- Recommended for: Difficulty Swallowing, High Calorie, Taste Changes, Poor Appetite, Dry Mouth, Diarrhea
- Makes ~12 servings
- Provides 110 calories, 3 grams protein per 2T serving
- 1 medium roasted beet, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups garbanzo beans (or one 15oz can drained)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp Tahini
- 2-3 Tbsp lemon fresh lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- To roast the beets, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Wrap beets in foil, cook 45-60 minutes until fork tender.
- Place garbanzo beans, beets, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- While the food processor or blender is running, stream in olive oil. Serve with pita, chopped vegetables, or whole grain crackers.
- Beets contain nutrients to support a strong cardiovascular system, and have been shown to have anti-tumor properties. They also contain lutein, an important nutrient for eye health.
- Beans are an excellent source of protein, folate, and iron.
- Add extra lemon to help perk up your taste buds if experiencing taste changes.
- Add an extra long drizzle of olive oil to boost the calorie content if you are losing weight.