Short description of the study goes here. And be sure to update the link below to the new spotlight page you just created.
We strive to ensure diverse and inclusive representation of our department in our center membership, where all trainees, research assistants, support and administrative staff, junior and senior clinical and research faculty (MD, PhD, and LICSW) can thrive to their fullest potential.
Goals of the Center for Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
The Center for Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging has four main goals to promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging at Mass General.
Recruitment and retention of diverse trainees, faculty and staff
Our center advocates for diversity in trainee recruitment and encourages underrepresented minority applicants to join our adult and child psychiatry residency and psychology internship programs through:
- Cross-collaboration with the Harvard Medical School Visiting Clerkship program, Mass General Center for Diversity and Inclusion, and program directors at Mass General/McLean Psychiatry departments and Mass General psychology program directors
- Inclusion of interested trainees as affiliates of the center and program directors as members of the center.
Faculty and Staff Recruitment and Retention
Members are committed to supporting the department’s efforts to recruit and nurture underrepresented minority junior and senior staff by offering outreach, mentorship and support to potential candidates and current staff members.
Diversity education for staff members
Members actively participate in a wide range of activities to promote awareness of topics such as cultural humility, health equity, anti-racism, microaggressions, and microaffirmations. We emphasize the relationship these can have in all aspects of patient interactions and how these encounters may be influenced by cultural differences like age, gender, race, religion, size, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic differences.
Education of our members, the Psychiatry Department, the Mass General clinical and administrative staff, and the wider community about diversity-related topics is accomplished through:
- Invited lecture series at monthly meeting for members
- Faculty retreats for members
- Frances Bonner MD Grand Rounds & award celebration
- Spring Diversity Speaker Series
- Blum Learning Center Brown Bag Lunches for the Mass General community
- Diversity Dialogue Workshops for groups in the Mass General community
- Bias at the Bedside (BATB) upstander workshops
- Publishing articles and books on diversity issues
Trainee education, supervision and mentorship
Our members provide Mass General psychology and psychiatry trainees education to encourage clinical excellence on diversity-related concepts as they apply to the clinician-patient encounter. Center members lead and participate in:
- Lectures on diversity issues in both the psychology and psychiatry trainee core didactics series
- Supervision and mentorship of psychology and psychiatry trainees
Promotion of patient-centered activities
The long-term goals of our center include understanding the diversity of the psychiatric patient population at Mass General and developing strategies to ensure that psychiatric patients of all backgrounds feel welcome at Mass General.
About the Center for Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
The work of the center is carried out through member committees and collaborations with other groups both within the hospital and the larger medical community.
We encourage members of the center to participate in committees related to our center activities or to create committees related to their interests. Current committees include:
- Bonner Award Committee
- Diversity Dialogue Committee
- Latino Mental Health Initiative
- Size Diversity Committee
- Spring Speaker Series Committee
- LGBTQ+ Interest Group
- Racial Justice book group
- Clinical Research Coordinator diversity issues discussion group
Partnerships & Collaborations
We are honored to partner with groups across MGH, MGB, and wider community committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, anti-racism, and justice:
- Mass General Psychiatry Center for Racial Equity and Justice
- Mass General Division of Community and Public Psychiatry
- Mass General Diversity Committee
- Mass General Disparities Solution Center
- Mass General Center for Diversity and Inclusion
- Mass General Equity Leadership Council
- Mass General Brigham Diversity Equity and Inclusion Community of Practice
- Harvard Medical School
- McLean Hospital
- Harvard University Health Services
- YW Boston
- Student National Medical Association
- Latino Medical Student Association
- American Psychiatric Association
Our Center endeavors to ensure accountability through:
- Committee reports and regular updates
- Biannual reports to Psychiatry Chief and Department Leadership
- Reports to the hospital-wide Diversity Committee
Related News and Articles
- Press Release
- Nov | 7 | 2023
New Research Reveals an Advanced Form of Meditation Impacts the Brain and is Linked to Aspects of Well-Being
Results from a new neuroimaging study could be used to enhance wellbeing and inform interventions for mental health conditions.
- Oct | 23 | 2023
Research Spotlight: Telehealth for Psychiatry and Mental Healthcare Can Improve Access and Patient Outcomes
What are the benefits of this more widespread adaption of telehealth services for psychiatry, and what barriers still need to be addressed?
- Press Release
- Oct | 23 | 2023
Heated yoga sessions led to reduced depressive symptoms in adults with moderate-to-severe depression.
- Oct | 20 | 2023
We challenged Dr. Gilman to break down the title of her recent research paper, Identification of ∆9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) impairment using functional brain imaging.
- Oct | 10 | 2023
Election to the NAM is considered one of the highest honors in health and medicine and recognizes individuals who have demonstrated outstanding professional achievement and commitment to service.