Translational research at Massachusetts General Hospital is a dynamic process that brings new scientific discoveries from the lab into the clinic, where they can benefit patients.
Mass General provides a uniquely productive setting for translational research by pairing a vast fundamental research enterprise with one of the top clinical programs in the country. This provides excellent opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration.
The translation of scientific discoveries to clinical practice is rapidly rising on the list of research priorities, as stakeholders adjust to changing realities regarding:
- The levels and sources of funding for biomedical research
- Increasing sponsor expectations for clinically relevant and commercially viable research results
- Growing recognition that pressing biomedical problems have a better chance of being solved in research environments with contributors from multiple disciplines
Mass General is ideally positioned to contribute to and benefit from this burgeoning emphasis on translational research. Its mission—to excel in clinical medicine and scientific research, and to lead in training for both—contains the essential ingredients for successful translational research initiatives that will improve patient care.
We do this by:
- Launching the Bridging Academia with Industry training program to teach up-and-coming investigators how to think translationally and work with industry
- Developing programmatic research efforts in cardiometabolics, neurodegeneration in neuroinflammation, epigenetics, immuno-oncology, the microbiome and rare diseases through our Strategic Alliances Initiative
- Opening the Translational Research Center, an 18-bed in-patient facility that is designed to partner with industry for first-in-patient clinical trials
- Creating a series of "Think Tanks" that bring together researchers, venture capitalists and members of industry to brainstorm solutions for challenges in rare diseases, neurodegeneration and other key areas of need
- To learn more, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org