Activities to help with body awareness
These activities can help your child learn about their bodies and how they explore the spaces around them.
- Sandwich or burrito games. This is when you gently place your child between two blankets or soft mats. Be careful that your child can safely breathe and see at all times.
- Wall pushes. This is when you gently press the wall with different parts of your body.
- Bear hugs or gentle play wrestling. Always approach your toddler from the front. Tell them that you are going to touch them. Give them the choice to be touched or not touched.
- Jump into a pile of soft pillows, blankets or cushions
- Chores, such as dusting, vacuuming or putting away toys
- Hide and seek
- Climbing or crawling through old boxes, tunnels or pillows
- Building blocks
- Jumping or playing hopscotch
- Pushing or pulling a wagon or cart
- A game of tug-of-war
- Playing catch with a ball
Use your best judgment and be safe when doing sensory play with your toddler. Watch your child at all times when using smaller objects. Do not let your toddler put small objects in their mouth. Call 911 if there is an emergency.