In 2022, the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery welcomed six new physicians to their team.
Augustus "Gus" D. Mazzocca, MD
Augustus "Gus" D. Mazzocca, MD
Medical Director, Mass General Brigham Sports Medicine
Chief, Sports Medicine Service
Member of the Faculty, Harvard Medical School
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Sports Medicine Service
Charles River Plaza
175 Cambridge St., 4th Floor
Boston, MA 02114
Sports Medicine at Mass General Waltham
52 Second Ave.
3rd Floor, Suite 3300
Waltham, MA 02451
Brigham and Women's/Mass General Health Care Center at Foxborough
20 & 22 Patriot Place
Foxboro, MA 02035
- MD, University of Conn. Health Ctr.
- Residency, University of Conn. Health Ctr.
- Fellowship, Rush University Medical Center
American Board Certifications
- Orthopedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Sports Medicine - Orthopaedics, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Mazzocca's research is based on his experience with patient outcomes, diagnosis and treatment - operative and nonoperative. In all of these areas, Dr. Mazzocca looks for ways to improve the standard of care for patients to have a more efficient return to activity or provide an improved technique, which results in better overall outcomes for their lives. Dr. Mazzocca does this by dividing his research into three distinct clinical areas.
- Cell biology: looking at new biologic solutions to bone tendon healing involving Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP), bone marrow and various other healing cells.
- Biomechanics: evaluating the strength and durability of surgical repairs, also evaluating new and improved surgical techniques for all areas of the musculoskeletal system.
- Clinical outcomes: evaluating the data collected from patients on how much their specific pain has improved and how fast they were able to get back to work and sports.
Dr Mazzocca's research interests include a clinical focus on shoulder instability and arthritis, elbow and rotator cuff injury and repair, and shoulder surgery outcomes. It also includes a component of surgical education improving teaching of our medical students, residents and fellows. Local, national and international collaborations are extremely important to Dr. Mazzocca's research efforts and a mainstay of the labs he directs. Dr Mazzocca has patents on processes designed to improve healing of rotator cuff repairs, as well as devices that aid in shoulder joint reconstruction.
See a full list of publications on PubMed.
- Muench LN, Berthold DP, Otto A, Dyrna F, Bell R, Obopilwe E, Cote MP, Imhoff AB, Mazzocca AD, Beitzel K. Increased Glenohumeral Joint Loads Due to a Supraspinatus Tear Can Be Reversed With Rotator Cuff Repair: A Biomechanical Investigation. Arthroscopy. 2022 May;38(5):1422-1432.
- Levy BJ, McCarthy MB, Lebaschi A, Sanders MM, Cote MP, Mazzocca AD. Subacromial Bursal Tissue and Surrounding Matrix of Patients Undergoing Rotator Cuff Repair Contains Progenitor Cells. Arthroscopy. 2022 Apr;38(4):1115-1123.
- LeVasseur MR, Mancini MR, Kakazu R, Cusano A, Spencer MD, Pina MJ, Cote MP, Mazzocca AD. Three-Dimensional Footprint Mapping of the Deltoid and Trapezius: Anatomic Pearls for Acromioclavicular Joint Reconstruction. Arthroscopy. 2022 Mar;38(3):701-708.
- Cusano A, Kanski G, Uyeki C, Adams K, Cote MP, Muench LN, Connors JP, Garvin P, Messina JC, Berthold DP, Kissenberth MJ, Mazzocca AD. Outcomes of Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty Following Failed Superior Capsular Reconstruction. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2022 Feb 2:S1058-2746(22)00188-4.
- Berthold DP, LeVasseur MR, Muench LN, Mancini MR, Uyeki CL, Lee J, Beitzel K, Imhoff AB, Arciero RA, Scheiderer B, Siebenlist S, Mazzocca AD. Minimum 10-Year Clinical Outcomes After Arthroscopic 270? Labral Repair in Traumatic Shoulder Instability Involving Anterior, Inferior, and Posterior Labral Injury. Am J Sports Med. 2021 Dec;49(14):3937-3944.
- Lohre R, Warner JJP, Morrey BR, Athwal GS, Morrey ME, Mazzocca AD, Goel DP. Mitigating Surgical Skill Decay in Orthopaedics Using Virtual Simulation Learning. J Am Acad Orthop Surg Glob Res Rev. 2021 Oct 12;5(10).
Related News and Articles
- Sep | 1 | 2022
Shoulder and Elbow Specialist Gus Mazzocca, MD, joins Department and System as Medical Director of Mass General Brigham Sports Medicine
Augustus “Gus” D. Mazzocca, MD, an internationally renowned orthopedic surgeon specializing in complex shoulder and elbow diagnoses, has been named the first medical director for Mass General Brigham Sports Medicine.