In September 2022, Mass General’s Orthopaedic Trauma Service was chosen to host the inaugural class of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association’s Roy Sanders Traveling Fellows.
Thuan Ly, MD
Thuan Ly, MD
Chief, Orthopaedic Trauma Center
Orthopaedic Trauma Surgeon
Hansjrg Wyss AO Associate Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Orthopaedic Trauma Service
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Building for Outpatient Care
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, University of Minnesota
- Residency, University of Minnesota
- Fellowship, Carolinas Medical Center--Atrium Health
American Board Certifications
- Orthopedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Ly's clinical and research interests are in the area of orthopaedic trauma, specifically acetabular, pelvis, periarticular fractures and polytrauma. He feel it is important to participate in multi-center studies (ie METRC, FAITH etc) in order to contribute and to improve patients care. Dr. Ly has a passion for educating the orthopaedic residents, fellows, and emergency rotating residents. He makes a significant effort to carry this passion for education to a national level by being an AO faculty and participating in the OTA comprehensive fracture course for residents on a regular basis.
- Sarac NJ, Vajapey SP, Bosse MJ, Ly TV. Training the New Generations of Orthopaedic Surgery Residents: Understanding Generational Differences to Maximize Educational Benefit. J Bone Joint Surg Am. Aug 2021.
- Mickley J, Roebke AJ, Everhart JS, Goyal KS, Ly TV. Patient and surgical factors affect postoperative opioid prescription for orthopaedic trauma patients undergoing single-admission, single-surgery fracture fixation: a retrospective cohort study. Curr Orthop Pract. 2021;32(4):1-7. July/Aug.
- Frantz T, Everhart JS, Kanney JM, McDermott SM, Phieffer LS, Ly TV. Early complications of antibiotic prophylaxis with cefazolin protocols versus piperacillin-tazobactam for open fractures. Curr Orthop Pract. 2020 Nov/Dec;31(6):549-555.
- Sarac NJ, Sarac BA, Schoenbrunner AR, Janis JE, Harrison RK, Phieffer LS, Quatman CE, Ly TV. A review of state guidelines for elective orthopaedic procedures during COVID-19 outbreak. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2020 Jun 3;102(11):942-945.
- Malik AT, Quatman CE, Khan SN, Phieffer LS, Rao P, Ly TV. Outpatient vs. inpatient surgical fixation of isolated ankle fractures - An analysis of 90-day complications, readmissions and costs. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2020 May/Jun;59(3):502-506.
- Campbell A, Dugarte A, Ly TV. Minimally invasive endoscopic-assisted technique for implant removal after pelvic bridge plating. J Orthop Trauma. 2018 Nov;32(11).
- Li M, Collier RC, Hill BW, Slinkard N, Ly TV. Comparing Different Surgical Techniques for Addressing the Posterior Malleolus in Supination External Rotation Ankle Fractures and the Need for Syndesmotic Screw Fixation. JJ Foot Ankle Surg. 2017 Jul/Aug;56(4):730-734.