- Clinical Interests
- International psychiatry
- Medical psychiatry
- Medical Education
- MD, New York University School of Medicine
- Residency, Bellevue Hospital Center
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna Behavioral Health
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - New York
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Behavioral Health
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
Gregory Fricchione MD has been on faculty at Harvard Medical School (HMS) since 1993. Since July 2002 he has been Associate Chief of Psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH). Fricchione received his M.D. from New York University School of Medicine in 1978. He is board certified in psychiatry and has added qualifications in psychosomatic medicine and geriatric psychiatry. He has taught in the medical schools at New York University, the State University of New York at Stony Brook, the University of Auckland in New Zealand and at Emory University as well as at Harvard Medical School where he is Professor of Psychiatry.
Dr Fricchione is Director of the Division of Psychiatry and Medicine at MGH and of the MGH Psychosmatic Medicine Fellowship Program and of the Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Behavioral Mental Health Service and supervises a large staff of attending and trainee psychiatrists taking care of the psychiatric problems of medically and surgically ill patients. He is also Director of the Benson-Henry Institute for Mind Body Medicine at MGH where clinical, animal and neuroimaging research into the effects of stress and resiliency take place.
- Research Summary
- As Director of the Benson Henry Institute, Dr. Fricchione is involved in clinical, neuroimaging and basic research on the biological mechanisms underlying diseases that connect mind and body. He is also engaged in research focused on the catatonic syndrome.
Alam HB, Fricchione GL, Guimares ASR, Zukerberg LR. Case 31-2009 : A 26-year-old man with abdominal distention and shock. New Engl J Med 2009; 361: 1487-1496.
Fricchione GL, Nejad SH, Esses JA, Cummings TJ, Cassem NH, Murray GB. Postoperative delirium. Am J Psychiatry 2008; 165: 803-812.
Huffman JH, SmithFA, Taylor A, Januzzi JL, Fricchione GL. Pre-existing major depression predicts in-hospital cardiac complications after acute myocardial infarction. Psychosomatics 2008; 49: 309-316.
Three new DVDs are now for sale in our store. These DVDs are live recordings of lectures from our popular Clinical Training in Mind Body Medicine, a five-day course we offer in partnership with Harvard Medical School.
Improving the environment in which rats are reared can significantly strengthen the physiological process of wound healing, according to a report in the open-access journal PLoS ONE. MGH researchers found that giving rats living in isolation the opportunity to build nests led to faster and more complete healing of burn injuries.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
151 Merrimac Street
Boston, MA 02114-4714