Please join us in congratulating the 13 Mass General orthopaedic surgeons named Top Doctors by Boston magazine for 2022. This impressive achievement is a testament to the commitment of our clinical team to providing safe, high-quality care while ensuring an exceptional patient experience.
George Theodore, MD
George Theodore, MD
Foot, Ankle & Knee Orthopaedic Surgeon
Team Physician: Boston Red Sox; Consultant: New England Patriots, Boston Bruins, New England Revolution
Instructor in Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass General Orthopaedics: Sports Medicine Center at Charles River Plaza
175 Cambridge St.
Charles River Plaza
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Harvard University School of Public Health
- Residency, Harvard Combined Orthopedic Residency Program
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Theodore's research interests include cartilage injuries. He is internationally recognized for his work on osteochondral injuries of the talus, and received the Nicola Foundation Young Research Award in 2009 from the International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery, and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. He also has developed an innovative online tutorial for the management of cartilage injuries in athletes.
Dr. Theodore is at the forefront of minimally invasive treatments for plantar fasciitis and tendinopathies. He has published extensively on the use of extracorporeal shockwave treatment for fasciitis. He is investigating platelet rich plasma treatments for various sports and dance injuries.
As a consultant to various professional sports teams, Dr. Theodore is pursuing research projects on ankle mechanics for improved sports rehabilitation and injury prevention. He is developing methods for the use of endoscopy to treat tendon and ligament injuries, and he is involved in outcome studies to assess the safety and effectiveness of minimally invasive treatments for knee disorders.
- Ferry AT, Graves T, Theodore GH, Gill TJ. Stress fractures in athletes. Phys Sportsmed. 2010 Jun;38(2):109-16.
- Online CME Tutorial Tutorial: Ferry AT, Theodore GH. 2010 Surgical management of osteochondral lesion of the talus. Orthopedics Hyperguide. Vindico Medical Education.
- Chuckpaiwong B, Berkson EM, Theodore GH. Extracorporeal shock wave for chronic proximal plantar fasciitis: 225 patients with results and outcome predictors. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2009 Mar-Apr;48(2):148-55.
- Chuckpaiwong B, Berkson EM, Theodore GH. Microfracture for osteochondral lesions of the ankle: outcome analysis and outcome predictors of 105 cases. Arthroscopy. 2008 Jan;24(1):106-12.
- Theodore GH, Buch M, Amendola A, Bachmann C, Fleming LL, Zingas C. Extracorporeal shock wave therapy for the treatment of plantar fasciitis. Foot Ankle Int. 2004 May;25(5):290-7.