- Recommended for: High Calorie, Poor Appetite, Difficulty Swallowing, Sore Mouth, Diarrhea, Dry Mouth
- Serves 2
- Provides 450 calories, 5g protein per serving (using protein powder will add another 10g protein)
Chocolate Hazelnut Avocado Mousse
For the mousse:
- 1.5-2 avocados
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp roasted hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp hazelnut cream honey (or regular honey)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or other milk of choice
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (optional)
- Mint leaves (optional)
- Pomegranate seeds or raspberries (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chopped, roasted hazelnuts (optional)
- Melt the chocolate chips over a stovetop (a double boiler works best).
- Combine the melted chocolate with the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Spoon into a small bowl or glass and add your desired garnishes.
- This mousse is a delicious, but also nutritious treat that you can enjoy for dessert, a snack or even for breakfast!
- Avocados are high in healthy monounsaturated fats, and provide a calorie boost if you are losing weight. They are also very nutrient dense and contain over 20 vitamins and minerals which are important for healing, electrolyte balance, and energy metabolism, including potassium, folate, B vitamins, andantioxidant-rich vitamin E.
- For higher protein: blend 1 scoop chocolate protein powder into mixture (may need to add more almond milk).
Recipe provided by MGH Cancer Center Dietitians