Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass General Hospital Cancer Center
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Mass General/North Shore Cancer Center
102 Endicott Street
Danvers, MA 01923-3623
- MD, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
- Residency, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- Fellowship, Dana Farber Cancer Institute
American Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Hematology, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Al-Samkari specializes in conducting research on non-malignant hematologic diseases, with a focus on disorders of hemostasis, thrombosis, and hemolysis. He runs clinical trials of new medications primarily in hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (HHT), thrombocytopenias (disorders of low platelet count, including immune thrombocytopenia or ITP and chemotherapy-induced thrombocytopenia or CIT), hemophilia, and hereditary red cell disorders (including pyruvate kinase deficiency and thalassemia). He has published over 50 scholarly manuscripts and research abstracts in these areas and has presented numerous oral research presentations at national and international scientific conferences. which have been selected for a number of research awards.
- Al-Samkari H, Rodriguez-Lopez JM, Kuter DJ. Systemic Bevacizumab for the Treatment of Chronic Bleeding in Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia. Journal of Internal Medicine 2019 Feb;285(2):223-231.
- Al-Samkari H, Shin K, Cardoni L, Pighetti EH, Rits S, McMahon L, Perkins R, Uluer A, Connors JM. Antifibrinolytic Agents for Hemoptysis Management in Adults with Cystic Fibrosis. Chest 2019 Jun;155(6):1226-1233.
- Al-Samkari H, Marshall AL, Goodarzi K, Kuter DJ. Romiplostim for the Management of Perioperative Thrombocytopenia. British Journal of Haematology 2018 Jul;182(1):106-113.
- Al-Samkari H, Marshall AL, Goodarzi K, Kuter DJ. The use of romiplostim in treating chemotherapy-induced thrombocytopenia in patients with solid tumors. Haematologica 2018 Apr;103(4):e169-e172.
- Al-Samkari H, Kuter DJ. Thrombopoietin Level Predicts Response to Treatment with Eltrombopag and Romiplostim in Immune Thrombocytopenia. American Journal of Hematology 2018 Dec;93(12):1501-1508.
- Al-Samkari H, Van Cott EM, Kuter DJ. Platelet aggregation response in immune thrombocytopenia patients treated with romiplostim. Annals of Hematology 2019 Mar;98(3):581-588.
- Al-Samkari H, Kuter DJ. An Alternative Intermittent Eltrombopag Dosing Protocol for Treatment of Chronic Immune Thrombocytopenia. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 2018 Nov;84(11):2673-2677.