Linemen's rapid weight gain can lead to hardening of heart, arteries, but problems may be offset with increased aerobic training
Explore This Research Lab
My research is focused on determining the impact and mechanism of Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) on the progression of chronic kidney disease (CKD) through clinical and translational investigation in patients with HCV mono-infection and co-infection with HCV and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). I have focused on the safety and efficacy of novel direct-acting antiviral agents for HCV in both patients with chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease on dialysis. I conduct clinical trials and longitudinal observational studies in these populations.
I currently hold a faculty appointment at Massachusetts General Hospital in the Division of Nephrology with 75% of my time dedicated to research and I maintain an active clinical presence with 20% clinical and 5% teaching effort.
- Nickolas TL, O’Rourke MJ, Yang J, Sise ME, Canetta PA, Barasch N, Buchen C, Khan F, Mori K, Giglio J, Devarajan P, Barasch J. Sensitivity and specificity of a single emergency department measurement of urinary Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin for diagnosing acute kidney injury. Ann Intern Med. 2008; 148(11):810-819
- Sise ME, Barasch J, Devarajan P, Nickolas TL. Elevated urine Neutrophil Gelatinase-Associated Lipocalin can predict Acute on Chronic Kidney Disease. Kidney Int. 2009; 75(1):115-116
- Paragas N, Nickolas TL, Wyatt C, Forster CS, Sise M, Morgello S, Jagla B, Buchen C, Stella P, Sanna-Cherchi S, Carnevali ML, Mattei S, Bovino A, Argentiero L, Magnano A, Devarajan P, Schmidt-Ott KM, Allegri L, Klotman P, D'Agati V, Gharavi AG, Barasch J. Urinary NGAL marks cystic disease in HIV-associated nephropathy. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 20(8):1687-1692
- Huynh TK, Bateman DA, Parravicini E, Lorenz JM, Nemerofsky SL, Sise ME, Bowman TM, Polesana E, Barasch JM. Reference values of urinary neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin in very low birth weight infants. Pediatr Res. 200; 66(5):528-532.
- Parravicini E, Nemerofsky SL, Michelson KA, Huynh TK, Sise ME, Bateman DA, Lorenz JM, Barasch JM. Urinary neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin is a promising biomarker for late onset culture-positive sepsis in very low birth weight infants. Pediatr Res. 2010; 67(6):636-640.
- Sola-Del Valle D, Mohan S, TseChen J, Paragas NA, Sise ME, D’Agati V, Barasch JM. "Urinary NGAL is a useful clinical biomarker of HIV-associated nephropathy. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2011; 26(7):2387-2390.
- Sise ME, Forster C, Singer E, Sola-Del Valle D, Hahn B, Schmidt-Ott K, Barasch J, Nickolas TL. “Urine Neutrophil Gelatinase Associated Lipocalin Identifies Unilateral and Bilateral Urinary Tract Obstruction.” Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2011 Dec;26(12):4132-4135.
- Nickolas TL, Schmidt-Ott KM, Canetta P, Forster C, Singer E, Sise M, Elger A, Maarouf O, Sola-Del Valle DA, O'Rourke M, Sherman E, Lee P, Geara A, Imus P, Guddati A, Polland A, Rahman W, Elitok S, Malik N, Giglio J, El-Sayegh S, Devarajan P, Hebbar S, Saggi SJ, Hahn B, Kettritz R, Luft FC, Barasch J. “Diagnostic and Prognostic Stratification in the Emergency Department with Urinary Biomarkers of Nephron Damage: A Multicenter Prospective Cohort Study” J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012; 59(3):246-255.
- Verna EC, Brown RS, Farrand E, Pichardo EM, Forster CS, Sola-Del Valle DA, Adkins SH, Sise ME, Oliver JA, Radhakrishnan J, Barasch JM, Nickolas TL. ‘Urinary Neutrophil Gelatinase-Associated Lipocalin Predicts Mortality and Identifies Acute Kidney Injury In Cirrhosis.Dig Dis Sci. 2012; 57(9):2362-70.
- Nickolas TL, Forster CS, Sise ME, Barasch N, Solá-Del Valle D, Viltard M, Buchen C, Kupferman S, Carnevali ML, Bennett M, Mattei S, Bovino A, Argentiero L, Magnano A, Devarajan P, Mori K, Erdjument-Bromage H, Tempst P, Allegri L, Barasch J. NGAL (Lcn2) monomer is associated with tubulointerstitial damage in chronic kidney disease. Kidney Int. 2012; 82(6): 718-22.
- Sise ME, Parravicini E, Barasch J. Urinary neutrophil gelatinase associated lipocalin identifies neonates with high probability of sepsis. Pediatrics. 2012; 130(4):e1053
- Sise ME, Courtwright A, Channick R. Pulmonary Hypertension in patients with chronic and end-stage kidney disease. Kidney Int. 2013; 84(4):682-92
- Strazzula L, Nigwekar SU, Steele D, Tsiaras W, Sise M, Bis S, Smith GP, Kroshinsky D. Intralesional sodium thiosulfate for the treatment of calciphylaxis. JAMA Dermatol. 2013; 149(8):946-9
- Connors NJ, Sise ME, Nelson LS, Hoffman RS, Smith SW. Methotrexate toxicity treated with continuous venovenous hemofiltration, leucovorinand glucarpidase. Clin Kidney J. 2014; 7(6):590-2.
- Sise ME, Hirsch JS, Canetta PA, Herlitz L, Mohan S. Nonalbumin proteinuria predominates in biopsy-proven tenofovir nephrotoxicity. AIDS. 2015; 29(8):941-6.
- Sise ME, Backman ES, Wenger JB, Wood BR, Sax PE, Chung RT, Thadhani R, Kim AY. “Short and Long-term Effects of Telaprevir on Kidney Function in Patients with Hepatitis C Virus Infeciton: A Retrospective Cohort Study.” PLoS One. 2015; 10(4):e0124139
- Hundemer GL*, Sise ME* (*equal contribution), Wiscoky J, Ufere N, Friedman LS, Corey KE, Chung RT. “Use of Sofosbuvir-Based Direct-Acting Antiviral Therapy for Hepatitis C Viral Infection in Patients with Severe Renal Insufficiency.” Infect Dis. 2015; 47(12):924-9
- Sise ME, Bloom AK, Wisocky J, Lin MV, Gustafson JL, Lundquist A, Steele D, Thiim M, William WW, Hashemi N, Kim AY, Thadhani R, Chung RT. “Treatment of Hepatitis C Virus-Associated Mixed Cryoglobulinemia with Direct Antiviral Agents” Hepatology. 2016; 63(2):408-17
- Department of Medicine
- Sep | 24 | 2019
Bone health specialists typically spend their time trying to figure how to slow or stop the bone loss that leads to osteoporosis. What if they could find a new way to stimulate the growth of new bone tissue instead?
- Press Release
- Jun | 25 | 2019
A biological pathway previously found to contribute to the impact of stress on the risk of cardiovascular disease also may underlie the increased incidence of such disease experienced by individuals with lower socioeconomic status.
- Press Release
- Jun | 13 | 2019
A study based at the Ragon Institute of MGH, MIT and Harvard has determined how a pregnant woman’s vaccine-induced immunity is transferred to her child, which has implications for the development of more effective maternal vaccines.
- Press Release
- Jun | 11 | 2019
A study from Massachusetts General Hospital researchers finds that electronic consultations in allergy and immunology can simplify the process of providing the most appropriate care, often reducing the need for in-person specialist visits.
- Press Release
- Jun | 10 | 2019
New center seeks to address the public health crisis that causes nearly 40,000 firearm deaths each year.
About the Nephrology Division
The Division of Nephrology at Massachusetts General Hospital is a leading provider of services for patients with kidney disease, including diagnosis and management of kidney diseases and medical management of renal transplantation.