Dr. Chen brings a wide breadth of expertise, ranging from advanced arthroscopy to complex extremity reconstruction. He has a balanced approach towards novel technologies and evidence-based medicine.
- Clinical Interests
- Hand surgery
- Elbow arthroplasty
- Elbow fractures
- Elbow arthroscopy
- Shoulder arthroscopy
- Shoulder replacement
- Tendon injuries
- Rotator cuff repairs
- Biceps repair
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Cubital tunnel syndrome
- Fractures of the distal radius
- Hand fractures
- Labral injuries and shoulder instability (SLAP, Bankart)
- Nerve injuries
- Medical Education
- MD, Yale University School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Hospital for Special Surgery|Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
In 2002, Dr. Chen's father was injured in an accident which broke both his arms and legs. At Mass General, Dr. Jesse Jupiter cared for his father's complex elbow and forearm fractures. As a result of his care, his father had an exceptional result. From this experience and the tutelage of Dr. Jupiter, Dr. Chen developed an interest in hand and upper extremity surgery.
Dr. Chen received his BS in Biological Sciences at Stanford University and his MD from Yale University. He completed residency at the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program, the Hand and Upper Extremity Fellowship at Mass General and the Sports Medicine and Shoulder Fellowship at Hospital for Special Surgery.
He returned to Mass General after six years of both academic and private practice. He was previously a Sports Medicine Attending at the University of Michigan and subsequently was a Partner at the Philadelphia Hand Center, P.C. while serving as an Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. As a fellow in New York, Dr. Chen was an assistant team physician for the New York Mets. In Ann Arbor, he served as a consultant to University of Michigan Athletics, a consultant to USA Hockey and team physician for Eastern Michigan University.
He has received a prestigious Basic Science Grant from the American Society for Surgery of the Hand/American Foundation for Surgery of the Hand. He has also research sponsored by the AO Foundation for the study of shoulder fractures.
He has a clinical practice that encompasses complex problems of the shoulder, elbow, wrist, and hand. He performs shoulder and elbow replacement, tendon transfers, arthroscopy of the shoulder, elbow, and wrist, and repair of malaligned or unhealed fractures.
- Research Summary
Dr. Chen's research interests include:
- Advanced wrist and elbow arthroscopy
- Arthroscopic assisted fracture repair
- Improving treatment of complex upper extremity fractures
- Improving elbow and wrist replacement
- Chen NC, Jupiter JB, Steinmann SP, Ring D. Non-acute treatment of elbow fracture with persistent ulnohumeral dislocation or subluxation. J Bone Joint Surg 2014; 96(15):1308-1316.
- Chen NC, Jupiter JB: Current Concepts: Treatment of distal radius fractures. J Bone Joint Surg 2007; 89: 2051-62.
- Smith MV, Bedi A, Chen NC. Surgical treatment for osteochondritis dessicans of the capitellum. Sports Health. 2012;4:425-32.
- Chen NC, Shauver MJ, Chung KC. Cost-effectiveness of open partial fasciectomy, needle aponeurotomy,and collagenase: injection for Dupuytren contracture. J Hand Surg Am. 2011; 36:1826-1834.
- Chen NC, Bedi A. Rotator cuff defect: acute or chronic? J Hand Surg Am. 2011; 36:513-5.
- Chen NC, Culp RW, Osterman AL, Chung KC. "Wrist Arthroscopy" in Hand Surgery Update 5. ed. Chung KC. American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Rosemont, 2011.
- Chen NC, Cohen MS. "Total Elbow Arthroplasty" in Green's Operative Hand Surgery 7th Edition. Churchill Livingstone.
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care, Suite 2C
Boston, MA 02114-2696