The Massachusetts General Hospital Dietetic Internship strives to prepare interns for the challenging fields of nutrition and dietetics.
Mission of Dietetic Internship Program
- To prepare a diverse group of graduates to meet the standards of performance expected of entry-level dietitians in any area of food and nutrition practice.
- To provide opportunities for students to develop the skills necessary to assess, diagnose, intervene, monitor and evaluate conditions in their area of practice to meet the needs of patients, customers and the community.
- To foster a commitment to continually seek to establish best practices in their area of expertise.
Goal 1: Graduate competent entry-level dietitians
- At least 80% of enrolled interns will complete the program within 11 months (50 weeks) or 150% of the program length (18 months/75 weeks)
- At least 90% of graduates will take the credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists within 12 months of program completion.
- The program's one-year pass rate (graduates who pass the registration exam within one year of first attempt) on the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists will be at least 80%
- Of graduates who seek employment, 80% employed are employed in nutrition/dietetics or related fields within 12 months of graduation
- At least 95% of employers rank graduates as very well or well prepared
- Interns meet expectations of each rotation
- At least 50% of graduates sought a job in a concentration area they selected
Goal 2: Graduate individuals who become actively involved in professional/community organization(s)
- At least 25% of graduates are members of, participate in, serve on committees or hold office in a professional or community organization(s)
- Interns attend one professional meeting
- Interns provide nutrition education to a community group
- Interns serve a minimum of 20 hours in community service.
Goal 3: Graduates emulate high standards of performance and professional values
- At least 70% of graduates intend to attain additional certification or graduate education
- At least 90% report the internship fostered professional competencies
- At least 80% of interns who apply for graduate school will be accepted within 5 years of completing the internship
The Mass General Dietetic Internship is currently meeting its goals by exceeding the measureable outcome standards. Program outcomes data available upon request.