After a three-year hiatus because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 31st annual Richard J. Smith Memorial Lectureship and the 8th Annual Jesse Jupiter International Forum brought surgeons from around the globe to Boston for in-person presentations, roundtable conversations and networking.
Bassem Elhassan, MD
Bassem Elhassan, MD
Co-Chief, Shoulder Service
Program Director, Shoulder Service Fellowship
Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
55 Fruit St.
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, American University of Beirut Medical Center
- Residency, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Mayo Clinic Foundation
American Board Certifications
- Hand Surgery, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Elhassan's main research is focused on understanding the anatomy and biomechanics of the shoulder. He was able, with the help of his colleagues, to create a state-of-the-art shoulder model to conduct his studies on. This model has helped in the evaluation of the kinematics of the scapula and the scapulothoracic articulation. In addition, it helped determine the effectiveness of different muscle transfers to reconstruct the deficient rotator cuff, in native shoulders as well as in shoulders with reverse shoulder arthroplasty.
- Elhassan B, Noureldin M, Kakar S. Proximal Scaphoid Pole Reconstruction Utilizing Ipsilateral Proximal Hamate Autograft. Hand (N Y). 2016 Dec; 11 (4):495-499.
- Kakar S, Noureldin M, Elhassan B. Ulnar head replacement and sigmoid notch resurfacing arthroplasty with a lateral meniscal allograft: 'calamari procedure'. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2017 Jul; 42 (6):567-572.
- Werthel JD, Bertelli J, Elhassan BT. Shoulder function in patients with deltoid paralysis and intact rotator cuff. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2017 Oct; 103 (6):869-873.
- Willemot LB, Elhassan BT, Verborgt O. Bony Reconstruction of the Anterior Glenoid Rim. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2018 May 15; 26 (10):e207-e218.
- Burnier M, Elhassan BT, Sanchez-Sotelo J. Surgical Management of Irreparable Rotator Cuff Tears: What Works, What Does Not, and What Is Coming. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019 Sep 4; 101 (17):1603-1612.
- Tagliero AJ, Bukowski BR, Rose PS, Morrey ME, Elhassan BT, Barlow JD, Wagner ER, Sanchez-Sotelo J, Houdek MT. High incidence of complications associated with shoulder girdle reconstruction utilizing a Stryker proximal humerus cap endoprosthesis following Tikhoff-Linberg resections. Int Orthop. 2020 May 4.
- Reif T, Schoch B, Spiguel A, Elhassan B, Wright T, Sanchez-Sotelo J, Wilke BK. A retrospective review of revision proximal humeral allograft-prosthetic composite procedures: an analysis of proximal humeral bone stock restoration. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2020 Jul; 29 (7):1353-1358 Epub 2020 Feb 12.
- Elhassan BT, Wagner ER, Kany J. Latissimus dorsi transfer for irreparable subscapularis tear. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2020 Oct; 29 (10):2128-2134 Epub 2020 June 09.
- Elhassan BT, Sanchez-Sotelo J, Wagner ER. Outcome of arthroscopically assisted lower trapezius transfer to reconstruct massive irreparable posterior-superior rotator cuff tears. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2020 Oct; 29 (10):2135-2142.
- Wagner ER, Elhassan BT. Surgical Management of Massive Irreparable Posterosuperior Rotator Cuff Tears: Arthroscopic-Assisted Lower Trapezius Transfer. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2020 Oct; 13 (5):592-604.
- Ghoraishian M, Stone MA, Elhassan B, Abboud J, Namdari S. Techniques for lower trapezius tendon transfer for the management of irreparable posterosuperior rotator cuff tears. J Orthop. 2020 Nov-Dec; 22:331-335.
Related News and Articles
- Patient Education
- Jun | 8 | 2021
Specialists from Mass General’s Department of Orthopaedic Surgery offer timely advice on creating an ideal work-from-home setup for relaxed and sustainable productivity.
- Jan | 7 | 2021
Dr. Bassem Elhassan, Co-Chief of the Shoulder Service, has created many surgical techniques throughout his career. When a patient came to him after a serious 4-wheeler accident, Dr. Elhassan used a muscle transfer technique to reduce the patient's pain and help him regain mobility in his shoulder.
- Nov | 16 | 2020
"Very sincerely I am here to try to help more patients, and I am really hoping that what I was able to learn and develop over the years I will keep evolving to make sure the outcomes improve based on research," says Dr. Bassem Elhassan.