Explore This Program
Lifestyle programs at the Massachusetts General Hospital Weight Center are designed to address the knowledge, skills, attitudes and thoughts that drive behaviors related to eating and activity.
About Medically Intensive Nutrition Therapy
The Medically Intensive Nutrition Therapy (MINT®) program is an education and support program combined with structured meal replacements and medication management for improved weight loss and health outcomes. The format utilizes lectures, slide presentations and interactive group activities. The goal of the MINT® program is to influence the life style-related factors most closely associated with chronic-disease risk. Weight loss is only one of the few important goals for this program. Healthier eating and activity are also main goals. Participants are helped to make a personal commitment to behavior change.
The program is designed for adults who have overweight or medically significant obesity who would benefit from nutrition and healthy eating education, food preparation, and physical activity tips.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is this program structured?
There are two steps you will complete prior to the start of Medically Intensive Nutrition Therapy (MINT®) sessions.
- First, you will have a breathing test done to determine the amount of calories that your body burns at rest.
- Next you will attend an Intro to MINT® session for an overview of the program structure and begin your journey.
- Healthy Nutrition
- Mindful eating
- Grocery shopping and labels
- Dining out
- Time management
- Sleep, stress and environment
- Behavior change
- Meal planning
- Physical activity
- Long-term weight management
At the end of your 12 weeks, you will be scheduled individually to meet with your Weight Center physician and dietitian to review your progress and start into your transition program.
What is the cost of the medical management program?The out-of-pocket cost of the program is $550.00. This is not billable to your insurance. This program fee includes all group nutrition sessions and two exercise sessions at the MGH Clubs at Charles River Park. This price does not include the meal replacements, which averages to be about $85/week.
- The out-of-pocket cost of the transition program is an additional $200.00 for six biweekly classes after completion of the MINT® program.
Your medical visits will be billed to your health insurance and may require referrals or co-payments depending on the terms of your plan.
How will the exercise component of the program work?Your program fee includes two visits with a physical trainer at The Clubs at Charles River Park. You should schedule these at a time that is mutually convenient for you and the trainer. The trainer will contact you directly.
Address and contact information:
10 Whittier Place
Boston, MA 02114
When are the group meetings?
- Intro to MINT® (only attend once): Thursdays 3:00–4:00 pm
- Weekly Groups: Wednesdays 7:30–8:30 am Boston; arrival time 7:00 am for vitals and product ordering