The Mass General Department of Psychiatry Center for Diversity hosts events throughout the year related to diversity, awareness and education.
Our annual events include:
- Annual Spring Speaker Series. This event brings in nationally recognized speakers to discuss a wide range of issues around diversity with faculty, trainees and staff
- Frances J. Bonner Award Celebration. This award recognizes an individual who has overcome adversity and has made significant contributions to the field of mental health and the care of minority communities
Past Spring Lecture Series
- 2022: Virtual event with speakers Gang Chen, PhD and Yoel Fink PhD of Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). The title of their talk was "We Are All Gang Chen."
- 2020: Film event – Bedlam (An Intimate Journey into America’s Mental Health Crisis). Director Ken Rosenberg, MD. Event co-sponsored with the Reel Abilities Film Festival. April 6, 2020, virtual screening due to COVID pandemic.
- 2019: Film Screening: Mind/Game: the Unquiet Journey of Chamique Holdsclaw, co-sponsored with the Reel Abilities Film Festival
- 2018: Whose Streets documentary screening, discussion moderated by Deborah Washington, RN, PhD, and Anne Emmerich, MD, and co-sponsored by Mass General's Nursing and Patient Care Services Diversity Program and the Department of Police, Security and Outside Services
- 2017: Best Practices in Behavioral Health for Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming People, presented by Alex Keuroghlian, MD MPH, Interim Director of Education & Training Programs at The Fenway Institute and Robert Li Kitts, MD, Co-faculty Advisor HMS LGBTQ and Allies student organization (LAHMS)
- 2016: Screening of the award-winning documentary film CAN, followed by a panel discussion with producer and director Pearl J. Park
- 2015: Thomas Barber, MD, "Diagnosis and Treatment of Gender Dysphoria: An Introduction for Behavioral Health Clinicians"
- 2014: Ezra Griffith, MD, Lecture on belonging and the mental energy minority communities and women spend on the question "Do I belong?"
- 2012: Screening of a documentary film on the Boston busing crisis, "Can We Talk? How the busing crisis of the 70's remains a contentious issue today"
- 2011: Price Cobbs, MD, President and CEO of Pacific Management Systems, "Diversity: What are the right issues?"
- 2010: Robert “Bobby” Satcher, MD, PhD, “The International Space Station: Diversity in Space”
- 2009: Chet Pierce, MD, "Reflections on being a minority"