Dr. DiGiovanni promises his patients that he will always strive to provide them the best care possible - a commitment he takes seriously and considers to be a foremost priority.
- Clinical Interests
- Sports injuries to the foot & ankle
- Foot & ankle fractures
- Minimally invasive & arthroscopic surgical techniques
- Ankle instability
- Achilles tendon injuries
- Osteochondral Lesions of the Talus (OLT) and ankle (OCD)
- Ankle arthritis
- Ankle arthroscopy
- Ankle joint replacement surgery
- Cartilage injuries
- Foot deformity
- Fracture nonunion
- Peroneal tendon tears
- Post traumatic arthritis & deformity
- Medical Education
- MD, The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
- Residency, Rhode Island Hospital/Lifespan
- Fellowship, Harborview Medical Center|Fellowship, Hospital for Special Surgery|Fellowship, Rhode Island Hospital/Lifespan
- Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Waltham: Mass General Waltham
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - ACD
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
Dr. DiGiovanni is an internationally recognized foot and ankle surgeon. He earned his BA from Dartmouth College and his MD from the Brown University-Dartmouth Medical School Program. Dr. DiGiovanni completed his residency at Brown University before completing five fellowships:
- Orthopaedic Trauma, Brown Medical School
- Joint Replacement/Reconstruction, Cornell University Medical College - Hospital for Special Surgery
- Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy of the Foot and Ankle, Harbor-UCLA and USC Affiliated Hospitals
- Foot and Ankle Trauma/Reconstructive Surgery, University of Washington School of Medicine - Harborview Medical Center
- Foot and Ankle Travelling Fellow, American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
Before Mass General, Dr. DiGiovanni served as Professor and Program Director of the Orthopaedic Residency at Brown University School of Medicine, and he was Chief of the Foot and Ankle Service, Foot and Ankle Fellowship Program Director, and Founder of the Joe DiMaggio Sports Foot and Ankle Center.
Dr. DiGiovanni has been honored: as one of America's Best Doctors & Top Surgeons; as a Boston Top Doc; with Patient Choice and Compassionate Doctor Awards; with an Excellence in Teaching Award by his residents; and with the Order of Merit from the Orthopedic Research and Education Foundation. He has served on the surgical advisory boards of US and international companies, and has helped patent FDA-approved foot and ankle devices to improve patient care. He continues to teach surgery and lecture across the world and recently was elected to serve on the Presidential Line of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society.
Dr. DiGiovanni oversees the foot and ankle services at both Mass General and Newton-Wellesley. He is a consultant team physician for numerous athletes from regional, national, and international collegiate, professional, and Olympic programs.
- Research Summary
Dr. DiGiovanni's research is devoted to improving foot and ankle function with state-of-the-art procedures involving total ankle replacement, growth factor incorporation to improve bone healing rates, sports and fracture care, minimally invasive arthroscopy, limb salvage surgery, bunion and hammertoe reconstruction and various new soft tissue balancing operations designed to maximize and preserve function of the foot and ankle.
He is currently on the Managerial Board of the journal Foot and Ankle International, sits on the International Editorial Board of the European Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery and has been a consultant reviewer for a number of other orthopaedic journals, including the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery.
Dr. DiGiovanni has authored well over 100 peer review articles, book chapters, and books involving the orthopaedic management of many different foot and ankle problems.
The mission of the new Foot & Ankle Store at Mass General Waltham is to provide orthopedic care for patients and their families for any condition “below the knee.” The store provides patients access to high-quality medical products, as well as footwear to meet their foot and ankle needs.
Foot and ankle is one of the fastest growing fields in orthopaedics. Factors driving this growth include increased participation in athletics, motor vehicle trauma, osteoarthritis, obesity, diabetes and the aging population.
The Mass General / Newton-Wellesley Foot & Ankle Center, located at Mass General Waltham, celebrated its opening.
A team at Massachusetts General Hospital has developed a new generation of ankle replacement devices and protocols that are promoting wider adoption of total ankle arthroplasty.
A renowned orthopædic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle care, has been named as the new chief of the MGH Foot and Ankle Service.
Foot & Ankle Center Opening Celebration
On November 1, 2016, the Mass General/Newton-Wellesley Foot & Ankle Center had an opening celebration.
Complex Foot Reconstruction
Dr. Christopher DiGiovanni discusses complex foot reconstruction with a patient who has Charcot Marie Tooth Disease (CMT), which is a disease that damages the nerves in your arms and legs.
Total Ankle Replacement
Dr. Christopher DiGiovanni discusses total ankle replacements with a patient whom had both of his ankle replaced.
52 Second Avenue
Building 52, 1st Floor, Suite 1150
Waltham, MA 02451
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care, Suite 3F
Boston, MA 02114-2696