What Can I Expect My Child to Be Worried About?
What your child is worried about depends on his age and developmental level.
In children age 6 and younger, worries include:
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Challenges with learning and eating a new diet
In children age 6-11, worries include:
- Adjusting to school with a diabetes diagnosis
- Keeping positive family interactions around diabetes
- Preventing diabetes from interfering with everyday activities
In children age 11 and older, worries include:
- Balancing independence with family support
- Learning to manage diabetes on their own
- Feelings Your Child Might Have After a Diabetes Diagnosis
- How to Support Your Child Through a Diabetes Diagnosis
- How to Support Your Teen Through a Diabetes Diagnosis