Community Surgery Program
Explore this Program
The Community Surgery Program, part of the Division of Gastrointestinal & Oncologic Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital, provides comprehensive, accessible surgical care to patients in Danvers and Salem, MA—two communities north of Boston.
The community surgery team is made up of board-certified surgeons who offer expertise in general and specialty surgical care, including:
- Breast surgery, including nipple-sparing mastectomies and other advanced treatments to treat conditions of the breast
- Colorectal surgery, to treat conditions of the intestinal tract, colon and rectum, anal canal and perianal area
- Endocrine surgery, to treat diseases of the thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal glands
- Gastroesophageal surgery, to treat benign throat, esophagus and stomach disorders
- Hernia surgery, for all types of complex and complicated cases of abdominal hernias
- Weight loss surgery, to treat obesity, weight disorders and metabolic disease
We are committed to providing our patients with collaborative, specialized care to meet their individual needs—from minor procedures to minimally invasive surgery—using the most sophisticated technology. In all cases, our priority is the health and safety of our patients.
Expert Care, Close to Home
Our patients have access to high-quality surgical care on Boston’s North Shore. Our community locations include:
- Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care in Danvers, MA, with eight state-of-the-art surgical suites dedicated to outpatient procedures (surgery that does not require hospital admission)
- Salem Hospital in Salem, MA, where we perform inpatient procedures (surgery that is followed by a hospital stay)
Conditions We Treat
Our surgeons treat a range of conditions at our community locations, including:
- Acid reflux, gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Colon and rectal disorders, such as constipation and incontinence
- Complex wounds
- Crohn's disease
- Gallbladder diseases, such as gallstones
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Hemorrhoids and other anal diseases
- Skin cancers, such as melanoma and other lesions
- Ulcerative colitis
- Varicose veins and other venous disorders
Our surgeons are skilled in providing exceptional surgical care. Specific procedures that we offer at our community locations include:
- Anti-reflux surgery
- Aortic aneurysm surgery
- Bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass and gastric banding
- Breast surgery
- Carotid artery surgery
- Colon surgery, including colonoscopy
- Colostomy and ileostomy
- Endocrine surgery
- Gastrointestinal surgery and endoscopy
- General surgery
- Hernia surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Pancreatic surgery, including for cancer
- Rectal surgery
- Vascular surgery, including arterial and venous surgery
Patients being treated for cancer will be evaluated and seen by a multidisciplinary care team that includes medical and radiation oncologists from the Mass General Cancer Center.
Meet our team of board-certified surgeons that provide surgical to patients north of Boston.
- Chief , Vascular Surgery, Salem Hospital
- Chief of General Surgery, Salem Hospital
- Surgical Director, Mass General/North Shore Cancer Center
- Clinical Affiliate, Mass General
- Lecturer on Surgery, part-time, Harvard Medical School
- Medical Director Bariatric Surgery Center, Salem Hospital
- Chief, Division of Community Surgery
- Department of Surgery
To assist you and your family, we offer a range of additional patient resources and information.
Full-service, multilingual staff dedicated to coordinating all aspects of your journey.
Visits from family members and friends are an important part of the healing process.