Dr. Holovacs specializes in Shoulder & Sports Medicine. He treats patients and athletes of all ages from teens to seniors. Using state of the art arthroscopic and reconstructive techniques, he helps patients achieve their activity and athletic goals.
- Clinical Interests
- Shoulder replacement
- Shoulder arthroplasty
- Shoulder arthroscopy
- Rotator cuff repairs
- Reconstructive shoulder surgery
- Suprascapular nerve compression
- Biceps repair
- Frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis/stiffness)
- Shoulder fractures
- Glenoid reconstruction (latarjet procedure)
- Rotator cuff reconstruction (latissimus tendon transfer)
- Labral injuries and shoulder instability (SLAP, Bankart)
- Medical Education
- MD, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Residency, Duke University Medical Center
- Fellowship, Balgrist Hospital|Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Waltham: Mass General Waltham
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - ACD
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - New York
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and Pediatric
- Provider Gender
Why is Dr. Holovacs a shoulder surgeon? His first exposure to the field of orthopaedics and shoulder surgery was from shoulder pain and instability he had as an elite, teenage swimmer. As a young adult, Dr. Holovacs had four shoulder surgeries, which gives him a unique perspective into both the patient side and doctor/surgeon side of shoulder problems.
Dr. Holovacs' earned his BA at the Univ of Pennsylvania where he was a four-year letterman in swimming. As a senior he was elected team captain of the men's varsity swim team. Dr. Holovacs earned his MD from the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons where he was selected to be a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society.
Dr. Holovacs completed his Orthopaedic Surgery Residency at Duke University Medical Center. While at Duke, he was an Assistant Resident Team Physician for all Duke athletic teams, including the 2001 NCAA National Championship men's basketball team. As a resident, Dr. Holovacs honed his shoulder expertise and sports medicine skills at Womack Army Medical Center, Fort Bragg, NC.
After residency, Dr. Holovacs developed additional expertise in shoulder and sports medicine surgery when he was selected as the prestigious Intercontinental Shoulder Fellow. He gained more shoulder specialization through fellowships at the Mass General Harvard Shoulder Service and the University of Zurich, Balgrist Hospital in Switzerland.
Dr. Holovacs joined the Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery at Mass General in 2002 as a member of both the Shoulder Service and the Sports Medicine Service. His personal passion for shoulder problems as a teenager and young adult is now the focus of his career - specialized, expert shoulder and sports medicine care for athletes and active/athletic patients of all ages.
For more information, visit www.shoulderwork.com
- Research Summary
Dr. Holovacs' clinical interests are in shoulder injuries and sports medicine/shoulder.
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Bankart Repair
- Shoulder Instability/Dislocation and Subluxation
- Shoulder Separation
- SLAP repair
- Labrum Repair
- Frozen Shoulder/Adhesive Capsulitis and Shoulder Stiffness
- Suprascapular Nerve Compression
- Biceps Tendon
- Failed and Revision Surgery (open and arthroscopic)
- Complicated/Complex Reconstruction
- Shoulder Replacement - Arthritis
- Shoulder Replacement - Fracture
- Shoulder Replacement - Reverse Prosthesis
- Glenoid (Socket) Reconstruction - Latarjet Procedure
- Fracture Repair - humerus, scapula, clavicle
- Scapular Winging
- Shoulder Separation
- Rotator Cuff Reconstruction - Tendon Transfers
- clavicle (collarbone), scapula (shoulder blade), humerus
- Motley GS, Osbahr DC, Holovacs TF, Speer KP. An arthroscopic technique for confirming intra-articular subluxation of the long head of the biceps tendon: the ramp test. Arthroscopy. 2002 Nov-Dec;18(9):E46.
- Singh H, Osbahr DC, Holovacs TF, Cawley PW, Speer KP. The efficacy of continuous cryotherapy on the postoperative shoulder: a prospective, randomized investigation. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2001 Nov-Dec;10(6):522-5.
- Pearsall AW 4th, Holovacs TF, Speer KP. The intra-articular component of the subscapularis tendon: anatomic and histological correlation in reference to surgical release in patients with frozen-shoulder syndrome. Arthroscopy. 2000 Apr;16(3):236-42.
- Pearsall AW 4th, Holovacs TF, Speer KP. The low anterior five-o'clock portal during arthroscopic shoulder surgery performed in the beach-chair position. Am J Sports Med.1999 Sep-Oct;27(5):571-4.
- Pearsall AW 4th, Holovacs TF, Speer KP. Efficacy of a Low Anterior Portal Established with Outside-In Technique for Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery. Arthroscopy.1998;25.
MGH Hotline 4.24.09 Channel 7 NBC/CW 56 and Partners HealthCare plan to pack the Hynes Convention Center once again this summer as they come together to present the third annual Boston Health & Fitness Expo June 27 and 28 from 10 am to 5 pm with a mission to improve the health and wellness of the community
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care, Suite 3G
Boston, MA 02114-2696