Pediatric Emergency Medicine
MGfC Emergency Medicine
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114
Near public transit
To schedule an appointment with a MassGeneral for Children pediatric specialist, please call 888-644-3248 or complete our online appointment form to request an appointment.
Physicians may call 888-644-3211 or use the online referral form and the Access & New Appointment Center will call your patient within one business day.
Explore This Treatment Program
Care During COVID-19
Our dedicated physicians, nurses and staff are committed to providing the best possible care for children. We have taken unprecedented steps to ensure office visits and procedures are welcoming and safe. Your child’s health and safety is our top priority. Learn more.
The Pediatric Emergency Department at Mass General for Children cares for over 14,000 patients a year. Doctors and nurses specially trained in emergency medicine are available 24 hours a day to handle emergencies including serious illnesses and injuries. Infants, children, and adolescents are treated in a child-friendly setting within the Emergency Department at Mass General, but with a separate waiting room and exam rooms. If your child needs specialized care, the Emergency Department has access to the 300 physicians, 50 medical specialties, and 15 surgical services of Mass General for Children.
The new pediatric ED has many child- and family-friendly features to help make your child’s visit smooth and minimize stress for you and your child, including:
- Six child-friendly, private rooms, including one room specifically for infectious disease
- Exam rooms that accommodate your child and family members if both need emergency care at the same time
- Child Life Specialists who help your child and family throughout the hospital experience through playtime, age-appropriate education about your child’s care and preparing your child for procedures or exams
- A colorful waiting area with iPads® and age-appropriate toys
- Televisions and DVD controls in every room
- Relaxing interactive LED lights above every bed
The pediatric ED provides a full range of services, including:
- On-site radiology with low doses of radiation, adjusted appropriately for your child’s age
- On-site fluoroscopy, or X-rays on video, with radiation doses adjusted appropriately for your child’s age
- 24-hour psychiatric coverage
- The option for sedation to facilitate painful procedures is always available when clinically appropriate
- Access to all of the world-class resources at Massachusetts General Hospital, and Mass General for Children, including pediatric surgery and intensive care units
Level I Pediatric Trauma Center
Mass General for Children is verified by the American College of Surgeons as a Level I (highest level) pediatric trauma center, capable of providing state-of-the-art emergency care to the most critically injured children.
With the availability of the rooftop helipad, the Pediatric Emergency Department gives acutely ill children access to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) or Pediatric Trauma Surgical Service at Mass General for Children as well as to Shriners Hospital for Children and the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary/Mass General Hyperbaric Service.
Close Collaboration with Referring Physicians
Many of the children seen in the Pediatric Emergency Department are referred by their primary care providers. The pediatric attending is available to take referrals and to discuss patient cases, even those that may ultimately not require a Pediatric Emergency Department visit. Referring physicians are crucial members of the team caring for children in the Pediatric Emergency Department. They will get a call back to discuss findings and proposed disposition.
The pediatric emergency medicine and trauma professionals at Mass General for Children participate in several research activities, including a national multi-center asthma study and the National Electronic Injury Survival System (NEISS)—a branch of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Meet the Team
Learn more about our multidisciplinary team.
- Chief, Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine, Harvard School of Medicine
- Department of Emergency Medicine
- Department of Pediatrics
- Assistant Professor, Harvard Medical School
- Attending, Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Instructor in Emergency Medicine, Harvard Medical School
- Instructor in Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School
- Faculty, EMNet
- Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine at Harvard Medical School
- Attending Physician, Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Attending Physician, Pediatric Hospitalist Medicine
Schedule a Virtual or Telephone Visit
Care teams across Mass General for Children are available to provide care via phone or online video visits. Call 888-644-3248 to learn more.
COVID-19 Resources for Families
Articles and Q&As from providers across MGfC on how to take care of your children and yourself during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We respect that the family is the center of a child's life and we welcome families to participate in every aspect of their child's care.