniosynostosis or other craniofacial disorders. Through the use of high resolution orbital imaging and 3D modeling, she has demonstrated that exaggerated V-pattern strabismus has it’s origins at the orbital apex. She has studied surveillance of impending optic neuropathy in this population with OCT and prVEP.
As Director of Quality Assurance, she supervised the development of a goal-determined paradigm to evaluate outcomes of surgery for esotropia and exotropia. This methodology requires surgeons to prospective rank four possible goals of surgery on the day of each procedure.
1. Elhusseiny AM, Huynh EM, Dagi LR. Evaluation and Management of V pattern Strabismus in Craniosynostosis. J Binocul Vis Ocul Motil. 2019 Dec 19; 1-6.
2. Serafino M, Granet DB, Kushner BJ, Dagi LR, Kekunnaya R, Nucci P. Use of the Delphi process for defining successful outcomes for strabismus surgery. J AAPOS. 2019 Dec; 23(6):309-312.
3. Dagi LR, Velez FG, Archer SM, Atalay HT, Campolattaro BN, Holmes JM, Kerr NC, Kushner BJ, Mackinnon SE, Paysse EA, Pihlblad MS, Pineles SL, Strominger MB, Stager DR, Stager D, Capo H. Adult Strabismus Preferred Practice Pattern®. Ophthalmology. 2020 Jan; 127(1):P182-P298.
4. Weng F, Meara JG, Dagi LR. Unicoronal Synostosis. J Pediatr. 2019 Oct; 213:243-243.e1.
5. Nguyen JQN, Resnick CM, Chang YH, Hansen RM, Fulton AB, Moskowitz A, Calabrese CE, Dagi LR. Impact of Obstructive Sleep Apnea on Optic Nerve Function in Patients With Craniosynostosis and Recurrent Intracranial Hypertension. Am J Ophthalmol. 2019 Nov; 207:356-362.