As a lifelong competitive athlete, Sasha has experienced three bike crashes. He received care at multiple Mass General locations over several years and worked with teams of orthopedic surgeons and physical therapists to build a multidisciplinary approach to his recovery.
Chaitanya Mudgal, MD, MS
Chaitanya Mudgal, MD, MS
Hand & Arm Orthopaedic Surgeon
Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass General Orthopaedics: Hand & Arm Center
55 Fruit St.
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care
Boston, MA 02114
Orthopaedics at Mass General Waltham
52 Second Ave.
1st Floor, Suite 1150
Waltham, MA 02451
- MD, L.T.M. Medical College
- Residency, Harvard Combined Orthopedic Residency Program
- Residency, University of Bombay - LTMG Hospital
- Fellowship, Cleveland Clinic Foundation
American Board Certifications
- Hand Surgery, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Mudgal's research focuses on the identification of complex injury patterns, the evaluation of existing treatment methods and the development of new treatments, both surgical and non-surgical, in order to maximize outcomes. He specializes in a wide array of hand and upper arm disorders, from fractures to tendon and nerve injuries to neurologic disorders. Below are selected highlights from Dr. Mudgal’s extensive research and teaching agenda.
- AO Trauma Hand Series
- PIP fractures - 1:29:13 - 1:34:20
- Scaphoid fracture diagnosis - 30:44 - 45:31
- Radiocarpal Dislocations - 1:05:57 - 1:20:46
- Tendon Transfers in the Upper Limb
- Complex Distal Radius - 1:04:39 - 1:19:45
- Malunion Distal Radius - 09:15 - 21:55 and 44:44 - 56:11
- Metacarpal Fractures - 2:42 - 13:41 and 1:07:44 - 1:19:56
- Scaphoid Fracture - 2:06 - 16:48 and 1:25:17 - 1:37:14
- Extensor Tendon: Repair and Rehabilitation - 58:30 - 1:23:15
- Management of the SLAC / SNAC wrist - 3:45 - 14:42
- Fractures of the distal radius - 360 degrees
- Volar lunate facet fracture - 30:17 - 43:26
- Tendon ruptures about the wrist - 1:53 - 41:20
- Tosti R, Hozack BA, Mudgal CS. Tension Band Wiring in Upper Extremity Surgery. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2020 Dec 15;28(24):1009-1016.
- Garg R, Mudgal C. Galeazzi Injuries. Hand Clin. 2020 Nov;36(4):455-462.
- Gardenier J, Garg R, Mudgal C. Upper Extremity Tendon Transfers: A Brief Review of History, Common Applications, and Technical Tips. Indian J Plast Surg. 2020 Aug;53(2):177-190.
- Özkan S, Mudgal CS, Jupiter JB, Bloemers FW, Chen NC. Scapholunate Diastasis in Distal Radius Fractures: Fracture Pattern Analysis on CT Scans. J Wrist Surg. 2020 Aug;9(4):338-344.
Related News and Articles
- Aug | 10 | 2018
“There is an old Indian proverb, ‘many drops make a lake,’ ” says Chaitanya Mudgal, MD, a hand and upper extremity orthopædic surgeon at the MGH. “These are just some of those drops.”