Procedural sedation uses medications to help you feel comfortable during your procedure. We give you the medications through an IV. They may make you feel drowsy and give you a warm feeling.
Throughout the procedure, a nurse or a doctor will talk to you and ask how you're feeling. If you are uncomfortable in any way, please tell your nurse or doctor.
How to Prepare for your Procedure with Sedation
The Day Before Your Procedure
Please eat and drink as you normally would. Be sure to drink adequate fluids to ensure you are well hydrated.
Starting at 10:00 pm the Night Before Your Procedure
- Please stop eating completely.
- Only drink liquids you can see through. Choices inclue water, apple juice, cranberry juice, grape juice, regular or diet soda, black coffee or tea, sports drinks such as Gatorade® or an electrolyte drink such as Pedialyte®.
- Please try to drink one or two tall glasses of liquid every one to two hours while you are awake up until three hours before your procedure.
- Please only drink one cup of coffee before your procedure.
- Stop eating candy, breath mints and chewing gum.
Three Hours Before Your Procedure
Please stop drinking all liquids. If you drink anything at this time, we may need to reschedule your procedure.