Please join us in congratulating the 13 Mass General orthopaedic surgeons named Top Doctors by Boston magazine for 2022. This impressive achievement is a testament to the commitment of our clinical team to providing safe, high-quality care while ensuring an exceptional patient experience.
Young-Min Kwon, MD, PhD
Young-Min Kwon, MD, PhD
Vice Chair, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Hip & Knee Replacement Orthopaedic Surgeon
Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass General Orthopaedics: Center for Hip & Knee Replacement
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care
Boston, MA 02114
- PhD, University of Oxford - Wadham College
- MD, University of Sydney School of Public Health
- Residency, Concord Hospital
- Residency, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Fellowship, Balgrist Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Kwon is dedicated to investigating orthopaedic problems and finding solutions that achieve the best outcome for his patients. He has more than 180 peer-reviewed publications. Dr. Kwon's expertise in hip and knee replacements is recognized with invited presentations at national and international scientific meetings. For Dr. Kwon's research investigating adverse reactions in metal-on-metal joint replacements, he has received the Kappa Delta Award from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS). Since their inception in 1947, the Kappa Delta Awards are bestowed by the Academy for outstanding research in orthopaedic surgery that is of the highest significance and impact. Additionally, Dr. Kwon was awarded the prestigious John Charnley Award from The Hip Society.
Dr. Kwon is the Director of the Bioengineering Laboratory as well as the Mass General Center for Metal-on-Metal Hip & Tribocorrosion Evaluation & Treatment.
- Kwon YM, Fehring TK, Lombardi AV, Barnes CL, Cabanela ME, Jacobs JJ. Risk stratification algorithm for management of patients with dual modular taper total hip arthroplasty: consensus statement of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Hip Society. J Arthroplasty. 2014 Nov;29(11):2060-4.
- Kwon YM, Lombardi AV, Jacobs JJ, Fehring TK, Lewis CG, Cabanela ME. Risk Stratification Algorithm for Management of Patients with Metal-on-Metal Hip Arthroplasty: Consensus Statement of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, and The Hip Society. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014 Jan 1;96:e4(1-6).
- Dimitriou D, Tsai TY, Li JS, Nam KW, Park KK, Kwon YM. In vivo kinematic evaluation of Total Hip Arthroplasty during stair climbing. J Orthop Res 2015;33(7):1087-93.
- Tsai TY, Dimitriou D, Li JS, Kwon YM. Does haptic-robot assisted total hip arthroplasty better restore native acetabular and femoral anatomy? Int J Med Robot 2016;12(2):288-295.
- Tsai TY, Dimitriou D, Liow MH, Rubash HE, Li G, Kwon YM. 3D Imaging Analysis of Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty Evaluated in Standing Position: Component Alignment and In-Vivo Articular Contact. J Arthroplasty 2016 May;31(5):1096-101.
- Liow MH, Tsai TY, Dimitriou D, Li G, Kwon YM. Does 3-dimensional in vivo component rotation affect clinical outcomes in unicompartmental knee arthroplasty? J Arthroplasty 2016;31(10):2167-2172.
Related News and Articles
- Patient Story
- Jan | 1 | 2019
Susan's Story: As a fitness instructor and nurse, Susan could not be slowed down by her hip arthritis.
As a fitness instructor and nurse, Susan could not be slowed down by her hip arthritis. Dr. Young-Min Kwon got her back to doing the things she loves.
- Aug | 11 | 2017
Diagnosing adverse local tissue reactions and optimizing clinical treatment and outcomes
- May | 16 | 2019
Patients who plan to undergo TKA should avoid opioid pain medication before surgery in order to optimize postoperative health-related quality of life.