Weight Center Procedure Preparation Instructions
Massachusetts General Hospital Weight Center
50 Staniford Street, 4th Floor
Boston, Massachusetts 02114
Hours: 7:30 am to 6:00 pm, Monday through Friday
Near Public Transit
View all Weight Center locations
Explore Our Resources
Preparing for Your Surgical Procedure
Mass General is an accredited member of the American College of Bariatric Surgery Center Network. We offer the following surgical options for appropriate patients seeking weight loss:
- Sleeve gastrectomy (also known as gastric sleeve): An alternative to gastric banding, this leading-edge procedure involves removal of three quarters of the stomach
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: Staples are used to divide the stomach into a small pouch and larger remnant. This procedure may be conducted laparoscopically (a minimally invasive approach that requires only small incisions) or as standard open surgery
- Revisional surgery: This is an option for patients suffering from complications of previous weight loss surgery
As a Weight Center patient, we want you to feel informed and prepared for your upcoming procedure. This page contains information and resources that will help you navigate your pre- and post-surgical journey.
Our Surgical Team
Our surgeons are members of a multidisciplinary team of obesity experts who are leading the way in providing innovative obesity treatment, including state-of-the-art surgical programs.
- Vice Chair of Clinical Operations, Department of Surgery
- Surgical Director, Mass General Weight Center
- Section Head, Swallowing, Heartburn and Esophageal Disease Program
- Professor in Surgery, Harvard Medical School
- Director of the Codman Center for Clinical Effectiveness in Surgery
- Assistant Professor of Surgery Harvard Medical School
- Director, Surgical Artificial Intelligence and Innovation Laboratory
- General and Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Department of Surgery
Patient Story: Kim's Successful Weight Loss Surgery
After her weight loss surgery, Kim W.'s life transformed for the better.
Instructions and other informative resources designed to prepare you for your upcoming procedure.
Pain Management Guide
Learn more about how to manage and assess pain after bariatric and metabolic surgery.
Countdown to Surgery
This countdown will provide you with basic instructions to follow in the time before your
Important actions to take after surgery to facilitate healing.
Preventing Infection Before and After Surgery
Infection prevention starts in the days before your surgical procedure.
A set of detailed instructions to follow before your surgical procedure.
In-Person Visits: What to Expect
We have taken unprecedented steps to ensure your in-person visits are welcoming and safe.
Getting Around Mass General
The Mass General main campus includes many buildings, dining options, parking and gift shops. Our maps can help you find your way around the hospital.
Digestive Health Advances in Motion
Advances in Motion highlights the latest breakthroughs, research and clinical trials in digestive healthcare from experts at Mass General.
Our Weight Loss Surgery Program offers a full spectrum of safe and effective surgical procedures for obesity, weight disorders and metabolic disease.