Research is a major priority of the Global Health Innovation Laboratory.
Whether on human trafficking or maternal health, the Global Health Innovation Laboratory maintains an active portfolio of global health research. Global Health Innovation Laboratory staff attend and speak at health conferences in a variety of fields ranging from emergency medicine to public health.
We maintain a robust research portfolio designed to contribute to the growing scientific evidence base in the field of global health. The research topics we cover are diverse, ranging from assessments of the effectiveness of ultrasound programs to documentation of the adverse health effects of urbanization. In order to maximize impact, our faculty and advisors have contributed to business magazines and newspapers, in addition to scientific journals. Our publications include the following:
- Patel, R., and Burke, T.F. “Global Health: Urbanization - An Emerging Humanitarian Disaster.” New England Journal of Medicine 2009; 361(8):741-744.
- McNamara, M., Ahn, R., and Burke, T.F. “Non-physicians performing cesarean sections: a review.” British Journal of Midwifery June 2009. Vol. 17, No. 6. pp. 389-392.
- Harbison Kimberly, H., Murray, A., Mennicke, M., Liteplo, A., Tyer-Viola, L., Ahn, R., Burke, T., Noble, V. “Focused Maternal Ultrasound by Midwives in Rural Zambia.” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology In press, Fall 2010.
- Ahn, R., and Tyer-Viola, L. Corporate social responsibility and global health. Invited book chapter, in Eds. Hoyt, P., Fitzpatrick J., and Smith, B.H. Problem Solving for Better Health: A Global Perspective. Springer Publishing Company, New York. In press.
- McGahan, A., Ahn, R., Cafferty, E., Macias-Konstantopoulos, W., Williams, T., Alpert, E., Palmer Castor, J., Wolferstan, N., and Burke, T. “Hidden Business and Open Secrets: How Human Trafficking is Managed and What You Can Do About It.” Rotman Magazine (University of Toronto Business School). In press, Fall 2010.
- Patel, R., Ahn, R., Burke, T. “Human Trafficking and Modern-Day Slavery in the Emergency Department: A Case Report. Western J Emerg Med In press, Fall 2010.
- Ahn, R., Alpert, A., Cafferty, E., Castor Palmer, J., Macias-Konstantopoulos, W., McGahan, A., Wolferstan, N., Williams, T., and Burke, T. Sex Trafficking of Women and Girls in Eight Metropolitan Areas around the World: Case Studies Viewed through a Public-Health Lens. Report to Humanity United (Foundation), Redwood City, CA. October 2009.
- Williams, T., Vibbert, M., Mitchell, L., and Serwanga, R. “Health and human rights of children affected by HIV/AIDS in urban Boston and rural Uganda: a cross-cultural partnership.” International Social Work 2009; 52:539-545.
- McGahan, A., and Keusch, G. “Economic valuations in global health.” Global Public Health 2009; 5(2):136-142.
- Yang, A., Farmer, P., and McGahan, A. “‘Sustainability’ in global health.” Global Public Health 2009; 5(2):129-135.
- Zucker, H.A. “The Dangers of Buying Medicines Overseas.” New York Times (Consults: Experts on the Front Lines of Medicine blog). April 19, 2010.