Whole Grain Pesto Pasta with Vegetables
- Recommended for: High Calorie, High Protein, Constipation
This recipe is incredibly versatile. Start with any whole grain such as whole wheat pasta, farro, quinoa, or even wild rice. Add frozen tri-colored peppers, spinach and roasted tomatoes, broccoli, onion and garlic. And for a protein boost, toss in chick peas (garbanzo beans) or cannellini beans. To give this recipe more zing, try adding homemade pesto!
- Whole wheat pasta, farro, quinoa or wild rice
- 1 bag frozen broccoli (or fresh)
- 1 bag frozen tri colored peppers (or fresh)
- 1 onion
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 2 cups cherry tomato (Or can use Rao’s jarred tomato sauce)
- Dried oregano, basil or favorite “Italian blend” dried herb mix
- 1 can cannellini beans or chick peas (garbanzo beans)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Pesto (see recipe below)
- Make pesto (recipe below) and set aside.
- Make whole grain
- according to direction on the box. Make 1 box of pasta, or 2 cups of other grain.
- For vegetables
- If using frozen, place in bowl and microwave. If using fresh, chop and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet (parchment paper allows you to use less oil). Sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper and 1T olive oil. Roast at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes (until browned). Add squeeze of lemon juice to cooked vegetables.
- For the tomatoes, onion and garlic
- slice small hole into cherry/grape tomatoes to allow them to “burst” while roasting. If using larger tomatoes, slice into wedges. Place tomatoes on baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice onion, and leave garlic cloves whole (chop garlic if feeling ambitious). Sprinkle with sea salt, sprinkle of black pepper and 1T olive oil. Roast at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes (until skin softens and looks loose). To make into a sauce, blend in food processor or blender, or transfer vegetables to a pot to use an immersion blender.
- Serve grain topped with tomato sauce, vegetables and pesto. Top with cannellini beans or chick peas for extra protein punch!
Pesto (Adapted from the Minimalist Baker)
- 2-3 cups arugula or basil
- 4T nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese
- 3T olive oil
- 2T lemon juice
- 2T water
- 1/4c walnuts or pine nuts
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Blend ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth
- Use as a topping to grains, bread/toast, eggs, sweet potatoes, and so much more!