Foods to Increase Calories
- Powdered milk. Add to soups, sauces or baked dishes.
- Milk, cream or half-and-half. Use in place of water in hot cereal, soup or mashed potatoes. Add to cream sauces with pasta or vegetables.
- Eggs or meat. Add to salads, vegetables, baked dishes or sandwiches.
- Cheese or whole milk yogurt. Melt on baked dishes or mix into omelets and sauces. Put yogurt on cereal, waffles or mix with fruit.
- Fruits and vegetables. Add fruit to yogurt or snacks. Serve vegetables with dip.
- Nut butter, beans or nuts (if your baby is not allergic). Add nuts or beans to soup or salad. Spread nut butter on crackers, sandwiches, fruit or vegetables.
- High-calorie toppings. This includes sour cream, butter, cream cheese, gravy or cream soups. Add to potatoes, hot cereals, rice, pasta or cooked vegetables.