March is Endometriosis Awareness Month. John Petrozza, MD, chief of the Division of Reproductive Medicine and In Vitro Fertilization at Massachusetts General Hospital and director of the Mass General Fertility Center, explains what endometriosis is and how it can impact fertility.
This post is part of the Department of OB/GYN’s 2022 Annual Report. You can find the full report here.
While our real rewards are caring for patients, welcoming babies into the world, having a breakthrough in our research, and more, it is also meaningful when our work is recognized by our peers and colleagues. Here is just a small selection from the past year:
- Milena Weinstein, MD, was named a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. The FACS credential exists to foster the professional growth and development of surgeons, promote high standards and best practices in surgical care, and establish and maintain patients’ confidence in the ability and integrity of their surgeon. These Fellows are a rare breed, and the recognition suits Dr. Weinstein perfectly given all her surgical expertise in urogynecology and as key member of the Mass General gender-affirming surgical team
- Katherine D. Pocius, MD, MPH, our Medical Director of Family Planning, recently became board-certified in Complex Family Planning, a new board-certified subspecialty
- Ali Peccei, MD received this year’s Society for Academic Specialists in General Obstetrics and Gynecology Faculty Award, which honors faculty members for their dedication and commitment to the ideals of being an academic generalist
- Kelly Linden, RN, Mass General Fertility Center, is a 2022 Patient Safety Star Award Winner
- Boston Magazine Best Doctors:
- Three OB/GYN nurses received The DAISY Award® for Extraordinary Nurses which honors the exceptional and unique care provided by nurses
- Mass General was named a High Performing Hospital for Maternity Care (Uncomplicated Pregnancy) by U.S. News, making it one of only four Massachusetts hospitals to receive this distinction. The High Performing designation is the highest award a hospital can earn in maternity care.
Members of our department also serve in Mass General Brigham system-wide leadership roles and are elected or appointed to national, state, and regional roles to advance patient care, research, and teaching across the health care system.
- Erin Bradley, MD
- District 1 Chair-Elect for the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Bryann Bromley, MD
- President, Perinatal Quality Foundation
- Allison Bryant, MD, MPH
- Recognized at the Massachusetts State House for Black Excellence on the Hill, a recognition that celebrates Black culture, achievement, creativity, and excellence
- Chair, Massachusetts Department of Public Health Maternal Morbidity and Mortality Review Committee
- Guest Editor, Maternal and Child Health Journal, Special Issue on Black Maternal Health
- Steering Committee, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Special Issue on Racism in Reproductive Health
- Mark Clapp, MD, MPH
- Editorial Fellow, Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Marcela del Carmen, MD, MPH
- 2022 Pinnacle Award, Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce’s Women’s Network. This award recognizes female leaders who have demonstrated resiliency and commitment to the success of their businesses, communities, and Greater Boston
- President, Mass General Physicians Organization
- Executive Vice President, Mass General Brigham
- Member, Board of Directors, Society of Gynecologic Oncology
- Editorial Board, Gynecologic Oncology
- Jeffrey Ecker, MD
- Member, Society of Maternal-Fetal Medicine Health Care Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Member, Clinical Consensus Committee—Obstetrics, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Member, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Opioid Expert Working Group
- Member, Leapfrog Maternity Care Expert Panel
- Andrea Edlow, MD, MSc
- Board Member, Society of Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- Eric L Eisenhauer, MD
- Associate Editor, Journal of Surgical Oncology
- Annekathryn Goodman, MD
- Editorial Board, Menopause
- Michael Greene, MD
- Associate Editor, New England Journal of Medicine
- Caroline Mitchell, MD, MPH
- Editorial Board, Menopause
- Allan S. Nadel, MD
- Editorial Board, Journal of Ultrasound Medicine
- John C. Petrozza, MD
- Suheil J. Muasher, M.D. Distinguished Service Award for his work on the American Society for Reproductive Medicine COVID-19 Task Force
- Mark Phillippe, MD, MHCM
- Associate Editor, Reproductive Sciences
- Malavika Prabhu, MD
- Editorial Board, Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Isaac Schiff, MD
- Editor-in-Chief, Menopause
- Board of Trustees member, The North American Menopause Society
- Jan L. Shifren, MD, NCMP
- Associate Editor, Menopause
- Rachel Sisodia, MD
- Chief Quality Office, Mass General Brigham
- Board of Directors, Massachusetts Coalition for the Prevention of Medical Errors
- Chair of Policy, Quality and Outcomes Committee, Society of Gynecologic Oncology
- Amy Stagg, MD
- Chair of Council on Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology Education Committee for the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Milena Weinstein, MD
- Vice-Chair, Foundation Grants Committee, American Urogynecologic Society
- Hilary Haber, MD, received the highest trainee Harvard Medical School award: Excellence in Clinical Instruction – Resident
- Trevin Lau, MD, received the 2022 Mass General Stephen B. Calderwood, MD Medical Student Teaching Award. It is the highest honor bestowed upon an Mass General faculty member for medical student education
- Ilona Goldfarb, MD, MPH, was recognized with the APGO/CREOG Excellence in Teaching Award, demonstrating excellence in teaching on undergraduate medical education
- Caroline Mitchell, MD, MPH, and Alison Packard, MD, received a Pillars of Excellence Award for their faculty teaching series in the category of Integrating Diversity, Equity & Inclusion for engaging each other with intention and enriching our work environment
- Andrea Edlow, MD, MSc, received NIH R01 funding for work planned in collaboration with Roy Perlis from the Department of Psychiatry: Cellular models of fetal neurodevelopment in maternal SARS-CoV-2 infection.
- Caroline Mitchell, MD, MPH received R01 funding from the NIH for her trial of vaginal microbiota transplant to promote Lactobacillus-dominant cervicovaginal communities. This translational work offers the possibility of breakthrough treatments and builds on basic science from the Mitchell lab.
- Ilona Goldfarb, MD, MPH, received an award from The Risk Management Foundation for her project “Improving postpartum hypertension management: A randomized controlled trial to investigate an algorithm to improve quality and decrease disparities in care”
- The Society for Gynecologic Oncology awarded Amy Bregar, MD, a Foundation for Women’s Cancer Grant for her research targeting early detection of ovarian cancer
- Rumbi Mushavi, MD, received the Society for Academic Specialists in General Obstetrics and Gynecology Resident Award, which honors third- or fourth-year residents who have distinguished themselves academically and demonstrate an interest in a career as an Academic Specialist in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Related News and Articles
- Jan | 3 | 2023
In a year marked by continued COVID surges and national challenges to fundamental reproductive health care, we are proud to have advanced our department’s mission to lead in the care and science of our patient’s reproductive and gynecologic health.
- Patient Education
- Nov | 1 | 2022
Get answers to your questions about pregnant patients and the COVID-19 booster shot.
- Patient Education
- Nov | 1 | 2022
Learn how the Mass General Fertility Center provides state-of-the-art fertility care that is tailored to best suit the individual needs of each patient.
- Patient Education
- Oct | 7 | 2022
Shruthi Mahalingaiah, MD talks about the inspiration behind her animated menstrual cycle exhibit and hopes to destigmatize menstruation. Read her Q&A.
- Aug | 25 | 2022
Researchers conducted a five-year retrospective study to understand the trends in infant mortality (IM) in Nigeria and its associated risk factors.
OB/GYN at Mass General
The Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology at Mass General offers personalized care and innovative treatments from leading experts in obstetrics, gynecology, fertility, cancer, and urogynecology. Learn more about our department.