Depression is a mood disorder that causes feelings of sadness, numbness or loneliness for long periods of time. On this webpage, you will learn the difference between depression and diabetes burnout.
Intravenous Ketamine Clinic
Jackson Building, 1st floor
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114
Ketamine IV appointments are conducted in the Intravenous Ketamine Clinic on the Mass General main campus on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 5:30 pm-8:00 pm.
Explore This Treatment Program
The Intravenous Ketamine Clinic for Depression at Massachusetts General Hospital combines advanced psychopharmacology expertise with knowledge stemming from a decade of ketamine research. We offer treatment for patients with severe and refractory depression using the medication ketamine given through intravenous infusion or through the nose (intranasal). We work collaboratively with the outpatient treatment team to develop an appropriate plan for each patient.
As a part of the Depression Clinical and Research Program at Mass General, we are committed to advancing our knowledge and ability to treat depression by integrating clinical care and innovative research. We do this through a number of avenues:
- Our consultation services
- The ketamine intravenous (IV) infusion service and intranasal ketamine clinic
- Research studies focused on ketamine treatment
After a thorough consultation process, we offer IV infusions and intranasal ketamine maintenance to patients with severe depression or chronic suicidal ideation.
- “Randomized, double-blind ketamine augmentation in chronically suicidal, treatment-resistant major depression,” American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- “New, rapidly-acting treatments for treatment-resistant depression (RAPID),” National Institute of Mental Health, PI Maurizio Fava, MD
- “Baseline insular dysfunction as a predictor of ketamine’s antidepressant effects in anxious depression,” NARSAD, Brain & Behavior Research Foundation
- Ionescu DF, Swee MB, Pavone KJ, Taylor N, Johnson-Akeju O, Baer L, Nyer M, Cassano P, Mischoulon D, Alpert JE, Brown EN, Nock MK, Fava M, Cusin C. “Rapid and sustained reductions in current suicidal ideation following repeated doses of intravenous ketamine.” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. June 2016.
- Ionescu DF, Felicione JM, Gosai A, Cusin C, Shin S, Shapero BJ, Deckersbach T. “Ketamine-associated brain changes: A review of the neuroimaging literature." Harvard Review of Psychiaty. February 2018.
- Freeman MP, Papakostas GI, Hoeppner B, Mazzone E, Judge H, Cusin C, Mathew S, Sanacora G, Iosifescu D, Trivedi M, Fava M. “Sex differences in response to ketamine as a rapidly acting intervention for treatment resistant depression.” Journal of Psychiatric Research. March 2019.
- Ketamine Non-Responders Exhibit Pathological Increases in Extracellular Free Water Following Treatment–New Evidence of Astrocyte Pathology in Depression. Peyda S, Sydnor VJ, Kubicki M, Karayumak SC, Cheung J, Felicione JM, Shenton ME, Akeju-Johnson O, Pasternak O, Deckersbach T, Cusin C. Annual Meeting of American Society Clinical Pathology, Miami, May 29-June 1, 2018
- Gender Differences in the Response to and Tolerability of Ketamine as a Treatment for Acute Depression. Freeman MP, Papakostas G, Hoeppner B, Mazzone E, Judge H, Cusin C, Mathew S, Sanacora G, Iosifescu D, Trivedi M, Fava M. Annual Meeting of American Society Clinical Pathology, Miami, May 29-June 1, 2018
- Patient Education
- Jul | 9 | 2019
Depression is a mood disorder that causes feelings of sadness, numbness or loneliness for long periods of time. Below, you will learn about depression and what causes it.
- Patient Education
- Jul | 9 | 2019
Depression is a mood disorder that causes feelings of sadness, numbness or loneliness for long periods of time. On this webpage, you will learn how you can support your child.
- Oct | 4 | 2018
With big data and machine learning, you have the ability to potentially find patterns or predictive profiles that may incorporate indicators of risk you would never have thought of, says Dr. Smoller.
- Jun | 18 | 2018
Poor sleep may make it more difficult for people experiencing depression or anxiety to shake off negative feelings
- May | 30 | 2018
People who have mastered these 5 key life skills are likely to experience better physical and mental health as they age.
Pioneering Psychiatry Research
The integration of patient care and clinical research has been a hallmark of the Department of Psychiatry for more than 30 years. Today, the department has the largest clinical research program in the hospital, with studies at the forefront of neuroscience, molecular biology and genetics.