The last decade has seen unprecedented advances in our understanding of the biology of the disease, an exponential increase in novel targets and innovative approaches to developing therapies. The annual Healey Center International Prize for Innovation in ALS is a global prize celebrating excellence in research for a team of investigators who catalyse exceptional discoveries leading to a transformative advance in therapy development in ALS.
Sean M. Healey, executive chairman of Affiliated Managers Group, Inc. (AMG) joined AMG when it was a start-up in 1995 and together with his founding colleagues built the firm into one of the largest global asset management companies with over $830 billion under management – AMG is NYSE-listed and a component of the S&P 500. Prior to AMG, Sean began his career as an investment banker in the Mergers and Acquisitions Department at Goldman Sachs.
Mr. Healey was diagnosed with ALS in May 2018. Following his diagnosis, he took a step back from his long-time role of Chairman and CEO at AMG to aggressively pursue treatment at the guidance of his doctor, Merit Cudkowicz, MD, MSc, Chief of Neurology at Mass General. Together, with his company and friends, he established the Sean M. Healey & AMG Center for ALS at Mass General.
Team of investigators who made a significant advance in the ALS field impacting the development of novel therapies for ALS, including, but not limited to the following:
- A technology to identify novel targets for drug development
- A technology to advance therapy development for ALS
- Tools or targets to stratify the ALS population and improve clinical trial design
- A global, multiple disciplinary collaboration that leads to new insights into the biology of the disease and translates into novel approaches for therapy development
- A novel outcome measure to improve efficiency in clinical trials in patients with ALS
Timeline for Submission
- Release Date: May 14, 2021
- Nomination Due Date: July 16, 2021
- Notification to successful candidate: September 2021
- Presentation of award: Virtual 32nd International Symposium on ALS/MND, December 2021
Submit completed nomination form and supporting documents as a single PDF to email@example.com
Award: $50,000 USD
Learn more about the prize and prior recipients.
To learn more about the Sean M. Healey and AMG Center for ALS click here.