Mass General Cancer Center in Danvers
Explore this Location
The Mass General Cancer Center in Danvers combines the talent and expertise of physicians from Salem Hospital with those from Mass General Cancer Center. Specialists work closely with patients and their primary care physicians to provide continuous care from screening to survivorship.
Our physicians and nursing teams are nationally recognized for their expertise and apply the latest advances in cancer care to screening and prevention, diagnosis, medical, radiation and surgical oncology treatment, and rehabilitation. Patients have access to an extensive array of clinical trials and personalized treatment regimens tailored to individual tumor mutations.
The benefits of being treated at Mass General Cancer Center in Danvers include:
- Access to the latest medical treatments, radiation therapies and surgical techniques
- Genotyping of tumors to help identify mutations that may be treated with “smart drugs” targeted to specific cancer types
- Rapid results for fine-needle biopsies through our on-site pathology lab
- Multidisciplinary clinics where patients and their medical, radiation and surgical oncologists meet in a single appointment to plan all aspects of care
- 24 infusion bays for chemotherapy
- Three state-of-the-art linear accelerators for radiation therapy
- Frameless and full-body stereotactic radiosurgery to precisely target tumors
- Comprehensive imaging (X-ray, diagnostic mammogram, CT scan, MRI) available on site
- A dedicated blood lab and pharmacy for cancer patients
- Comprehensive support programs including wellness services, support groups and a resource room
Our medical oncologists have extensive experience treating cancer and work closely with patients and their care teams, including specialists in surgical and radiation oncology, to plan the best combination and timing of medical therapies. All medical oncologists at Mass General Cancer Center are fellowship trained and board certified.
Medical therapies available include:
- Chemotherapy in our infusion bays, which have recliner chairs and individual televisions and are spacious enough to allow you to bring a guest to accompany you during treatment. Our infusion bays in Danvers have a sunny view overlooking tidal wetlands and a healing garden
- Hormonal therapies to treat cancers whose growth is encouraged by hormones
- Oral chemotherapies in pill form that can be taken at home
- Targeted therapies matched to individual tumor mutations through genotyping
- Supportive care therapies to eliminate or reduce symptoms that can interfere with quality of life
- Clinical trials of promising new therapies
Our team of radiation oncologists offers a variety of radiation treatments to treat cancer. Radiation therapy may be given alone, or in combination with surgery and chemotherapy. Radiation oncology services at Mass General Cancer Center in Danvers combine the latest technology with a team of professionals who are specially trained in the planning and delivery of radiation therapy.
Our team meets weekly to discuss every new case, ensuring that each patient’s care plan is extensively reviewed. Our resources in Danvers include:
- Three state-of-the-art linear accelerators for radiation therapy, which provide advanced CT positioning systems and intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) for the most accurate delivery of radiation while minimizing damage to surrounding tissues
- Frameless stereotactic radiation
- Full-body stereotactic radiation
- Image-guided radiotherapy (IGRT)
- Adaptive radiotherapy
- Breathing motion management
- Advanced prostate brachytherapy techniques
- Access to national radiation research protocols
In addition to our state-of-the-art equipment, we have one the most thorough and dynamic quality review programs. As a result, we maintain one of the best safety records for the administration of radiation.
For many of our patients, surgery is an important part of their cancer treatment plan. At the Mass General Cancer Center in Danvers, each patient’s care team includes exceptional surgeons who have extensive experience in using the latest surgical techniques to treat cancer.
Surgical techniques include:
- Minimally invasive and laparoscopic techniques, which help reduce post-operative scarring and pain
- Innovative procedures designed to save as much healthy tissue as possible, including sphincter-sparing surgery for many types of colorectal cancer
All disease programs include a team of multidisciplinary specialists who provide innovative, individually tailored treatment to patients. The full spectrum of care includes the latest treatment options as well as conventional care options.
Our multidisciplinary group of cancer experts develops and implements a personalized care plan for each patient. Depending on the stage and other characteristics of a patient’s cancer, treatment may include surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy or a combination of these therapies. Our physicians work closely with their colleagues in Boston and can provide patients with integrated access the expertise of world-renowned cancer sub-specialists and treatment options. Members of your care team meet with you regularly and communicate frequently with your referring physician to ensure seamless coordination of care.
Our multidisciplinary team of specialists provides innovative, individually tailored treatments for all types of brain and central nervous system tumors, from the most common to the extremely rare. We offer the full spectrum of conventional care options as well as promising new therapies.
The multidisciplinary breast cancer clinic at the Mass General Cancer Center in Danvers provides access to multiple breast cancer specialists focused on creating a treatment plan tailored to the needs of each patient. We work closely with the Mass General/North Shore Breast Health Center to help patients transition from diagnosis to treatment. Our experts are also happy to provide you with a second opinion as you evaluate your treatment options.
We offer a collaborative and caring approach to the diagnosis and treatment of patients with confirmed or suspected gastrointestinal cancer.
We provide individualized, compassionate care and the most advanced treatments for women with all gynecologic cancers.
Head and Neck Cancers
Our multidisciplinary team of head and neck cancer specialists treats patients with a variety of tumors.
Hematology and Blood Disorders
We offer innovative treatment for a broad spectrum of blood disorders, both non-cancerous and cancerous.
Leukemia, Lymphoma and Multiple Myeloma
The multidisciplinary thoracic clinic at the Mass General Cancer Center in Danvers provides state-of-the-art care to our lung cancer patients, as well as patients with other thoracic cancers.
The multidisciplinary melanoma clinic at the Mass General Cancer Center in Danvers integrates the most current knowledge of cancer genetics, resources for diagnosing and staging skin cancers, and leading-edge treatment approaches to provide personalized care and support services to patients diagnosed with invasive or non-invasive melanoma.
The multidisciplinary urology clinic at the Mass General Cancer Center in Danvers serves patients with: Prostate cancer; Kidney cancer; Penile cancer; Testicular cancer; Bladder cancer.
Sarcoma and Orthopaedic Cancer
Our specialists offer extensive expertise in diagnosing and treating bone and soft tissue tumors, both malignant and benign.
Cancer research – both in the laboratory and in the clinical setting – is constantly improving and expanding treatment options for our patients. The Mass General Cancer Center in Danvers offers patients access to a wide variety of clinical trials of promising new therapies. Your care team will be happy to discuss clinical trials with you as part of your overall treatment plan. Learn more about clinical trials at Mass General Cancer Center.
Meet our multidisciplinary team of cancer specialists.
Learn about the variety of services available to patients at Mass General Cancer Center in Danvers.
Our genetic counselors provide comprehensive genetic counseling and testing services.
Palliative Care services are available to patients during any phase of cancer treatment.