In this presentation from April 9, 2021, in recognition of National Minority Health Month, Beverly Moy, MD, MPH, Brenda Lormil, NP, and Evelyn Abayaah, discuss the ongoing efforts to improve the quality of cancer care among underserved populations of cancer patients.
Explore the Cancer Care Equity Program
While each clinical trial schedule is different, often patients have frequent treatment and follow-up appointments. This can present very unique obstacles and difficulties to each and every one of our patients. While obstacles can range from needing child care to difficulty taking time off of work to requiring special transportation for a handicap, many challenges to clinical trial participation are financially-based. Even when patients have insurance that covers medical costs, there are many other costs, such a gas, hotels, and childcare, that can take a toll on patients and their families.
Mass General recognizes these challenges and has developed the Cancer Care Equity Program to provide support to its patients who are financially burdened by clinical trial participation. We strongly believe that all patients, regardless of financial resources, should have access to the many cutting-edge clinical trials available at the Mass General Cancer Center.
The Cancer Care Equity Program works to provide financial assistance for the unique challenges of clinical trial participation. Eligible patients may qualify for assistance with travel and lodging costs. Program eligibility is determined based on each individual patient.
Candid Conversations about Clinical Trials for our Communities
In this series of discussions, learn about the importance of clinical trials, the care team involved, and hear first-hand about a patient’s experience.
Meet the Team
- Clinical Director of the Breast Oncology Program
- Director of Clinical Research, Cancer Center
- Clinical Associate in Psychology
- Program Director, Cancer Center Smokefree Support Service
- Professor, Psychiatry & Medicine at MGH, Harvard Medical School
- Associate Director, Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Program
- Director, Adolescent and Young Adult Research and the Mind Body Program for Cancer Survivors
- Assistant Professor of Psychology, Harvard Medical School
- Primary Care
- Department of Medicine
- Principal Investigator, Cancer Care Equity Program
We asked Mass General Cancer Center clinical trial patients to answer FAQs.
Learn about the Collaborative Care and Community Engagement Program.