Medical Interpreters enable effective communication between patients and family members who are limited English proficient or Deaf and Hard of Hearing and their providers to ensure the highest quality of care & safety for all patients.
MGH Medical Interpreters abide by the International Medical Interpreters Association (IMIA) and National Council for Interpreters in Health Care (NCIHC) Professional Standards of Practice and the Code of Ethics for Medical Interpreters.
We seek highly qualified, trained medical interpreters for staff and freelance positions at our main campus, and our affiliated Community Health Centers & medical offices in and around Boston.
Do You Have These Qualifications?
Excellent Language Skills & Knowledge of Terminology and Subject Matter
- Oral & written fluency in English and one or more other languages
- Strong medical vocabulary & understanding of medical context in those languages
Excellent Interpreting Skills
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the IMIA & NCIHC Medical Interpreters Professional Standards of Practice & Interpreters Code of Ethics
- Excellent retention & mnemonic skills for highly accurate consecutive interpretation
Relevant Work Experience & Education
- 1 to 2 years of interpreting work experience
- 1 to 2 years of work experience in a healthcare setting
- College degree* preferred, preferably in sciences, human services, or languages & interpretation (* Bachelor degree preferred & required for some staff positions)
- Formal training in medical interpreting
- National certification preferred (CMI, QMI, CHI, AHI, RID)
Essential Professional Skills Excellent customer service & interpersonal skills; a positive approach to work
- Familiarity and comfort working with diversity of cultural/socio-economic backgrounds
- Ability to follow protocols and requirements of medical setting
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment & to adapt to changing priorities of clinical setting
If YES, you may be a good candidate for our team.
To be considered, submit your resume. We evaluate all resumes. If you meet our qualifications and needs, we will contact you for further evaluation as a candidate.
Please submit your resume to: email@example.com
For current job openings please visit the MGH Careers site, http://www.massgeneral.org/careers/
NO WALK-IN APPOINTMENTS.