The Analytical and Quantitative Cytology Core Facility at Massachusetts General Hospital offers services and equipment to perform most flow cytometric assays.
The facility provides, but is not limited to, the following services:
- Content and cell cycle analysis including the simultaneous measurement of multiple fluorescent probes
- Immunofluorescence analysis (four-color analysis and maximal of eight-color analysis are routinely performed)
- Characterization of cell populations based on scattered light intensity measurement
- Oxidative metabolism, cytoplasmic calcium concentration and pH measurement
- Apoptosis assay and viability assay (membrane exclusion and metabolic viability)
- Bivariate and univariate chromosome analysis
- Receptor-ligand interaction and kinetic analysis
The facility also provides cell sorting including sorting of viable sterile population and spot blot. The sorting is performed with Mo-Flo, a high-speed sorter manufactured by Cytomation.
It has the following unique features:
- A high-speed sorting runs at 25,000/second with purity and recovery of > 90%
- A 4-way sorting allows to sort for different populations simultaneously
- A cyclone sorting is able to sort a signal cell into a 96-well plate for culture
- A slide sorting can sort 1 to 4 different populates onto a slide directly