Our goal is for every employee to feel like a connected and valued member of our community, encouraged to reach out for the opportunities that inspire them and empowered to realize their greatest potential.
Mass General Offers Equal Access to All
You carry with you a culture, energy and perspective that are all your own. Massachusetts General Hospital is proud of our long-standing diversity initiatives, developed under the leadership of Peter Slavin, MD, Mass General president, and Marcela del Carmen, MD, Interim President of the Massachusetts General Hospital Physicians Organization (MGPO) and Chief Medical Officer:
- Organizational Commitment to Leadership in Diversity Practices
- The Diversity Committee sets the institution-wide diversity goals and priorities for the organization and provides oversight of programming and key initiatives. The committee is led by members of the executive leadership team of the Mass General and the Massachusetts General Physicians Organization and reports into General Executive Committee, chaired by the Mass General president.
- The Center for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) focuses on translating the growing number of students and trainees underrepresented in medicine into future faculty leaders, and promoting the careers and cultural competency of Mass General physicians
- The Association of MGH Multicultural Professionals (AMMP) is an employee resource group committed to the recruitment, retention and development of multicultural professionals into leadership roles at Mass General
- The Office for Women’s Careers is dedicated to the promotion of women into leadership and faculty positions and the retention of women faculty
Resources for Equal Access
- The Council on Disabilities Awareness improves access for patients, family members and staff with disabilities
- The Disparities Solutions Center develops practical strategies to eliminate racial and ethnic disparities in health care
- Medical Interpreter Services are available to provide oral and written language services, in more than 55 languages, including American Sign Language, for patients, family and staff
- Cross-cultural education is available to all members of the hospital community.
- Executive Committee on Community Health
Education and Development Programs
- “Steps to Success” Workshops assist adult learners with goal setting and implementing a plan for education or training
- ESOL classes are available on-site for employees, offering 10 classes at six levels ranging from beginner to advanced
- The Tuition Assistance Program offers benefits-eligible employees reimbursement of up to $2,000 per year
- The Support Services Employee Grant Program provides eligible support services employees with up to $1,500 in up-front financial assistance to advance their education, clinical, technical, service or administrative skills
- The Hausman Fellowship offers nursing students from diverse backgrounds a range of clinical experiences designed to inform and enrich their future nursing practice
Progressive Benefits and Resources
- Resources for child care and emergency back-up child care
- Elder care referral services
- The Mothers’ Corner, a private, comfortable space where new mothers can express their milk while at work
- Adoption parenting leave
- Retiree medical insurance
A Commitment that Extends to Our Communities
- Mass General employees actively participate in the YMCA Achievers of Greater Boston Program, which engages urban teens in hands-on learning emphasizing college readiness, career exploration and leadership development
- The Mass General Youth Scholars Program, in partnership with East Boston High School and Health Careers Academy, introduces Boston students to the challenging and rewarding careers available in the field of healthcare
- Mass General has ongoing partnerships with community organizations such as NAACP, Concerned Black Men of Massachusetts, Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission, National Association of Asian American Professionals, Operation Able, Latino Professional Network and the Urban League
- Mass General managers and physicians participate in two local leadership programs: YW Boston’s Lead Boston and the Boston Partnership, Inc.
- Mass General champions an annual Stand Against Racism, part of a national campaign to raise awareness around issues of race and racism that still exist today.
Networking & Recognition Opportunities
- Employee Resource Groups: Well-established resource groups include the Association of MGH Multicultural Professionals (AMMP); the LGBT Employee Resource Group, Employees with Disabilities Resource Group; the Center for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) and its Resident and Fellow Committee; the Chinese Students and Staff Association; the MGH Military Veteran Partners; and the Committee for Latino Initiatives.
- Hospital-sponsored celebrations: Celebrations of cultural and religious traditions are hospital-wide, including: Latino Heritage Month, Iftar, Diwali and Chanukah
- The Ernesto Gonzalez Award: This annual award recognizes Mass General employees who have made significant contributions to improving the experience of Latino patients, families, visitors and employees within Mass General and the community at large.
- The Disability Champion Award: Given each year by the Employees with Disabilities Resource Group, this award honors individuals for their commitment to making the hospital more accessible for patients, visitors, and employees.
- Excellence in Action Awards: Mass General Pres. Peter L. Slavin, MD, recognizes employees who exhibit our “credo” in action.
- Mass General Brigham in Excellence Award: Each year, hundreds of Mass General employees who go above and beyond the call of duty are recognized by their managers and peers.
Careers at Mass General
Explore job openings at Massachusetts General Hospital, which offers career pathways across all areas of patient care, research, hospital administration and operations.