Internal Medicine Residency
Stanbury Physician-Scientist Pathway Resident Profiles
The Department of Medicine's Stanbury Physician-Scientist Pathway at Massachusetts General Hospital recruits residents from around the world who have strong track records in clinical and research excellence.
Learn About Our Residents and Alumni
First Year Residents
Brandon J. Aubrey, MBBS (hons), PhD, FRACP, FRCPA
- Hometown: Sydney, Australia
- Education: Undergraduate, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA; Medical School, MBBS (hons), University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia; Intern/Resident, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, Australia; Hematology Dual Fellowships (FRACP and FRCPA), Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, Australia; PhD, University of Melbourne (WEHI), Melbourne, Australia
- Clinical and research interests: Benign and Malignant Hematology, Molecular Genetics, p53, Apoptosis, Epigenetics.
- Personal Interests: Running, swimming, reading
- Aubrey BJ; Janic, A; Chen, Y; Chang, C; Lieschke, EC; Diepstraten, ST; Kueh, AJ; Bernardini, J; Dewson, G; O’Reilly, LA; Whitehead, L; Voss, AK; Smyth, GK; Strasser, A; and Kelly, GL. (2018) Mutant TRP53 exerts a target gene selective dominant negative effect to drive tumor development. Genes Dev. 32 (21-22); 1420-1429
- Aubrey BJ, Kelly GL, Janic A, Herold MJ, Strasser A. (2018) How does p53 induce apoptosis and how does this relate to p53-mediated tumour suppression? Cell Death Differ. Jan; 25(1):104-113 Review
- Aubrey, BJ; Kelly, GL; Kueh, AJ; Brennan, M; O’Connor, L; Milla, L; Wilcox, S; Tai, L; Strasser, A; Herold, M. (2015) An inducible lentiviral guide RNA platform enables the identification of tumor-essential genes and tumor-promoting mutations in vivo. Cell Reports; 10: 8, 1422-1432
- Hometown: Cincinnati, OH
- Education: Undergraduate: Ohio State University; Graduate: MD/PhD at the University of Virginia
- Clinical and research interests: Cardiology with a focus on prevention and cardio-oncology. Understanding the cellular mechanisms regulating atherosclerotic plaque stability including the role of inflammation on smooth muscle and endothelial cells during atherosclerosis. And more recently, the interactions between cancer and atherosclerosis.
- Personal Interests: Ultralight backpacking, wellness, culinary adventures
- Gomez D, Baylis RA, Durgin BG, Newman AAC, Alencar GF, Mahan S, St Hilaire C, Müller W, Waisman A, Francis SE, Pinteaux E, Randolph GJ, Gram H, Owens GK, 2018. Interleukin-1β has atheroprotective effects in advanced atherosclerotic lesions of mice. Nature Medicine 24, 1418–1429.
- Newman AAC*, Baylis RA*, Hess DL, Griffith SD, Shankman LS, Cherepanova OA, Owens GK, 2018. Irradiation abolishes smooth muscle investment into vascular lesions in specific vascular beds. JCI Insight 3, e121017.
- Newman AAC*, Serbulea V*, Baylis RA*, Shankman LS, Bradley X, Alencar GF, Owsiany K, Deaton RA, Karnewar S, Shamsuzzaman S, Salamon A, Reddy MS, Guo L, Finn A, Virmani R, Cherepanova OA, Owens GK, 2021. Multiple cell types contribute to the atherosclerotic lesion fibrous cap by PDGFRβ and bioenergetic mechanisms. Nature Metabolism. 3, 166–181.
Linette Bosques, PhD, MD
- Hometown: Moca, Puerto Rico
- Education: PhD/MD at Yale University; undergraduate at University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez
- Clinical and research interests: molecular mechanisms of human disease, gene regulation, hematopoiesis, cancer biology
- Personal Interests: sports, travel, concerts, movies, Latino music, board and video games
- Chen X, Bosques L, Sung P, Kupfer GM. A novel role for non-ubiquitinated FANCD2 in response to hydroxyurea-induced DNA damage. Oncogene. 2016 Jan 7;35(1):22-34.
- Kupfer GM, Bosques L, and Glader B. Congenital Dyserythropoietic Anemias. Wintrobe’s Clinical Hematology. 2019.
- Noy-Lotan S, Dgany O, Marcoux N, Atkins A, Kupfer GM, Bosques L, Gottschalk C, Bajoghil B, Steinberg-Shemer O, Motro B, Tamary H. CDAN1 is essential for primitive erythropoiesis. Front. Physiol. 2021 May.
Robert Dilley, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Atlanta, GA and Philadelphia, PA
- Education: MD, PhD, University of Pennsylvania; BS, Johns Hopkins University
- Clinical and research interests: hematology/oncology, genome maintenance, protein homeostasis
- Personal interests: biking, baseball, crime novels/shows, breweries,exploring new places
- Cho NW, Dilley RL, Lampson MA, Greenberg RA. Interchromosomal homology searches drive directional ALT telomere movement and synapsis. Cell. 2014 Sep 25;159(1):108-121.
- Dilley RL, Verma P, Cho NW, Winters HD, Wondisford AR, Greenberg RA. Break-induced telomere synthesis underlies alternative telomere maintenance. Nature. 2016 Nov 3;539(7627):54-58.
- Verma P, Dilley RL*, Zhang T*, Gyparaki MT, Li Y, Greenberg RA. RAD52 and SLX4 act nonepistatically to ensure telomere stability during alternative telomere lengthening. Genes Dev. 2019 Feb 1;33(3-4):221-235.
- Hometown: North Brunswick, NJ
- Education: MD/PhD, Harvard Medical School; undergraduate at Harvard College
- Clinical and research interests: oncology, cancer metastasis, cancer therapeutics
- Personal Interests: rock climbing, distance running, skiing, mixology
- Ebright RY, Lee S, Wittner BS, Niederhoffer KL, Nicholson BT, Bardia A, Truesdell S, Wiley DF, Wesley B, Li S, Mai A, Aceto N, Vincent-Jordan N, Szabolcs A, Chirn B, Kreuzer J, Comaills V, Kalinich M, Haas W, Ting DT, Toner M, Vasudevan S, Haber DA, Maheswaran S, Micalizzi DS. Deregulation of ribosomal protein expression and translation promotes breast cancer metastasis. 2020 Mar 27; 367 (6485): 1468-1473.
- Ebright RY*, Zachariah MA*, Micalizzi DS, Wittner BS, Niederhoffer KL, Nieman LT, Chirn B, Wiley DF, Wesley B, Shaw B, Nieblas-Bedolla E, Atlas L, Szabolcs A, Iafrate AJ, Toner M, Ting DT, Brastianos PK, Haber DA, Maheswaran S. HIF1A signaling selectively supports proliferation of breast cancer in the brain. Nature Communications. 2020 Dec 9; 11 (1): 6311. *indicates co-first author
- Micalizzi DS*, Ebright RY*, Haber DA, Maheswaran S. Translational Regulation of Cancer Metastasis. Cancer Research. 2021 Feb 1; 81 (3): 517-524. *indicates co-first author
Erik Hasenoehrl, PhD
- Hometown: Boise, ID
- Education: Undergraduate: University of Utah; Medical School: Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Clinical and research interests: Gastroenterology and the Microbiome
- Personal Interests: Rock Climbing, Skiing, Fly Fishing
- Hasenoehrl EJ, Wiggins TJ, Berney M. Bioenergetic Inhibitors: Antibiotic Efficacy and Mechanisms of Action in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2021 Jan 11;10:611683. doi: 10.3389/fcimb.2020.611683. PMID: 33505923; PMCID: PMC7831573.
- Hasenoehrl EJ, Rae Sajorda D, Berney-Meyer L, Johnson S, Tufariello JM, Fuhrer T, Cook GM, Jacobs WR Jr, Berney M. Derailing the aspartate pathway of Mycobacterium tuberculosis to eradicate persistent infection. Nat Commun. 2019 Sep 16;10(1):4215. doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-12224-3. PMID: 31527595; PMCID: PMC6746716.
- Kalia NP*, Hasenoehrl EJ*, Ab Rahman NB, Koh VH, Ang MLT, Sajorda DR, Hards K, Grüber G, Alonso S, Cook GM, Berney M, Pethe K. Exploiting the synthetic lethality between terminal respiratory oxidases to kill Mycobacterium tuberculosis and clear host infection. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017 Jul 11;114(28):7426-7431. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1706139114. Epub 2017 Jun 26. PMID: 28652330; PMCID: PMC5514758. *These authors contributed equally to this work.
- Hometown: Minneapolis, MN
- Education: Tulane University (undergraduate); University of Virginia (PhD); Columbia University (MD)
- Clinical and research interests: vascular biology, dynamics of vascular smooth muscle cells, pericytes, and endothelial cells in inflammation, gastrointestinal ischemia and inflammation, celiac disease
- Personal Interests: cooking, especially trying new techniques or recipes; traveling; starting new work-out routines
- Kelly-Goss M and Hess D (co-first author), Cherepanova O, Annex B, Peirce S, Owens G. Perivascular cell-derived Oct4 mediates angiogenesis via Slit-Robo guidance cues. Nature Communications, 2019.
- Kelly-Goss M, Ning B, Bruce A, Tavakol D, Yates P, Hu S, Peirce S. Dynamic, heterogeneous
- endothelial Tie2 expression and capillary blood flow during microvascular remodeling. Scientific Reports, 2017.
- Kelly-Goss M and Cronk S (co-first author), Mendel T, Hoehn K, Ray H, Bruce A, Dey B, Guendel A, Tavakol D, Herman I, Peirce S, Yates P. Adipose-derived stem cells from diabetic mice show impaired vascular stabilization in a murine model of diabetic retinopathy. Stem Cells Translational Medicine, 2015.
- Hometown: Mountain View, CA
- Education: MD, PhD, University of Washington; undergraduate at Rice University
- Clinical and research interests: viral evolution, profiling anti-viral adaptive immunity, immune correlates of disease severity, mucosal immunity
- Personal interests: photography, knitting, hiking, chamber music, sampling loose-leaf teas
- Lee JM, Eguia R, Zost SJ, Choudhary S, Wilson PC, Bedford T, Stevens-Ayers T, Boeckh M, Hurt AC, Lakdawala SS, Hensley SE, Bloom JD. (2019) Mapping person-to-person variation in viral mutations that escape polyclonal serum targeting influenza hemagglutinin. eLife 8:e49324. PMID: 31452511
- Lee JM*, Huddleston J*, Doud MB, Hooper KA, Wu NC, Bedford T, Bloom JD. (2018) Deep mutational scanning of hemagglutinin helps predict evolutionary fates of human H3N2 influenza variants. PNAS 115:E8276. PMID: 30104379 *indicates co-first author
- Doud MB*, Lee JM*, Bloom JD. (2018) How single mutations affect viral escape from broad and narrow antibodies to H1 influenza hemagglutinin. Nature Communications 9:1386. PMID: 29643370
- Hometown: Weston, CT
- Education: Yale College 2011 (BA, History); Cambridge University 2012 (MPhil, History and Philosophy of Science); Yale School of Medicine 2021 (MD, PhD, Immunobiology)
- Clinical and research interests: Pulmonary and Critical Care; Immunopathogenesis of sepsis and ARDS; Macrophage mechanosensing of the extracellular matrix
- Personal Interests: Writing, community health/health equity/health policy, skiing, biking, soccer
- Meizlish ML*, Zhou X*, Franklin RA*, Medzhitov R. Tissue homeostasis and inflammation. Annual Review of Immunology. 2021; 39. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-immunol-061020-053734
- Meizlish ML*, Pine AB*, Bishai JD*, et al. A neutrophil activation signature predicts critical illness and mortality in COVID-19. Blood Advances 2021; 5(5): 1164-1177. https://doi.org/10.1182/bloodadvances.2020003568
- Meizlish ML*, Goshua G*, Liu Y*, Fine R*, et al. Intermediate‐dose anticoagulation, aspirin, and in‐hospital mortality in COVID‐19: A propensity score‐matched analysis. American Journal of Hematology. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajh.26102
- Goshua G*, Pine AB*, Meizlish ML*, et al. Endotheliopathy in COVID-19-associated coagulopathy: evidence from a single-centre, cross-sectional study. Lancet Haematology 2020; 7(8): e575-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2352-3026(20)30216-7
Pradeep Rajendran, PhD
- Hometown: Naperville, Illinois
- Education: (Undergraduate and Graduate): MD, PhD, University of California - Los Angeles; BS, Stanford University
- Clinical and research interests: cardiology, heart-brain axis, neuromodulation
- Personal Interests: cooking, traveling, trying new restaurants, gardening
Select Publications (usually first author papers, generally 2-3)
- Rajendran PS, Challis RC, Fowlkes CC, Hanna P, Tompkins JD, Jordan MC, Hiyari S, Gabris-Weber BA, Greenbaum A, Chan KY, Deverman BE, Münzberg H, Ardell JL, Salama G, Gradinaru V, Shivkumar K. Identification of peripheral neural circuits that regulate heart rate using optogenetic and viral vector strategies. Nature Communications. 2019 Apr 26;10(1):1944.
- Rajendran PS, Nakamura K, Ajijola OA, Vaseghi M, Armour JA, Ardell JL, Shivkumar K. Myocardial infarction induces structural and functional remodelling of the intrinsic cardiac nervous system. J Physiol. 2016 Jan 15;594(2):321-41.
- Yoshie K, Rajendran PS, Massoud L, Mistry J, Swid MA, Wu X, Sallam T, Zhang R, Goldhaber JI, Salavatian S, Ajijola OA. Cardiac TRPV1 afferent signaling promotes arrhythmogenic ventricular remodeling after myocardial infarction. JCI Insight. 2020 Feb 13;5(3):e124477. doi: 10.1172/jci.insight.124477. PMID: 31846438; PMCID: PMC7098788.
- Hometown: Westfield, NJ
- Education: MD and PhD, Harvard Medical School; undergraduate at Tufts University
- Clinical and research interests: nephrology & metabolism
- Personal Interests: running, hiking, baking, knitting
- Sidhom EH, Kim C, Kost-Alimova M, Ting MT, Keller K, Avila-Pacheco J, Watts AJ, Vernon KA, Marshall JL, Reyes-Bricio E, Racette M, Wieder N, Kleiner G, Grinkevich EJ, Chen F, Weins A, Clish CB, Shaw JL, Quinzii CM, Greka A. Targeting a Braf/Mapk pathway rescues podocyte lipid peroxidation in CoQ-deficiency kidney disease. J Clin Invest. 2021 Mar 1;131(5):e141380.
- Kost-Alimova M*, Sidhom EH*, Satyam A, Chamberlain BT, Dvela-Levitt M, Melanson M, Alper SL, Santos J, Gutierrez J, Subramanian A, Byrne PJ, Grinkevich E, Reyes-Bricio E, Kim C, Clark AR, Watts AJB, Thompson R, Marshall J, Pablo JL, Coraor J, Roignot J, Vernon KA, Keller K, Campbell A, Emani M, Racette M, Bazua-Valenti S, Padovano V, Weins A, McAdoo SP, Tam FWK, Ronco L, Wagner F, Tsokos GC, Shaw JL, Greka A. A High-Content Screen for Mucin-1-Reducing Compounds Identifies Fostamatinib as a Candidate for Rapid Repurposing for Acute Lung Injury. Cell Rep Med. 2020 Oct 29;1(8):100137.
- Subramanian A*, Sidhom EH*, Emani M*, Vernon K, Sahakian N, Zhou Y, Kost-Alimova M, Slyper M, Waldman J, Dionne D, Nguyen LT, Weins A, Marshall JL, Rosenblatt-Rosen O, Regev A, Greka A. Single cell census of human kidney organoids shows reproducibility and diminished off-target cells after transplantation. Nat Commun. 2019 Nov 29;10(1):5462.
Shivani Thaker, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Cerritos, California
- Education: (Undergraduate and Graduate) MD and PhD at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and undergraduate at UCLA
- Clinical and research interests: cancer biology, metabolism, virology, hematology/oncology
- Personal Interests: photography, cooking, trying new restaurants, traveling to new places, basketball
Select Publications (usually first author papers, generally 2-3)
- Thaker SK, Chapa T, Garcia G Jr, Gong D, Schmid EW, Arumugaswami V, Sun R, Christofk HR. Differential Metabolic Reprogramming by Zika Virus Promotes Cell Death in Human versus Mosquito Cells. Cell Metabolism. 2019 May 7;29(5):1206-1216.e4. doi: 10.1016/j.cmet.2019.01.024. Epub 2019 Feb 28.
- Thai M*, Thaker SK*, Feng J, Du Y, Hu H, Wu TT, Graeber TG, Braas D, Christofk HR. MYC-induced reprogramming of glutamine catabolism supports optimal virus replication. Nature Communications. 2015;6. doi:10.1038/ncomms9873. *equal contribution
- Thaker SK*, Ch’ng J*, Christofk HR. Viral hijacking of cellular metabolism. BMC Biol. 2019 Jul 18;17(1):59. doi: 10.1186/s12915-019-0678-9. Review. *equal contribution
Nick Vogt, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Appleton, WI
- Education: undergrad at Swarthmore College, MD/PhD at University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- Clinical and research interests: geriatrics, memory disorders, Alzheimer’s disease, using diffusion MRI to better understand the aging brain, including the earliest neurodegenerative changes in Alzheimer’s disease
- Personal interests: Homebrewing beer, woodworking and furniture building, small stream trout fishing, playing guitar, trail running
- Vogt NM, Hunt JFV, Adluru N, Ma Y, Van Hulle CA, Iii DCD, Kecskemeti SR, Chin NA, Carlsson CM, Asthana S, Johnson SC, Kollmorgen G, Batrla R, Wild N, Buck K, Zetterberg H, Alexander AL, Blennow K, Bendlin BB. Interaction of amyloid and tau on cortical microstructure in cognitively unimpaired adults. Alzheimers and Dementia. 2021 May 13. doi: 10.1002/alz.12364.
- Vogt NM, Hunt JF, Adluru N, Dean DC, Johnson SC, Asthana S, Yu JJ, Alexander AL, Bendlin BB. Cortical microstructural alterations in mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease dementia. Cerebral Cortex. 2020 May 14;30(5):2948-2960. doi: 10.1093/cercor/bhz286.
Second Year Residents
Jamie Brett, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Santa Rosa, CA
- Education: MD and PhD, Stanford; undergraduate at Stanford
- Clinical and research interests: hematology/oncology, aging/anti-aging, metabolism and epigenetics
- Personal interests: sci-fi/fantasy, origami, sketching
- Brett JO*, Arjona M*, Ikeda M*, Quarta M, de Morree A, Egner IM, Perandini LA, Ishak HD, Goshayeshi A, Benjamin DI, Both P, Rodriguez-Mateo C, Betley MJ, Wyss-Coray T, Rando TA. Exercise rejuvenates quiescent skeletal muscle stem cells in old mice through restoration of Cyclin D1. Nature Metabolism 2020; 2: 307-317.
- Rodgers JT, King KY, Brett JO, Cromie MJ, Charville GW, Maguire KK, Brunson C, Mastey N, Liu L, Tsai CR, Goodell MA, Rando TA. mTORC1 controls the adaptive transition of quiescent stem cells from G0 to GAlert. Nature 2014; 510(7505): 393-396.
- Brett JO, Renault VM, Rafalski VA, Webb AE, Brunet A. The microRNA cluster miR-106b~25 regulates adult neural stem/progenitor cell proliferation and neuronal differentiation. Aging 2011; 3(2): 108-124.
Kelly Buchanan, MD
- Hometown: Chicago, IL
- Education: MD, Duke University School of Medicine; undergraduate at Case Western Reserve University
- Clinical and research interests: gut-brain neurobiology and appetite, gastrointestinal physiology, metabolic syndrome
- Personal interests: baking and cooking, Cubs baseball and Duke basketball, swimming, quilting, playing board games, trying new restaurants with friends
- Buchanan, K.L., Rupprecht, L.E., Sahasrabudhe, A., Kaelberer, M.M, Klein, M.E., Villalobos, J., Liu, W.W., Yang, A., Gelman, J., Park, S., Anikeeva, A., and Bohórquez, D.V. A gut sensor for sugar preference (pre-print). bioRxiv. 8 March 2020. Peer reviewed manuscript under review.
- Kaelberer, M.M., Buchanan, K.L., Klein, M.E., Barth, B.B., Montoya Gomez, M., Shen, X., Bohórquez, D.V. A gut-brain neural circuit for nutrient sensory transduction. Science. 21 Sept 2018.
- Buchanan, K.L. and Bohórquez, D.V. You are what you (first) eat. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. 13 Aug 2018.
Sway Chen, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Lexington, MA
- Education: MD/PhD, Columbia University; undergraduate at Harvard University
- Clinical and research interests: GI, gut microbiome, host-microbe interactions, synthetic biology
- Personal interests: baking, rock climbing, hiking, jewelry making
- Chen SP, Wang HH. An Engineered Cas-Transposon System for Programmable and Site-Directed DNA Transpositions. CRISPR J. 2019;2(6):376-394. doi:10.1089/crispr.2019.0030
- Ronda C, Chen SP, Cabral V, Yaung SJ, Wang HH. Metagenomic engineering of the mammalian gut microbiome in situ. Nat Methods. 2019;16(2):167-170. doi:10.1038/s41592-018-0301-y
Connor Emdin, MD, DPhil
- Hometown: Belleville, Ontario, Canada
- Education: MD, Harvard Medical School, and DPhil, University of Oxford; undergraduate at University of Toronto
- Clinical and research interests: cardiology, endocrinology
- Personal interests: trying new restaurants in Boston, running
- Emdin CA*, Khera AV*, Natarajan P, Klarin D, Zekavat S, Hsiao AJ, Kathiresan S. (2017) Genetic association of waist-to-hip ratio with cardiometabolic traits, type 2 diabetes and coronary heart disease. JAMA.
- Khera AV*, Emdin CA*, Natarajan P, Bick AG, Cook N, Chasman DI, Baber U, Fuster V, Ridker PM, Kathiresan S. (2016) Genetic risk, adherence to a healthy lifestyle and risk of coronary artery disease. NEJM
- Emdin C, Haas M, Khera AV, Aragam K, Jian L, et al., Kathirsan S. (2019) A missense variant in Mitochondrial Amidoxime Reducing Component 1 gene and protection against liver disease. PLOS Genetics.
Jeremy Grivet, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Belleville, Ontario, Canada
- Education: MD, Harvard Medical School and DPhil University of Oxford; undergraduate at University of Toronto
- Clinical and research interests: cardiology, endocrinology
- Personal interests: trying new restaurants in Boston, running
- Grevet, J.D.*, Lan, X.*, Hamagami, N., Edwards, C., Sankaranarayanan, L., Ji, X., Bhardwaj, S., Face, C., Posocco, D., Abdulmalik, O., Keller, C., Giardine, B., Sidoli, S., Garcia, B., Chou, S., Liebhaber, S., Hardison, R., Shi, J. & Blobel, G. (2018). Domain-focused CRISPR screen identifies HRI as a fetal hemoglobin regulator in human erythroid cells. Science 361(6399), 285–290 (2018).
- Lan X., Khandros E., Huang P., Peslak S.A., Bhardwaj S.K., Grevet J.D., Abdulmalik O., Wang H., Keller C.A., Giardine B., Baeza J., Duffner E.R., Garcia B.A., Hardison R.C., Shi J., Blobel G.A. The E3 ligase adaptor molecule SPOP regulates fetal hemoglobin levels in adult erythroid cells. Blood Advances (2019).
- Huang, P., Keller, C., Giardine, B., Grevet, J.D., Davies, J., Hughes, J., Kurita, R., Nakamura, Y., Hardison, R. & Blobel, G.A. Comparative analysis of three-dimensional chromosomal architecture identifies a novel fetal hemoglobin regulatory element. Genes & Development 31(16), 1704–1713 (2017).
Joyce Han, MD
- Hometown: Beijing, China; Farmington, CT; Bryn Mawr, PA; Pomona, CA
- Education: MD, Dartmouth Medical School; BA in music and mathematics, Swarthmore College
- Clinical and research interests: cardiac MRI, RV failure, cardiac microstructure, mechanics and fluid dynamics
- Personal interests: participating/organizing music ensembles, woodworking, baking, cooking, baking, cross-country skiing
- Han QJ, Witschey WRT, Fang-Yen CM, Arkles JS, Barker AJ, Forfia PR, Han Y. Altered Right Ventricular Kinetic Energy Work Density and Viscous Energy Dissipation in Patients with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension: A Pilot Study Using 4D Flow MRI. PLoS ONE. 2015; 10(9).
- Berisha S*, Han QJ*, Contijoch F, Chirtinos J, Arkles S, Ferrari V, Madden M, Kellman P, Pilla JJ, Han Y, Witschey WRT. Pulse Sequences for Assessment of Myocardial Disease with T1rho Relaxation Mapping. PLoS One. 2016; 11(3).
- Altmayer SPL, Han QJ, Addetia K, Patel AR, Forfia PR, Han Y. Using All-cause Mortality to Define Severe RV Dilation to RV/LV Volume Ratio. Scientific Reports 8(1), 7200. 2018.
Nelson Hsieh, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Orlando, FL
- Education: MD, PhD, Case Western Reserve University; undergraduate at University of Pittsburgh
- Clinical and research interests: aging and longevity, cardiovascular disease, metabolism, microbiome, autophagy
- Personal interests: tennis, concerts/musicals, baking, zany cocktails, horror movies
- Seth P*, Hsieh PN*, Jamal S, Wang L, Gygi SP, Jain MK, Coller J, Stamler JS. Regulation of MicroRNA Machinery and Development by Interspecies S-Nitrosylation. Cell. 2019 Feb 21;176(5):1014-1025.e12. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2019.01.037.
- Hsieh PN*, Zhou G*, Yuan Y*, Zhang R, Prosdocimo DA, Sangwung P, Borton AH, Boriushkin E, Hamik A, Fujioka H, Fealy CE, Kirwan JP, Peters M, Lu Y, Liao X, Ramírez-Bergeron D, Feng Z, Jain MK. A conserved KLF-autophagy pathway modulates nematode lifespan and mammalian age-associated vascular dysfunction. Nat Commun. 2017 Oct 13;8(1):914. doi: 10.1038/s41467-017-00899-5.
- Sugi K*, Hsieh PN*, Ilkayeva O, Shelkay S, Moroney B, Baadh P, Haynes B, Pophal M, Fan L, Newgard CB, Prosdocimo DA, Jain MK. Kr factor 15 is required for the cardiac adaptive response to fasting. PLoS One. 2018 Feb 6;13(2):e0192376. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0192376.
Ian Roundtree, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Dunstable, MA
- Education: MD, PhD, University of Chicago; BS, Boston College
- Clinical and research interests: novel mechanisms of gene expression regulation, epigenetics, RNA biology, non-coding RNA
- Personal interests: cooking, traveling, NBA basketball, biotechnology
- Roundtree IA, Evans ME, Pan T, He C. Dynamic RNA Modifications in Gene Expression Regulation. Cell. 2017;169(7):1187-1200. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2017.05.045
- Roundtree IA, Luo GZ, Zhang Z, et al. YTHDC1 mediates nuclear export of N6-methyladenosine methylated mRNAs. Elife. 2017;6:e31311. Published 2017 Oct 6. doi:10.7554/eLife.31311
Jaspreet Sandhu, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Simi Valley, CA
- Education: MD and PhD, UCLA; undergraduate at UCLA
- Clinical and research interests: biochemistry, cellular metabolism and transcription in physiology; GI, hepatology
- Personal interests: travel, restaurants, martial arts, history and comedy
- Sandhu J, Li S, Fairall L, Pfisterer SG, Gurnett JE, Xiao X, Weston TA, Vashi D, Ferrari A, Orozco JL, Hartman CL, Strugatsky D, Lee SD, He C, Hong C, Jiang H, Bentolila LA, Gatta AT, Levine TP, Ferng A, Lee R, Ford DA, Young SG, Ikonen E, Schwabe JWR, Tontonoz P. Aster Proteins Facilitate Nonvesicular Plasma Membrane to ER Cholesterol Transport in Mammalian Cells. Cell. 2018 Oct 4;175(2):514-529.e20.
- Sallam T, Sandhu J, Tontonoz P. Long Noncoding RNA Discovery in Cardiovascular Disease: Decoding Form to Function. Circ Res. 2018;122(1):155-166.
- Zhang L, Rajbhandari P, Priest C, Sandhu J, Wu X, Temel R, Castrillo A, de Aguiar Vallim TQ, Sallam T, Tontonoz P. Inhibition of cholesterol biosynthesis through RNF145-dependent ubiquitination of SCAP. Elife. 2017 Oct 25;6:e28766.
Rachel Wolfson, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Okemos, Michigan
- Education: MD, Harvard Medical School; PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology; BS, Stanford University
- Clinical and research interests: the sensory innervation of the gastrointestinal tract
- Personal interests: running, cooking, exercise, travel
- Wolfson, R. L.*, L. Chantranupong*, G. A. Wyant, X. Gu, J. M. Orozco, K. Shen, K. J. Condon, S. Petri, J. Kedir, S. M. Scaria, M. Abu-Remaileh, W. N. Frankel and D. M. Sabatini (2017). "KICSTOR recruits GATOR1 to the lysosome and is necessary for nutrients to regulate mTORC1." Nature 543(7645): 438-442. *indicates co-first author
- Wolfson, R. L.*, L. Chantranupong*, R. A. Saxton, K. Shen, S. M. Scaria, J. R. Cantor and D. M. Sabatini (2016). "Sestrin2 is a leucine sensor for the mTORC1 pathway." Science 351(6268): 43-48. *indicates co-first author
- Okosun, J.*, R. L. Wolfson*, J. Wang, S. Araf, L. Wilkins, B. M. Castellano, L. Escudero-Ibarz, A. F. Al Seraihi, J. Richter, S. H. Bernhart, A. Efeyan, S. Iqbal, J. Matthews, A. Clear, J. A. Guerra-Assuncao, C. Bodor, H. Quentmeier, C. Mansbridge, P. Johnson, A. Davies, J. C. Strefford, G. Packham, S. Barrans, A. Jack, M. Q. Du, M. Calaminici, T. A. Lister, R. Auer, S. Montoto, J. G. Gribben, R. Siebert, C. Chelala, R. Zoncu, D. M. Sabatini and J. Fitzgibbon (2016). "Recurrent mTORC1-activating RRAGC mutations in follicular lymphoma." Nat Genet 48(2): 183-188. *indicates co-first author
- Chantranupong, L.*, R. L. Wolfson*, J. M. Orozco, R. A. Saxton, S. M. Scaria, L. Bar-Peled, E. Spooner, M. Isasa, S. P. Gygi and D. M. Sabatini (2014). "The Sestrins interact with GATOR2 to negatively regulate the amino-acid-sensing pathway upstream of mTORC1." Cell Rep 9(1): 1-8. *indicates co-first author
Laura Yockey, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Bethesda, MD
- Education: MD/PhD, Yale; undergraduate at Washington University in St. Louis
- Clinical and research interests: rheumatology or infectious diseases; immunology, virology, women’s/reproductive health
- Personal interests: cooking, hiking, running
- Yockey, L. J., K. A. Jurado, N. Arora, A. Millet, T. Rakib, K. M. Milano, A. K. Hastings, E. Fikrig, Y. Kong, T. L. Horvath, S. Weatherbee, H. J. Kliman, C. B. Coyne, and A. Iwasaki. 2018. 'Type I interferons instigate fetal demise after Zika virus infection', Sci Immunol, 3.
- Yockey, L. J., C. Lucas, and A. Iwasaki. 2020. 'Contributions of maternal and fetal antiviral immunity in congenital disease', Science, 368: 608-12.
- Yockey, L. J., L. Varela, T. Rakib, W. Khoury-Hanold, S. L. Fink, B. Stutz, K. Szigeti-Buck, A. Van den Pol, B. D. Lindenbach, T. L. Horvath, and A. Iwasaki. 2016. 'Vaginal Exposure to Zika Virus during Pregnancy Leads to Fetal Brain Infection', Cell, 166: 1247-56 e4.
Third Year Residents
Annabelle Anandappa, MD
- Hometown: Perth, Australia
- Education: MD, Harvard Medical School; BS, Columbia University
- Fellowship interests: hematology/oncology
- Clinical and research interests: tumor immunology and immunotherapy, hematologic malignancies, bone marrow transplantation, T cell biology
- Personal interests: cooking, traveling, trying new restaurants, going to museums and concerts
Anandappa AJ, Wu CJ, Ott PA. 2020 “Directing Traffic: How to Effectively Drive T Cells into Tumors” Cancer Discovery, 10(2):185-197
- Keskin DB*, Anandappa AJ*, Sun J*, Tirosh I*, Mathewson ND*, Li S, Oliveira GO, Giobbie-Hurder A, Felt K, Gjini E, Shukla SA, Hu Z, Li L, Le PM, Richman AR, Kowalczyk M, Abdelrahman S, Gedulig JE, Charbonneau S, Pelton K, Zhang W, Olive O, McCluskey C, Stevens J, Lane WJ, Salazar AM, Daley H, Wen PY, Chiocca EA, Harden M, Lennon N, Gabriel S, Getz G, Lander ES, Regev A, Ritz J, Neuberg D, Rodig SJ, Ligon KL, Suva ML, Wucherpfennig K, Hacohen N, Fritsch EF, Livak KJ, Ott PA, Wu CJ, Reardon DA. 2019 “Neoantigen vaccine generates intratumoral T cell responses in phase Ib glioblastoma trial” Nature 565, 234-239 *co-first authors
- Hu Z*, Anandappa AJ*, Sun J*, Kim J, Leet DE, Bozym DJ, Chen C, Williams L, Shukla SA, Zhang W, Tabbaa D, Steelman S, Olive O, Livak KJ, Kishi H, Muraguchi A, Guleria I, Stevens J, Lane WJ, Burkhardt UE, Fritsch EF, Neuberg D, Ott PA, Keskin DB, Hacohen N, Wu CJ. 2018 “A cloning and expression system to probe T cell receptor specificity and assess functional avidity to neoantigens” Blood, 132, 1911-1921 *co-first authors
Narsis Attar, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Los Angeles, CA
- Education (MD, PhD, BS/BA): MD and PhD, University of California-Los Angeles; undergraduate at University of California-Berkeley
- Clinical and research interests: oncology, cancer genomics, epigenetics and chromatin biology, cancer metabolism, tumor evolution
- Personal interests: scenic hikes, pilates/yoga, fine art, cooking, exploring new restaurants, spending time with loved ones, including my dogs
- Attar N*, Campos OA*, Vogelauer M*, Xue Y, Cheng C, Schmollinger S, Yen L, Mallipeddi N, Yang S, Zikovich S, Dardine J, Carey MF., Merchant SS., and Kurdistani SK. The Histone H3-H4 Tetramer is a Copper Reductase Enzyme. *equal contribution. In revision. Nature. 2018
- Attar N, Kurdistani SK. Exploitation of EP300 and CREBBP Lysine Acetyltransferases by Cancer. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. March 2017
- Xue Y, Schmollinger S, Attar N, Campos O, Vogelauer M, Carey MF, Merchant SS, Kurdistani SK. Endoplasmic reticulum-mitochondria junction is required for iron homeostasis. Journal of Biological Chemistry, June 2017
- Attar N*, Campos OA*, Vogelauer M*, Cheng C, Xue Y, Schmollinger S, Salwinski L, Mallipeddi NV, Boone BA, Yen L, Yang S, Zikovich S, Dardine J, Carey MF, Merchant SS, Kurdistani SK. The histone H3-H4 tetramer is a copper reductase enzyme. *equal contribution. Science 2020, 369 (6499) 59-64
Matt Emmett, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Education (MD, PhD, BS/BA): MD and PhD, University of Pennsylvania; BA and MS, Johns Hopkins University
- Clinical and research interests: epigenomic and transcriptional regulation of physiology, cellular metabolism, functional genomics
- Personal interests: travel, restaurants, cooking, swimming, biking and watching sports
- Emmett MJ, Lazar MA. (2019). Integrative regulation of physiology by histone deacetylase 3. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, 20(2), 102–115.
- Emmett MJ*, Lim H*, Jager J, Richter HJ, Adlanmerini M, Peed LC, Briggs ER, Steger DJ, Ma T, Sims CA, Baur JA, Pei L, Won KJ, Seale P, Gerhart-Hines Z, Lazar MA. (2017). Histone deacetylase 3 prepares brown adipose tissue for acute thermogenic challenge. Nature, 546(7659), 544–548.
- Zhang Y*, Fang B*, Emmett MJ, Damle M, Sun Z, Feng D, Armour SM, Remsberg JR, Jager J, Soccio RE, Steger DJ, Lazar, M. A. (2015). Discrete functions of nuclear receptor Rev-erbα couple metabolism to the clock. Science, 348(6242), 1488–1492.
- Gerhart-Hines Z, Feng D*, Emmett MJ*, Everett LJ, Loro E, Briggs ER, Bugge A, Hou C, Ferrara C, Seale P, Pryma DA, Khurana TS, Lazar MA. (2013). The nuclear receptor Rev-erbα controls circadian thermogenic plasticity. Nature, 503(7476), 410–413.
Stefanie Gerstberger, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- Education (MD, PhD, BS/BA): M.Chem. University of Oxford, PhD Rockefeller University, MD Columbia University
- Clinical and research interests: precision medicine, post-transcriptional gene regulation, non-coding RNAs
- Personal interests: playing the violin, giving chamber music performances, opera, yoga, exploring world cuisines, traveling, reading
- Gerstberger, S., Meyer, C., Benjamin, S., Rodriguez, J., Briskin, D., Bognanni, C., Bogardus, K., Steller, H. & Tuschl, T. The Conserved RNA Exonuclease Rexo5 Is Required for 3’ End Maturation of 28S rRNA, 5S rRNA, and snoRNAs. Cell Reports 21, 758–772 (2017).
- Gerstberger, S., Hafner, M. & Tuschl, T. A census of human RNA-binding proteins. Nat. Rev. Genet. 15, 829–845 (2014).
- Mobin, M.B., Gerstberger, S., Teupser, D., Heim, M., Manoharan, M., Tuschl, T., & Stoffel, M. The RNA-binding protein Vigilin is increased in hepatic steatosis and regulates VLDL secretion through modulation of ApoB mRNA translation. Nat. Commun. 7, 12848. (2016).
Rebecca Liu, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Taoyuan, Taiwan
- Education: MD, PhD, Yale; undergraduate at Duke
- Clinical and research interests: inflammation, mucosal immunity, gut-brain axis
- Personal interests: hiking, photography, viola, food
- Liu, R., Merola, J., Manes, T. D., Qin, L. F., Tietjen, G. T., Lopez-Giraldez, F., Broecker, V., Fang, C. D., Xie, C., Chen, P. M., Kirkiles-Smith, N. C., Jane-Wit, D., and Pober, J. S. Interferon-gamma Converts Human Microvascular Pericytes into Negative Regulators of Alloimmunity through Induction of Indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase 1. JCI Insight. 2018, Mar; 3(5): e97881.
- Liu, R., Lauridsen, H. M., Amezquita, R. A., Pierce, R. W., Jane-Wit, D., Fang, C., Pellowe, A. S., Kirkiles-Smith, N. C., Gonzalez, A. L., and Pober, J. S. IL-17 Promotes Neutrophil-Mediated Immunity by Activating Microvascular Pericytes and Not Endothelium. Journal of Immunology. 2016, Sep; 197(6): 2400-8.
Daniel Sinden, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Charlottesville, VA
- Education: MD/PhD, from Duke University, BS/BA; undergraduate at The College of William and Mary
- Clinical and research interests: (clinical) cardiology; (research) fundamental cardiovascular biology including beneficial effects of exercise on cardiac physiology and metabolism and causes of sudden cardiac death and cardiac arrhythmia, particularly in athletes
- Personal interests: avid runner, including participation in running clubs and marathon training; trying out new craft beers, particularly sours; combining the above two interests with running clubs that meet at new bars regularly is especially efficient
- Sinden DS, Holman CD, Bare CJ, Sun X, Gade AR, Cohen DE, Pitt GS. Knockout of the X-linked Fgf13 in the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus impairs sympathetic output to brown fat and causes obesity. FASEB journal : official publication of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology. 2019;33(10):11579–11594.
- Wei EQ, Sinden DS, Mao L, Zhang H, Wang C, Pitt GS. Inducible Fgf13 ablation enhances caveolae-mediated cardioprotection during cardiac pressure overload. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2017;114(20):E4010–E4019.
- Yang J, Wang Z, Sinden DS, Wang X, Shan B, Yu X, Zhang H, Pitt GS, Wang C. FGF13 modulates the gating properties of the cardiac sodium channel Na v 1.5 in an isoform-specific manner. Channels. 2016;10(5):410–420.
Zandra Walton, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Skaneateles, NY
- Education: MD and PhD, University of Pennsylvania; BA, Amherst College
- Clinical and research interests: cancer biology, metabolism, regulation of translation, RNA biology
- Personal interests: running, hiking, sailing, skiing, traveling
- Walton ZE, Patel CH, Brooks RC, Yu Y, Ibrahim-Hashim A, Riddle M, Porcu A, Jiang T, Ecker BL, Tameire F, Koumenis C, Weeraratna AT, Welsh DK, Gillies R, Alwine JC, Zhang L, Powell JD, Dang CV. Acid suspends the circadian clock in hypoxia through inhibition of mTOR. Cell 174(1), 72-87 (2018).
- Walton ZE, Altman BJ, Brooks RC, Dang CV. Circadian Clock’s Cancer Connections. Annual Review of Cancer Biology 2(1):133-153 (2018).
- Walton ZE, Hsieh AL, Dang CV. Metabolism of Hematologic Neoplastic Cells. Williams Hematology, Ninth Edition. Kenneth Kaushansky, et al. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill (2016).
Elliot Woods, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Atlanta, GA
- Education: MD, Emory University; PhD, UC Berkeley; BSE, UPenn
- Clinical and research interests: structural carbohydrates in human disease and as drug targets
- Personal interests: surfing, fishing, swimming, brewing beer, traveling, food
- Woods EC, Kai F, Barnes JM, Pedram K, Pickup MW, Hollander MJ, Weaver VM, & Bertozzi CR. A bulky glycocalyx fosters metastasis formation by promoting G1 cell cycle progression. eLife. 2017
- Xiao H*, Woods EC*, Vukojicic P, & Bertozzi CR. Precision glycocalyx editing as a strategy for cancer immunotherapy. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2016
- Barnes J, Kaushik S, Bainer R, Sa J, Woods EC, Kai F, Przybyla L, Lee M, Lee H, Maller O, Barrett A, Lu K, Lakins J, Hansen K, Obernier K, Alvarez-Buylla A, Phillips J, Nam D, Bertozzi C, & Weaver V. A tension-mediated glycocalyx-integrin feedback loop promotes mesenchymal-like glioblastoma. Nature Cell Biology. 2018
Graduation Year from Residency Program:
Graduation Year from Residency Program: 2021
Charles Dai, MD
- Hometown: Columbia, Maryland
- Education: MD, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine; undergraduate at Rice University
- Fellowship Interests: hematology and oncology
- Clinical and research interests: experimental therapeutics, genitourinary malignancies, androgen signaling, steroid biology
- Personal interests: soccer, art, traveling, hiking
- Dai C, Chung YM, Kovac E, Zhu Z, Li J, Magi-Galluzzi C, Stephenson AJ, Klein EA, Sharifi, N. Direct metabolic interrogation of dihydrotestosterone biosynthesis from adrenal precursors in primary prostatectomy tissues. Clin. Cancer Res. 23(20): 6351–6363 (2017)
- Dai, C., Heemers, H. & Sharifi, N. Androgen signaling in prostate cancer. Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Med. 7(9): a030452 (2017)
- Dai C, Ganesan V, Zabell J, Nyame Y, Almassi N, Greene D, Hettel D, Reichard C, Haywood S, Arora H, Zampini A, Crane A, Li, J, El-Shafei A, Magi-Galluzzi C, Stein R, Fareed K, Gong M, Jones SJ, Klein EA, Stephenson A. Impact of 5α-reductase inhibitors on disease reclassification among men on active surveillance for localized prostate cancer with favorable features. Journal of Urology. 199(2): 445-452 (2018)
- Dai C & Sharifi N. The Molecular Biology of Prostate Cancer. Chapter 69. DeVita, Hellman, and Rosenberg's Cancer: Principles and Practice of Oncology. 11th edition. 1076-1083 (2018).
- Gao XM*, Dai C*, Huang SS*, Tang JJ*, Chen GY, Li JN, Zhu ZQ, Zhu XY, Zhou SR, Gao YY, Hou ZM, Fang ZJ, Xu CD, Wang JY, Wu DL, Sharifi N, Li ZF. Functional silencing of HSD17B2 in prostate cancer promotes disease progression. Clin. Cancer Res. 25(4): 1291-1301 (2019). *Denotes equal co-authorship
Jonathan Downie, MD, PhD
- Hometown: West Bountiful, UT
- Education: MD and PhD, University of Utah School of Medicine; undergraduate at University of Utah
- Clinical and research interests: elucidation of disease mechanisms and discovery of novel therapeutics via functional genomics and human genetic approaches, familial/heritable adult onset conditions, oncology, cardiology, genomic medicine
- Personal interests: fitness/weightlifting, basketball, soccer, fantasy and science fiction genre, reading, photography, socializing with friends, trying new restaurants
- Downie JM*, Gibson SB*, Tsetsou S*, Russell KL*, Keefe M, Figueroa K, Bromberg MB, Murtaugh LC, Bonkowsky JL, Pulst SM, Jorde LB. Loss of TP73 function contributes to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis pathogenesis. bioRxiv.
- Gibson SB*, Downie JM*, Tsetsou S, Feusier JE, Figueroa KP, Bromberg MB, Jorde LB, Pulst SM. The evolving genetic risk for sporadic ALS. Neurology. 2017 Jul 18;89(3):226-233.
- Hu H, Petousi N, Glusman G, Yu Y, Bohlender R, Tashi T, Downie JM, Roach JC, Cole AM, Lorenzo FR, Rogers AR, Brunkow ME, Cavalleri G, Hood L, Alpatty SM, Prchal JT, Jorde LB, Robbins PA, Simonson TS, Huff CD. Evolutionary history of Tibetans inferred from whole-genome sequencing. PLoS Genet. 2017 Apr 27;13(4):e1006675.
- Mangum DS*, Downie JM*, Mason CC, Jahromi MS, Joshi D, Rodic V, Müschen M, Meeker N, Trede N, Frazer JK, Zhou Y, Cheng C, Jeha S, Pui CH, Willman CL, Harvey RC, Hunger SP, Yang JJ, Barnette P, Mullighan CG, Miles RR, Schiffman JD. VPREB1 deletions occur independent of lambda light chain rearrangement in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Leukemia. 2014 Jan;28(1):216-20.
Jacquelyn Nestor, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Worcester, PA
- Education: MD/PhD, Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell; undergraduate at Princeton University
- Clinical and research interests: autoimmunity and the effects of systemic inflammation on the brain
- Personal interests: baking, seeing Broadway shows, playing music
- Nestor, J., Arinuma, Y., Huerta, T.S., Kowal, C., Nasiri, E., Kello, N., Fujieda, Y., Bialas, A., Hammond, T., Sriram, U., Stevens, B., Huerta, P.T., Volpe, B.T., & Diamond, B. Lupus antibodies induce behavioral changes mediated by microglia and blocked by ACE inhibitors. Journal of Experimental Medicine. 2018, Sep; 215(10): 2554-2566.
- Nestor, J., Gata-Garcia, A., Arinuma, Y., Fujieda, Y., Kowal, C., & Diamond, B. Immune-mediated Brain Pathology: From Autoantibodies to Microglia. Discovery Medicine. 2016, Oct; 22(121): 201-207.
Ted Pak, MD, PhD
- Hometown: New York, NY
- Education: MD and PhD, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai; undergraduate at Harvard College
- Clinical and research interests: developing new applications of informatics and sequencing technologies to better track, prevent and treat infectious diseases
- Personal interests: writing software, string music, music mashups, running, biking
- Michlmayr D*, Pak TR*, Rahman AH, Amir ED, Kim EY, Kim-Schulze S, Suprun M, Stewart MG, Thomas GP, Balmaseda A, Wang L, Zhu J, Suaréz-Fariñas M, Wolinsky SM, Kasarskis A, Harris E. Comprehensive innate immune profiling of chikungunya virus infection in pediatric cases. Mol Syst Biol. 2018 Aug 27;14(8):e7862.
- Pak TR, Chacko KI, O'Donnell T, Huprikar SS, van Bakel H, Kasarskis A, Scott ER. Estimating local costs associated with Clostridium difficile infection using machine learning and electronic medical records. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017 Dec;38(12):1478-1486.
- Pak TR, Kasarskis A. How next-generation sequencing and multiscale data analysis will transform infectious disease management. Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Dec 1;61(11):1695-702.
Leon Pappas, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Athens, Greece and Boston, MA
- Education: MD, Boston University; PhD, ETH Zurich; MSc, University of Oxford; BA, Harvard University
- Clinical and research interests: B and T cell immunology, cellular and humoral immunotherapies, cancer immunology
- Personal interests: playing the piano, running, traveling, trying out new restaurants
- Rapid development of broadly influenza neutralizing antibodies through redundant mutations. Pappas L, Foglierini M, Piccoli L, Kallewaard NL, Turrini F, Silacci C, Fernandez-Rodriguez B, Agatic G, Giacchetto-Sasselli I, Pellicciotta G, Sallusto F, Zhu Q, Vicenzi E, Corti D, Lanzavecchia A. Nature. 2014. Dec 18;516(7531):418-22
- CDKN2A/CDK4 status in Greek patients with familial melanoma and association with clinico-epidemiological parameters. Karagianni F, Njauw CN, Kypreou KP, Stergiopoulou A, Plaka M, Polydorou D, Chasapi V, Pappas L, Stratigos IA, Champsas G, Panagiotou P, Gogas H, Evangelou E, Tsao H, Statigos AJ, Stefanaki I. Acta Derm Venereol. 2018. Oct 10;98(9):862-866
- Rational development of a protective P. vivax vaccine evaluated with transgenic rodent parasite challenge models. Salman AM, Montoya-Diaz E, West H, Lall A, Atcheson E, Lopez-Camacho C, Ramesar J, Bauza K, Collins KA, Brod F, Reis F, Pappas L, Gonzalez-Ceron L, Janse CJ, Hill AVS, Khan SM, Reyes-Sandoval A. Sci Rep. 2017. Apr 18;7:46482.
- Persistent antibody clonotypes dominate the serum response to influenza over multiple years and repeated vaccinations. Lee J, Paparoditis P, Horton AP, Fruhwirth A, McDaniel JR, Jung J, Boutz DR, Hussein DA, Tanno Y, Pappas L, Ippolito GC, Corti D, Lanzavecchia A, Georgiou G. Cell Host Microbe. 2019. Mar 13;25(3):367-376.e5
- AncesTree: An interactive immunoglobulin lineage tree visualizer. Foglierini M, Pappas L, Lanzavecchia A, Corti D, Perez L. PLoS Comput Biol. 2020. Jul 10;16(7):e1007731.
Amanda PeBenito, MD
- Hometown: Atco, New Jersey
- Education: MD, New York University School of Medicine; undergraduate at Columbia University
- Fellowship interests: gastroenterology
- Clinical and research interests: understanding the role of gut microbiome dysbiosis in host disease states
- Personal interests: yoga, gardening, Latin-American literature, exploring nature
- Liu M, Koh H, Kurtz ZD, Battaglia T, PeBenito A, Li H, Nazzal L, Blaser MJ. Oxalobacter formigenes-associated host features and microbial community structures examined using the American Gut Project. Microbiome. 2017 Aug 25;5(1):108.
- PeBenito A, Nazzal L, Wang C, Li H, Jay M, Noya-Alarcon O, Contreras M, Lander O, Leach J, Dominguez-Bello MG, Blaser MJ. Comparative prevalence of Oxalobacter formigenes in three human populations. Scientific Reports. 2019 Jan 24;9(1):574.
- Pebenito A, Liu M, Nazzal L, Blaser MJ. Development of a humanized murine model for the study of Oxalobacter formigenes intestinal colonization. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2019 Oct 22; 220(11):1848-1858.
John Schell, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Salt Lake City, Utah
- Education: MD and PhD, University of Utah; undergraduate at University of Utah
- Clinical and research interests: biochemistry, metabolism, stem cell biology, hematology/oncology
- Personal interests: backpacking, fly-fishing, skiing, road biking, running
- Bricker DK*, Taylor EB*, Schell JC*, Orsak T*, Boutron A, Chen Y, Cox JE, Cardon CM, Van Vranken JG, Dephoure N, Redin C, Boudina S, Gygi SP, Brivet M, Thummel CS, and Rutter J. A Mitochondrial Pyruvate Carrier Required for Pyruvate Uptake in Yeast, Drosophila, and Humans. Science, July 2012; 337(6090):96-100. (* denotes co-first author).
- Schell JC*, Olson KA*, Jiang L, Hawkins A, Van Vranken JG, Xie, J, Egnatchik, RA, Earl E, DeBerardinis R, Rutter J. A role for the mitochondrial pyruvate carrier as a repressor of the Warburg Effect and colon cancer cell growth. Molecular Cell, 56(3), 6 November 2014: 400-413 (* denotes co-first author).
- Schell JC, Wisidagama DR, Bensard C, Zhao H, Flores A, Wei P, Tanner J, Waller TC, Miao R, Earl C, Sorenson L, Olson KA, Delker D, Kanth P, Jiang L, DeBerardinis RJ, Li DY, Cox J, Christofk H, Lowry WE, Thummel CS, Rutter J. Control of Intestinal Stem Cell Proliferation by Mitochondrial Pyruvate Metabolism. Nature Cell Biology, 19(9), 14 August 2017: 1027-1036.
Aly Shamji, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Ottawa, Canada
- Education: MD, Harvard Medical School; AB and PhD, Harvard University
- Clinical and research interests: gastroenterology and oncology; chemical biology approaches to targeting pathways implicated in the pathogenesis and treatment of autoimmune diseases and cancer
- Personal interests: reading fiction, learning pop songs on the guitar, seeing plays in Boston (my partner is an actress) and running
- Johannessen L, Sundberg TB, O'Connell DJ, Kolde R, Berstler J, Billings KJ, Khor B, Seashore-Ludlow B, Fassl A, Russell CN, Latorre IJ, Jiang B, Graham DB, Perez JR, Sicinski P, Phillips AJ, Schreiber SL, #Gray NS, #Shamji AF, #Xavier RJ. Small-molecule studies identify CDK8 as a regulator of IL-10 in myeloid cells. Nat Chem Biol. 2017 Oct;13(10):1102-1108. doi: 10.1038/nchembio.2458.
- Viswanathan VS, Ryan MJ, Dhruv HD, Gill S, Eichhoff OM, Seashore-Ludlow B, Kaffenberger SD, Eaton JK, Shimada K, Aguirre AJ, Viswanathan SR, Chattopadhyay S, Tamayo P, Yang WS, Rees MG, Chen S, Boskovic ZV, Javaid S, Huang C, Wu X, Tseng YY, Roider EM, Gao D, Cleary JM, Wolpin BM, Mesirov JP, Haber DA, Engelman JA, Boehm JS, Kotz JD, Hon CS, Chen Y, Hahn WC, Levesque MP, Doench JG, Berens ME, Shamji AF, Clemons PA, Stockwell BR, Schreiber SL. Dependency of a therapy-resistant state of cancer cells on a lipid peroxidase pathway. Nature. 2017 Jul 27;547(7664):453-457. doi: 10.1038/nature23007.
- Rees MG, Seashore-Ludlow B, Cheah JH, Adams DJ, Price EV, Gill S, Javaid S, Coletti ME, Jones VL, Bodycombe NE, Soule CK, Alexander B, Li A, Montgomery P, Kotz JD, Hon CS, Munoz B, Liefeld T, Dančík V, Haber DA, Clish CB, Bittker JA, Palmer M, Wagner BK, #Clemons PA, #Shamji AF, #Schreiber SL. Correlating chemical sensitivity and basal gene expression reveals mechanism of action. Nat Chem Biol. 2016 Feb;12(2):109-16. doi: 10.1038/nchembio.1986
- Kuo SY, Castoreno AB, Aldrich LN, Lassen KG, Goel G, Dančík V, Kuballa P, Latorre I, Conway KL, Sarkar S, Maetzel D, Jaenisch R, Clemons PA, #Schreiber SL, #Shamji AF, #Xavier RJ. Small-molecule enhancers of autophagy modulate cellular disease phenotypes suggested by human genetics. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015 Aug 4;112(31):E4281-7. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1512289112.
Graduation Year from Residency Program: 2020
Margaret Allison, MD, PhD
- Hometown: New York, New York
- Education: MD and PhD, University of Michigan; undergraduate at University of Chicago
- Fellowship: Pulmonary/Critical Care – Mass General/BIDMC
- Clinical and research interests: molecular mechanisms of human disease, neuroendocrine control of homeostasis
- Personal interests: rowing, reading (particularly short fiction and poetry), cooking
- Allison MB, Patterson CM, Krashes MJ, Lowell BB, Myers MG Jr, Olson DP. TRAP-seq defines markers for novel populations of hypothalamic and brainstem LepRb neurons. Molecular Metabolism 2015 Feb 7;4(4):299-309.
- Allison MB, Myers MG Jr. 20 years of leptin: connecting leptin signaling to biological function. J Endocrinol. 2014 Oct;223(1):T25-35
Yousef Badran, MD
- Hometown: Amman, Jordan
- Education: MD, University of Jordan
- Fellowship: Gastroenterology – Mass General
- Clinical and research interests: novel primary immunodeficiency disorders, epithelial barrier integrity and acute graft-versus-host-disease
- Personal interests: playing squash, international travel, trying new restaurants, reading
- Chou J*, Badran YR*, Yee CSK, Bainter W, Ohsumi TK, Al-Hammadi S, Pai SY, Feske S, Geha RS. A novel mutation in ORAI1 presenting with combined immunodeficiency and residual T cell function. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2015, Aug; 136(2): 479-482
- Badran YR, Massaad MJ, Bainter W, Cangemi B, Naseem SU, Javad H, Al-Tamemi S, Geha RS, Chou J. Combined immunodeficiency due to a homozygous mutation in ORAI1 that deletes the C-terminus that interacts with STIM1. Clinical Immunology. 2016, May; 166-167(1): 100-102.
- Badran YR, Rajab M, Wakim R, Bainter W, Cangemi B, Massaad M, Geha RS, Chou J. Mutations in pyrin masquerading clinically as a primary immunodeficiency. Clinical Immunology. 2016, Oct; 171:65-66.
- Badran YR, Dedeoglu F, Levya-Castillo JM, Bainter W, Ohsumi TK, Bousvaros A, Goldsmith JD, Geha RS, Chou J. Human RELA haploinsufficiency results in autosomal dominant chronic mucocutaneous ulceration. The Journal of Experimental Medicine. 2017. Accepted.
Justin Becker, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Cortlandt, NY
- Education: MD and PhD, University of Pennsylvania; undergraduate at Harvard College
- Fellowship: Hematology/Oncology – Mass General/BWH/DF
- Clinical and research interests: the control of gene expression in human disease, cancer genomics and epigenomics, tumor evolution
- Personal interests: cooking, going to concerts, playing tennis and squash, skiing, chess
- Becker JS, McCarthy RL, Sidoli S, Donahue G, Kaeding KE, He Z, Lin S, Garcia BA, Zaret KS. Genomic and Proteomic Resolution of Heterochromatin and its Restriction of Alternate Fate Genes. Molecular Cell . 2017 Dec 21; 68(6): 1023-1037.
- Palozola KC, Donahue G, Liu H, Grant GR, Becker JS, Cote A, Yu H, Raj A, Zaret KS. Mitotic transcription and waves of gene reactivation during mitotic exit. Science . 2017 Oct 6; 358(6359): 119-22.
- Becker JS*, Nicetto D , Zaret KS. H3K9me3-Dependent Heterochromatin: Barrier to Cell Fate Changes. Trends in Genetics. 2016 Jan; 32(1): 29 41 *co first authors
- Nicetto D, Donahue G, Jain T, Peng T, Sidoli S, Sheng L, Montavon T, Becker JS, Grindheim JM, Blahnik K, Garcia BA, Tan K, Bonasio R, Jenuwein T, Zaret KS. H3K9me3-heterochromatin loss at protein-coding genes enables developmental lineage specification. Science. 2019 Jan 18; 363(6424): 294-297.
Alexander Bick, MD, PhD
- Hometown: New Jersey
- Education: MD and PhD, Harvard Medical School; undergraduate at Harvard College
- Fellowship: none, assistant professor, Division of Genetic Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Clinical and research interests: tissue engineering and fluid mechanics; defining the contribution of rare genetic variation to human health and disease in the general population
- Bick, A., Calvo, S., Mootha, V. (2012) Evolutionary Diversity of the Mitochondrial Calcium Uniporter. Science.
- Bick, A.,et al. (2012) Burden of rare sarcomere gene variants in the Framingham Heart Study. American Journal of Human Genetics.
- Ito, K., Bick, A. et al. (2013) Increased Burden of Cardiovascular Disease in Carriers of APOL1 Genetic Variants. Circulation Research.
- Flannick, J., Beer, N., Bick, A. et al. (2013) Assessing the phenotypic effects in the general population of rare variants in genes for a dominant Mendelian form of diabetes. Nature Genetics.
- Hometown: Sacramento, California
- Education: MD and PhD, Stanford University School of Medicine; undergraduate at University of California Los Angeles
- Fellowship: Hematology/Oncology - Stanford
- Clinical and research interests: immuno-oncology, hematopoietic stem cell biology, bone marrow transplantation
- Personal interests: road cycling, tennis, hiking
- Chen JY*, Miyanishi M*, Wang SK, Yamazaki S, Sinha R, Kao KS, Seita J, Sahoo D, Nakauchi H, and Weissman IL. Hoxb5 marks long-term haematopoietic stem cells and reveals a homogenous perivascular niche. Nature. 2016, Feb; 530(7589): 223-227.
- Mori Y, Chen JY, Pluvinage JV, Seita J, Weissman IL. Prospective Isolation of Human Erythroid Lineage–Committed Progenitors. PNAS. 2015, Jun; 112(31): 9638-9643.
- Chan KF *, Seo EU*, Chen JY*, Lo D*, Mcardle A, Sinha R, Telvin R, Seita J, Tompkins J, Wearda T, Lu W, Senarath-Yapa K, Chung M, Marecic O, Tran M, Yan K, Upton R, Walmsley G, Lee A, Sahoo D, Kuo CJ, Weissman IL, and Longaker MT. Identification and Specification of the Mouse Skeletal Stem Cell. Cell. 2015, Jan; 160(1-2): 285-298.
Monica Kasbekar, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Matthews, NC
- Education: MD, Washington University in St. Louis; PhD, University of Cambridge; undergraduate at University of Virginia
- Fellowship: Hematology/Oncology – Columbia
- Clinical and research interests: genetic mechanisms of drug resistance, chemical tool development for probing disease mechanisms
- Personal interests: traveling, swimming, eating seafood
- Kasbekar, M., Fischer, G., Mott, B.T., Yasgar, A., Hyvönen, M., Boshoff, H.I., Abell, C., Barry, C.E. and Thomas, C.J., 2016. Selective small molecule inhibitor of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis fumarate hydratase reveals an allosteric regulatory site. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science. USA 113, 7503-7508.
- D.W., Johnson, C.A., Phelan, J.D., Wang, J.Q., Roulland, S., Kasbekar, M., Young, R.M., Shaffer, A.L. and Hodson, D.J., Staudt, L.M., et al. 2018. Genetics and pathogenesis of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. New England Journal of Medicine, 378(15), pp 1396 1407
- Monica Kasbekar, Gerhard Fischer, Bryan T. Mott, Adam Yasgar, Craig J. Thomas, et al., “Selective small molecule inhibitor of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis fumarate hydratase reveals an allosteric regulatory site,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 113, 7503–7508 (2016)
- Roland Schmitz, George W. Wright, Da Wei Huang, Calvin A. Johnson, James D. Phelan, James Q. Wang, Sandrine Roulland, Monica Kasbekar, Louis M. Staudt, et al., “Genetics and pathogenesis of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma,” New England Journal of Medicine 378, 1396–1407 (2018)
- James D. Phelan, Ryan M. Young, Daniel E. Webster, Sandrine Roulland, George W. Wright, Monica Kasbekar, Louis M. Staudt, et al., “A multiprotein supercomplex controlling oncogenic signalling in lymphoma,” Nature 560, 387–391 (2018)
Sumeet Khetarpal, MD, PhD
- Education: MD and PhD, University of Pennsylvania; undergraduate at University of Pennsylvania
- Fellowship: Cardiology – Mass General
- Clinical and research interests: functional genomics and human genetic approaches to uncover new pathways and therapeutic paradigms in cardio metabolic diseases
- Personal interests: cooking, exploring new restaurants, NBA basketball, fitness/running, playing the tabla
- Khetarpal, SA, Zeng X, Millar JS, Vitali C, Somasundara AV, Zanoni P, Landro JA, Barucci N, Zavadoski WJ, Sun Z, de Haard H, Toth IV, Peloso GM, Natarajan P, Cuchel M, Lund-Katz S, Phillips MC, Tall AR, Kathiresan S, DaSilva-Jardine P, Yates NA, Rader DJ. A human APOC3 missense variant and monoclonal antibody accelerate apoC-III clearance and lower triglyceride-rich lipoprotein levels. Nature Khetarpal SA*, Schjoldager KT*, Christoffersen C, Raghavan A, Edmondson AC, Reutter HM, Ahmed B, Ouazzani R, Peloso GM, Vitali C, Zhao W, Somasundara AV, Millar JS, Park Y, Fernando G, Livanov V, Choi S, Noé E, Patel P, Ho SP; Myocardial Infarction Exome Sequencing Study, Kirchgessner TG, Wandall HH, Hansen L, Bennett EP, Vakhrushev SY, Saleheen D, Kathiresan S, Brown CD, Abou
- Jamra R, LeGuern E, Clausen H, Rader DJ. Loss of Function of GALNT2 Lowers High-Density Lipoproteins in Humans, Nonhuman Zanoni P*, Khetarpal SA*, Larach DB*, Hancock-Cerutti WF, Millar JS, Cuchel M, DerOhannessian S, Kontush A, Surendran P, Saleheen D, Trompet S, Jukema JW, De Craen A, Deloukas P, Sattar N, Ford I, Packard C, Majumder Aa, Alam DS, Di Angelantonio E, Abecasis G,Chowdhury R, Erdmann J, Nordestgaard BG, Nielsen SF, Tybjærg-Hansen A, Schmidt RF, Kuulasmaa K, Liu DJ, Perola M, Blankenberg S, Salomaa V, Männistö S, Amouyel P, Arveiler D, Ferrieres J, Müller-Nurasyid M, Ferrario M, Kee F, Willer CJ, Samani N, Schunkert H, Butterworth AS, Howson JM, Peloso GM, Stitziel NO, Danesh J, Kathiresan S, Rader DJ; CHD Exome+ Consortium; CARDIoGRAM Exome Consortium; Global Lipids Genetics Consortium. Rare variant in scavenger receptor BI raises HDL cholesterol and increases risk of coronary heart disease. Science. 2016 Mar 11;351(6278):1166-71. * Denotes equal co-authorship
Eric Mills, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Detroit, Michigan
- Education: MD and PhD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine; undergraduate at University of Michigan
- Fellowship: Cardiology – Mass General
- Clinical and research interests: RNA biology, post-transcriptional control of gene expression, developmental biology in health and disease
- Personal interests: hiking, music, reading, cooking, running
- Mills, Eric W., et al. "Dynamic regulation of a ribosome rescue pathway in erythroid cells and platelets." Cell reports 17.1 (2016): 1-10.
- Mills, E. W., Green, R., & Ingolia, N. T. (2017). Slowed decay of mRNAs enhances platelet specific translation. Blood, blood-2016. In press.
- Chivukula, R. R., Shi, G., Acharya, A., Mills, E. W., Zeitels, L. R., Anandam, J. L., ... & Maitra, A. (2014). An essential mesenchymal function for miR-143/145 in intestinal epithelial regeneration. Cell, 157(5), 1104-1116.
- Brubaker, S. W., Gauthier, A. E., Mills, E. W., Ingolia, N. T., & Kagan, J. C. (2014). A bicistronic MAVS transcript highlights a class of truncated variants in antiviral immunity. Cell, 156(4), 800-811.
Max Petersen, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Mundelein, Illinois
- Education: MD and PhD, Yale School of Medicine; undergraduate at Augustana College
- Fellowship: Endocrinology – Barnes-Jewish/Washington U
- Clinical and research interests: metabolic pathophysiology, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, type 2 diabetes
- Personal interests: spending time with my wife, son, and golden retriever; working out and eating well; track & field; reading
- Petersen MC, Vatner DF, Shulman GI. (2017) Regulation of hepatic glucose metabolism in health and disease. Nature Reviews Endocrinology 13(10): 572 87 PMID: 28731034
- Petersen MC, Madiraju AK, Gassaway BM, Marcel M, Nasiri AR, Butrico G, Marcucci MJ, Zhang D, Abudukadier A, Zhang X-M, Philbrick W, Hubbard SR, Jurczak MJ, Samuel VT, Rinehart J, Shulman GI. (2016) Insulin Receptor Thr1160 Phosphorylation Mediates Lipid-Induced Hepatic Insulin Resistance. Journal of Clinical Investigation 126(11):4361-71. PMID: 27760050
- Nagarajan A*, Petersen MC*, Nasiri AR, Butrico G, Fung A, Ruan H-B, Kursawe R, Caprio S, Thibodeau J, Bourgeois-Daigneault M-C, Sun L, Gao G, Bhanot S, Jurczak MJ, Green MR, Shulman GI, Wajapeyee N. (2016) MARCH1 regulates insulin sensitivity by controlling cell surface insulin receptor levels. Nature Communications 7:12639. PMID: 27577745
Avanthi Raghavan, MD
- Hometown: Orlando, Florida
- Education: MD, Harvard Medical School; undergraduate at University of Pennsylvania
- Fellowship: Cardiology – Mass General
- Clinical and research interests: genetics of lipid metabolism and cardiovascular disease
- Personal interests: traveling, reading, exploring new restaurants
- Pashos EE*, Park Y*, Wang X*, Raghavan A*, Yang W*, Abbey D, Peters DT, Arbelaez J, Hernandez M, Kuperwasser N, Li W, Lian Z, Liu Y, Lv W, Lytle-Gabbin SL, Marchadier DH, Rogov P, Shi J, Slovik KJ, Stylianou IM, Wang L, Yan R, Zhang X, Kathiresan S, Duncan SA, Mikkelsen TS, Morrisey EE, Rader DJ, Brown CD, and Musunuru K. (2017) Large, Diverse Population Cohorts of hiPSCs and Derived Hepatocyte-like Cells Reveal Functional Genetic Variation at Blood Lipid-Associated Loci. Cell Stem Cell. 20:558-570. *Equal contribution
- Wang X, Raghavan A, Chen T, Qiao L, Zhang Y, Ding Q, and Musunuru K. (2016) CRISPR-Cas9 targeting of PCSK9 in human hepatocytes in vivo-Brief Report. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 36: 783-6.
MacLean Sellars, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Glendale, California
- Education: MD, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA; PhD, Université de Strasbourg I; undergraduate at Haverford College
- Fellowship: Hematology/Oncology – Mass General/BWH/DF
- Clinical and research interests: the transcriptional control of cell fate decisions, tumor immunology and immunotherapy
- Personal interests: my twin boys, running, travel, cooking, pottery, gardening, sports
- Sellars M*, Huh JR*, Day K, Issuree PD, Galan C, Gobeil S, Absher D, Green MR, Littman DR. Regulation of DNA methylation dictates Cd4 expression during the development of helper and cytotoxic T cell lineages. Nature Immunol. 2015 Jul;16(7):746-54
- Gialitakis E*, Sellars M*, and Littman DR. The Epigenetic Landscape of Lineage Choice: Lessons from the Heritability of Cd4 and Cd8 Expression. Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology. 2012;356:165-88.
- Sellars M, Reina-San-Martin B, Kastner P, Chan S. Ikaros controls isotype specification during immunoglobulin class switch recombination. Journal of Experimental Medicine. 2009 May; 206(5): 1073-87.
Susan Stanley, MD, PhD
- Hometown: St. Louis, Missouri
- Education: MD and PhD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine; undergraduate at Stanford University
- Fellowship: Infectious Disease – Mass General/BWH
- Clinical and research interests: understanding how rare genetic variants with high penetrance contribute to human disease
- Personal interests: running, swimming, reading
- Stanley SE*, Gable DL*, Wagner CL, Carlile TM, Hanumanthu VS, Podlevsky JD, Khalil SE, DeZern AE, Rojas-Duran MF, Applegate CD, Alder JK, Parry EM, Gilbert WV, Armanios M. Loss-of-function mutations in the RNA biogenesis factor NAF1 predispose to pulmonary fibrosis-emphysema. Sci Transl Med. 2016 Aug 10;8(351):351ra107.
- Stanley SE, Armanios M. The short and long telomere syndromes: paired paradigms for molecular medicine. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2015 Aug;33:1-9.
- Stanley SE, Chen JJ, Podlevsky JD, Alder JK, Hansel NN, Mathias RA, Qi X, Rafaels NM, Wise RA, Silverman EK, Barnes KC, Armanios M. Telomerase mutations in smokers with severe emphysema. J Clin Invest. 2015 Feb;125(2):563-70.
Alexander Tatara, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Hoffman Estates, Illinois
- Education: MD, Baylor College of Medicine; PhD, Rice University; undergraduate at Washington University in St. Louis
- Fellowship: Infectious Disease – Mass General/BWH
- Clinical and research Interests: biomaterials, tissue engineering, opportunistic infections, mycology, immunocompromised
- Personal interests: playing banjo, trying new restaurants, cheering for the Houston Rockets
- Tatara AM, Kontoyiannis DP, Mikos AG. Drug Delivery and Tissue Engineering to Promote Wound Healing in the Immunocompromised Host: Current Challenges and Future Directions. (2017). Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. PMID: 2T9a2ta2r1a9A62M
- Tatara AM, Mikos AG, Kontoyiannis DP. Factors Affecting Patient Outcome in Primary Cutaneous Aspergillosis. (2016).
- Tatara AM, Shah SR, Demain N, Ho T, Shum J, van den Beucken JJJP, Jansen JA, Wong ME, Mikos AG. Reconstruction of large mandibular defects using autologous tissues generated from in vivo bioreactors. (2016). Acta Biomaterialia. PMID: 27633319
- Tatara AM, Koons GL, Watson E, Piepergerdes TC, Shah SR, Smith BT, Shum J, Melville JC, Hanna IA, Demian N, Ho T, Ratcliffe A, van den Beucken JJJP, Jansen JA, Wong ME, Mikos AG. Biomaterials-aided Mandibular Reconstruction Using In Vivo Bioreactors (2019). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. PMID: 30886100.
- Tatara AM, Watson E, Mikos AG, Kontoyiannis DP. Poly (diol fumarates) and poly (diol fumarate-co-succinates). US Patent App. 16/146,258.
Graduation Year from Residency Program: 2019
Johan (Leo) BoneschanskerMass General Hospital
- Education: MD, University of Groningen; PhD, University of Groningen
- Fellowship: Gastroenterology
- Clinical and research interests: leukocyte migration patterns using microfluidic-chip technology
- Boneschansker L, Nakayama H, Eisenga M, Wedel J, Klagsbrun M, Irimia D, Briscoe DM. Netrin-1 Augments chemokinesis in CD4+ T cells in vitro and elicits a proinflammatory response in vivo.J Immuno. 2016 Jul 18 pii: 1502432
- Boneschansker L*, Inoue Y*, Oklu R, Irimia D. Capillary plexuses are vulnerable to neutrophil extracellular traps. Integr Biol (Camb). 2016 Feb 15;8(2):149-55
- Boneschansker L*, Yan J*, Wong E, Briscoe DM and Irimia D. Microfluidic platform for the quantitative analysis of leukocyte migration signatures. Nat Commun 2014; 5:4787.
Katie MaurerMass General/BWH
- Education: MD and PhD, New York University School of Medicine; undergraduate at University of Rochester
- Fellowship: Hematology/Oncology
- Clinical and research interests: novel cancer therapeutics, immune-mediated diseases, microbe-host interactions and implications for cancer treatment
- Maurer K, Reyes-Robles T, Alonzo III F, Durbin J, Torres VJ, Cadwell K. Autophagy Mediates Tolerance to Staphylococcus aureus Alpha-Toxin. (2015). Cell Host Microbe. PMID: 25816775
- Maurer K*, Kernbauer E*, Torres VJ, Shopsin B, Cadwell K. Gastrointestinal Dissemination and Transmission of Staphylococcus aureus Following Bacteremia. (2015). Infection and Immunity. *co-first author. PMID: 25385792
- Hubbard-Lucey VM*, Shono Y*, Maurer K, West ML, Singer NV, Ziegler CG, Lezcano C, Motta AC, Schmid K, Levi SM, Murphy GF, Liu C, Winkler JD, Amaravadi RK, Rogler G, Dickinson AM, Holler E, van den Brink MR, Cadwell K. (2014). Autophagy Gene Atg16l1 Prevents Lethal T Cell Alloreactivity Mediated by Dendritic Cells. Immunity. *co-first author. PMID: 25308334
Arnav MehtaMass General/DFCI/BWH
- Education: MD, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA; PhD, California Institute of Technology; undergraduate at Duke University
- Fellowship: Hematology/Oncology
- Lab post-doctoral mentor: Aviv Regev and Nir Hacohen
- Clinical and research interests: tumor immunology, genomics, computational biology and machine learning
- Mehta, A., Ghaghada, K. B., and Mukundan, S. Molecular imaging of brain tumors using liposomal contrast agents and nanoparticles. MRI Clinics of North America. 24(4): 751-763. 2016.
- Mehta, A.* and Baltimore, D.* MicroRNAs as regulatory elements in immune system logic. Nature Reviews Immunology. 16: 279-294. 2016. *co-corresponding author.
- Mehta, A., Mann, M., Zhao, J. L., Marinov, G. K., Majumdar, D., Garcia-Flores, Y., Du, X., Erikci, E., Chowdhury, K. and Baltimore, D. The microRNA-212/132 cluster regulates B cell development and apoptosis by targeting Sox4. Journal of Experimental Medicine. 212(10): 1679-92. 2015.
- Mehta, A., Zhao, J. L., Sinha, N., Marinov, G. K., Mann, M., Kowalczyk, M. K., Galamidi, R. P., Du, X., Erikci, E., Regev, A., Chowdury, K. and Baltimore, D. The microRNA-132 and microRNA-212 cluster regulates hematopoietic stem cell maintenance and survival with age by buffering FOXO3 expression. Immunity. 42(6): 1021-1032. 2015.
Raaj MehtaMass General
- Education: MD, Harvard Medical School; undergraduate at Princeton University
- Fellowship: Gastroenterology
- Lab post-doctoral mentor: Andrew T. Chan, Curtis Huttenhower
- Clinical and research interests: temporal dynamics of the gut microbiome; gut microbial metabolism of xenobiotics
- Mehta RS, Abu-Ali G, Drew DA, Lloyd-Price J, Lochhead P, Subramanian A, Joshi A, Ivey K, Khalili H, Brown GT, Song M, Nguyen L, Rimm EB, Izard J, Huttenhower C, Chan AT. Stability of the Human Fecal Microbiome in a Cohort of Adult Men. Nature Microbiology. 2018 Mar;3(3):347-355. PMID: 29335554.
- Abu-Ali G, Mehta RS, Malick H, Branck T, Ivey KL, Drew DA, DuLong C, Rimm EB, Izard J, Chan AT, Huttenhower C. Metatranscriptome of human fecal microbial communities in a cohort of adult men. Nature Microbiology. 2018 Mar;3(3):356-366. PMID: 29335555
- Mehta RS, Song M, Nishihara R, Wu K, Qian ZR, Kim SA, Sukawa Y, Mima K, Inamura K, Fung T, Masuda A, Yang J, Fuchs CS, Giovannucci EL, Ogino S, Chan AT. Dietary Patterns and Risk of Colorectal Cancer: Analysis by Tumor Location and Molecular Subtypes. Gastroenterology. Feb 26, 2017. PMID: 28249812.
- Mehta RS, Mima K, Song M, Nishihara R, Cao Y, Qian ZR, Kostic AD, Giannakis M, Bullman S, Milner DA, Fung T, Baba H, Giovannucci RL, Freeman GJ, Dranoff G, Garrett WS, Huttenhower C, Meyerson M, Wu K, Meyerhardt JA, Fuchs CS, Ogino S, Chan AT. Association of Dietary Patterns With Risk of Colorectal Cancer Subtypes Classified by Fusobacterium nucleatum in Tumor Tissue. JAMA Oncology. January 26, 2017. PMID: 28125762
Vivek NaranbhaiMass General/BWH
- Education: MBChB and PhD, University of KwaZulu; DPhil, University of Oxford
- Fellowship: Hematology/Oncology
- Clinical and research interests: genomics, infectious disease, immunology, oncology
- Naranbhai V, Abdool Karim SS, Altfeld M, Samsunder N, Durgiah R, Sibeko S, Abdool Karim Q, Carr WH and the CAPRISA004 TRAPS team. Innate Immune activation enhances HIV-1 acquisition in women, diminishing the effectiveness of tenofovir microbicide gel. J Infect Dis. 2012 Oct 1;206(7):993-1001.
- Naranbhai V, Abdool Karim Q, Naidoo K, Yende-Zuma N, Abdool Karim SS. Sustainability of task-shifting for antiretroviral treatment. Lancet. 2012 Dec 1;380(9857):1907-8.
- Fairfax BP, Humburg P, Makino S, Naranbhai V, Wong D, Lau E, Jostins L, Plant K, Andrews R, McGee C, Knight JC. Innate Immune Activity Conditions Effects of Common Regulatory Variants upon Monocyte Gene Expression. Science. 2014 Mar 7;343(6175):1246949.
- Naranbhai V, Fairfax BP, Makino S, Humburg P, Wong D, Ng E, Hill AVS, Knight JC. Genomic modulators of gene expression in human neutrophils. Nature Communications. 2015 Jul 7;6:7545. doi: 10.1038/ncomms8545.
- Naranbhai V, Fletcher HA, Tanner R, O’Shea M, McShane H, Fairfax BP, Knight JC, Hill AVS. Distinct transcriptional and anti-mycobacterial profiles of peripheral blood monocytes dependent on the ratio of monocytes:lymphocytes. EBiomedicine. 2015 Sep 24;2(11):1619-1626. eCollection 2015 Nov.
Joe PlanerUniversity of Pennsylvania
- Education: MD and PhD, Washington University School of Medicine; undergraduate at Beloit College
- Fellowship: Pulmonary and Critical Care
- Clinical and research interests: interactions between the environment, epithelial surfaces and innate and adaptive immune responses
- Planer JD, Peng Y, Kau AL, Blanton LV, Ndao IM, Dantas G, Tarr PI, Warner BB, Gordon JI. Development of the gut microbiota and mucosal IgA responses in twins and gnotobiotic mice. Nature. (2016) 534(7606):263-6
- Kau AL, Planer JD, Rao S, Yatsunenko T, Trehan I, Manary MJ, Liu T-C, Stappenbeck TS, Maleta KM, Ashorn P, Dewey KG, Hsieh C-S, Gordon JI. Functional characterization of mucosal IgA-targeted members of the gut microbiota of undernourished Malawian children. Science Translational Medicine. (2015) 7(276): 276ra24
Viral ShahMass General/BIDMC
- Education: MD and PhD, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine; undergraduate at Case Western Reserve University
- Fellowship: Pulmonary and Critical Care
- Clinical and research interests: interactions between the environment, epithelial surfaces, and innate and adaptive immune responses
- Shah VS, Meyerholz DK, Tang XX, Reznikov L, Abou Alaiwa M, Ernst SE, Karp PH, Wohlford-Lenane CL, Heilmann KP, Leidinger MR, Allen PD, Zabner J, McCray PB Jr, Ostedgaard LS, Stoltz DA, Randak CO, Welsh MJ. Airway acidification initiates host defense abnormalities in cystic fibrosis mice. Science. 2016 Jan 29;351(6272):503-7. doi: 10.1126/science.aad5589. PMID: 26823428
- Shah VS, Ernst S, Tang XX, Karp PH, Parker CP, Ostedgaard LS, Welsh MJ. Relationships among CFTR expression, HCO3- secretion, and host defense may inform gene- and cell-based cystic fibrosis therapies. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 May 10;113(19):5382-7. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1604905113. Epub 2016 Apr 25. PMID: 27114540
Sathish SubramanianMass General
- Education: MD and PhD, Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine; undergraduate at University of Pennsylvania
- Fellowship: Gastroenterology
- Clinical and research interests: interactions between gut bacteria and mucosal immunity during postnatal development and disease states
- Subramanian, S., Huq, S., Yatsunenko, T., Haque, R., Mahfuz, M., Alam, M.A., Benezra, A., DeStefano, J., Meier, M.F., Muegge, B.D., et al. (2014). Persistent gut microbiota immaturity in malnourished Bangladeshi children. Nature 510, 417–421.
- Subramanian, S., Blanton, L.V., Frese, S.A., Charbonneau, M., Mills, D.A., and Gordon, J.I. (2015). Cultivating Healthy Growth and Nutrition through the Gut Microbiota. Cell 161, 36–48
Graduation Year from Residency Program: 2018
Maximilian F. KonigJohns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Education: Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin (MD)
- Fellowship: Rheumatology
- Clinical and research interests: systemic autoimmunity; microbial-immune cell interactions as triggers of autoimmunity; neutrophil biology
- Konig MF, Abusleme L, Reinholdt J, Palmer RJ, Teles RP, Sampson K, Rosen A, Nigrovic PA, Sokolove J, Giles JT, Moutsopoulos NM, Andrade F. Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans-induced hypercitrullination links periodontal infection to autoimmunity in rheumatoid arthritis. Sci Transl Med. 2016 Dec 14;8(369):369ra176.
- To Prevent Rheumatoid Arthritis, Look Past the Joints to the Gums. JAMA. 2017 Mar 28;317(12):1201-1202.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: New model linking periodontitis and RA. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2017 Feb;13(2):66.
- Konig MF, Andrade F. A critical reappraisal of neutrophil extracellular traps (NETs) and NETosis mimics based on differential requirements for protein citrullination. Front Immunol. 2016 Nov 4;7:461.
- Konig MF, Giles JT, Nigrovic PA, Andrade F. Antibodies to native and citrullinated RA33 (hnRNP A2/B1) challenge citrullination as the inciting principle underlying loss of tolerance in rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2016 Nov;75(11):2022-2028.
- Konig MF, Paracha AS, Moni M, Bingham CO 3rd, Andrade F. Defining the role of Porphyromonas gingivalis peptidylarginine deiminase (PPAD) in rheumatoid arthritis through the study of PPAD biology. Ann Rheum Dis. 2015 Nov; 74(11):2054-61.
Daniel OkinMass General/BIDMC
- Education: Yale University
- Fellowship: Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine
- Lab Post-Doctoral Mentor: TBD
- Clinical and research interest: chronic inflammation, the role of inflammation in homeostasis, ILD
- Okin D and Medzhitov R. Evolution of inflammatory diseases. Curr Biol, 2012 vol. 22 (17) pp. R733-40.
- Okin D and Medzhitov R. The effect of sustained inflammation on hepatic mevalonate pathway results in hyperglycemia. Cell, 2016 vol. 165 (2) pp. 343-356.
Jacob RosenbergMass General/Brigham
- Education: Brown University (undergraduate), Stanford (MD/PhD)
- Fellowship: Infectious Diseases
- Clinical and research interest: host correlates of susceptibility to Infection
- Neutralizing Anti-Cytokine Autoantibodies Against Interferon-α in Immunodysregulation Polyendocrinopathy Enteropathy X-Linked.
- Rosenberg JM, Maccari ME, Barzaghi F, Allenspach EJ, Pignata C, Weber G, Torgerson TR, Utz PJ, Bacchetta R.
- Front Immunol. 2018 Mar 29;9:544. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2018.00544. eCollection 2018. PMID: 29651287
- Protein microarrays identify disease-specific anti-cytokine autoantibody profiles in the landscape of immunodeficiency.
- Rosenberg JM, Price JV, Barcenas-Morales G, Ceron-Gutierrez L, Davies S, Kumararatne DS, Döffinger R, Utz PJ. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016 Jan;137(1):204-213.e3. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2015.07.032. Epub 2015 Sep 11. Erratum in: J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016 Jun;137(6):1917. PMID: 26365387
- Broad-spectrum antibodies against self-antigens and cytokines in RAG deficiency.
- Walter JE, Rosen LB, Csomos K, Rosenberg JM, Mathew D, Keszei M, Ujhazi B, Chen K, Lee YN, Tirosh I, Dobbs K, Al-Herz W, Cowan MJ, Puck J, Bleesing JJ, Grimley MS, Malech H, De Ravin SS, Gennery AR, Abraham RS, Joshi AY, Boyce TG, Butte MJ, Nadeau KC, Balboni I, Sullivan KE, Akhter J, Adeli M, El-Feky RA, El-Ghoneimy DH, Dbaibo G, Wakim R, Azzari C, Palma P, Cancrini C, Capuder K, Condino-Neto A, Costa-Carvalho BT, Oliveira JB, Roifman C, Buchbinder D, Kumanovics A, Franco JL, Niehues T, Schuetz C, Kuijpers T, Yee C, Chou J, Masaad MJ, Geha R, Uzel G, Gelman R, Holland SM, Recher M, Utz PJ, Browne SK, Notarangelo LD. J Clin Invest. 2015 Nov 2;125(11):4135-48. doi: 10.1172/JCI80477. Epub 2015 Oct 12. PMID: 26457731
Jaime L. SchneiderMassachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Education: Albert Einstein College of Medicine (MD/PhD)
- Fellowship: Hematology/Oncology
- Clinical and research interest: mechanisms of metabolic and proteostasis dysregulation in cancer
- Schneider JL, Suh Y, Cuervo AM. Deficient chaperone-mediated autophagy in liver leads to metabolic dysregulation. Cell Metab. 2014 Sep 02; 20(3):417-32. PMID: 25043815.
- Schneider JL, Villarroya J, Diaz-Carretero A, Patel B, Urbanska AM, Thi MM, Villarroya F, Santambrogio L, Cuervo AM. Loss of hepatic chaperone-mediated autophagy accelerates proteostasis failure in aging. Aging Cell. 2015 Apr; 14(2):249-64. PMID: 25620427.
- Schneider JL, Cuervo AM. Liver autophagy: much more than just taking out the trash. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014 Mar; 11(3):187-200. PMID: 24192609.
Samir ZaidiMemorial Sloan Kettering Hospital
- Education: Yale School of Medicine (MD/PhD)
- Fellowship: Oncology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Hospital
- Clinical and research interest: cancer biology
- *Homsy, J., *Zaidi, S., *Shen, Y., *Ware, J., Samocha, K.E., Karczewski, K.J., DePalma, S.R., McKean, D., Wakimoto, H., Gorham, J., Jin, S.C., Deanfield, J., Giardini, A., Porter, G., Kim, R., Bilguvar, K., Lopez, F., Tikhonova, I., Mane, S., Romano-Adesman, A., Qi, H., Vardarajan, B., Ma, L., Daly, M., Roberts, A.E., Russell, M.W., Mital, S., Newburger, J.W., Gaynor, J.W., Brietbart, R.E., Iossifov, I., Ronemus, M., Sanders, S.J., Kaltman, J.R., Seidman, J.G., Brueckner, M.. Gelb, B.D., Goldmuntz, E., Lifton, R., Seidman, C.E., Chung, W.K. (2015) De novo mutations in congenital heart disease with neurodevelopmental and other congenital anomalies. Science , 350: 1262-1266.*Equal Contribution
- Stuart, B.D., Choi, J., Zaidi, S., Xing, C., Holohan, B., Chen, R., Choi, M., Dharwadkar, P., Torres, F., Girod, C.E., Weissler, J., Fitzgerald, J., Kershaw, C., Klesney-Tait, J., Mageto, Y., Shay, J.W., Ji, W., Bilguvar, K., Mane, S, Lifton, R.P., Garcia, C.K. (2015) Exome sequencing links mutations in PARN and RTEL1with familial pulmonary fibrosis and telomeric shortening. Nature Genetics 47: 512-517.
- Zaidi, S., Choi, M., Wakimoto, H., Ma, L., Jiang, J., Overton, J.D., Romano-Adesman, A., Bjornson, R.D., Breitbart, R.E., Brown, K.K., Carriero, N.J., Cheung, Y.H., Deanfield, J., DePalma, S., Fakhro, K.A., Glessner, J., Hakonarson, H., Italia, M.J., Kaltman, J.R., Kaski, J., Kim, R., Kline, J.K., Lee, T., Leipzig, J., Lopez, A., Mane, S.M., Mitchell, L.E., Newburger, J.W., Parfenov, M., Pe'er, I., Porter, G., Roberts, A.E., Sachidanandam, R., Sanders, S.J., Seiden, H.S., State, M.W., Subramanian, S., Tikhonova, I.R., Wang, W., Warburton, D., White, P.S., Williams, I.A., Zhao, H., Seidman, J.G., Brueckner, M., Chung, W.K., Gelb, B.D., Goldmuntz, E., Seidman, C.E., Lifton, R.P. (2013) De novo mutations in histone modifying genes in congenital heart disease. Nature 13; 220-223.
Memorial Sloan Kettering
- Hometown: Potomac, MD
- Education: MD and PhD, University of Pennsylvania; undergraduate at Stanford University
- Fellowship interests: cardiology
- Clinical and research interests: signal transduction in CD4 T cells; advocacy for underrepresented minorities in medicine and science
- Nicholas F Parrish and Craig B Wilen, Banks LB, et al.Transmitted/Founder and Chronic Subtype C HIV-1 Use CD4 and CCR5 Receptors with Equal Efficiency and Are Not Inhibited by Blocking the Integrin α4β7. Plos Pathogens(2012). 8:5.
- Banks L, Gholamin S, White E, et al. Comparing Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cell DNA and Circulating Plasma viral RNA pol Genotypes in Subtype C HIV-1. Journal of AIDS and Clinical Research (2012). 3:2.
Rishi Puram, MD, PhDMassachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Hometown: Edina, MN
- Education: MD and PhD, Harvard; undergraduate at MIT
- Fellowship: Hematology/Oncology
- Puram, R.V., Kowalczyk, M.S., de Boer, C.G., Schneider, R.K., Miller, P.G., McConkey, M., Tothova, Z., Tejero, H., Heckl, D., Järås, M. and Chen, M.C., 2016. Core circadian clock genes regulate leukemia stem cells in AML. Cell, 165(2), pp.303-316.
Graduation Year from Residency Program: 2017
John S. AlbinMassachusetts Institute of Technology
- Education: University of Minnesota (MD/PhD), University of Kansas (BA)
- Fellowship: Infectious Diseases
- Lab post-doctoral mentor: Bradley L. Pentelute
- Clinical and research interest: better living through chemistry
- Richards C*, Albin JS*, Demir Ö, Shaban NM, Luengas EM, Land AM, Anderson BD, Holten JR, Anderson JS, Harki DA, Amaro RE, Harris RS. The Binding Interface between Human APOBEC3F and HIV-1 Vif Elucidated by Genetic and Computational Approaches. Cell Rep. 2015 Dec 01; 13(9):1781-8. PMID: 26628363; PMCID: PMC4684092.
- Bohn MF*, Shandilya SM*, Albin JS, Kouno T, Anderson BD, McDougle RM, Carpenter MA, Rathore A, Evans L, Davis AN, Zhang J, Lu Y, Somasundaran M, Matsuo H, Harris RS, Schiffer CA. Crystal structure of the DNA cytosine deaminase APOBEC3F: the catalytically active and HIV-1 Vif-binding domain. Structure. 2013 Jun 04; 21(6):1042-50. PMID: 23685212; PMCID: PMC3805256.
- Albin JS, LaRue RS, Weaver JA, Brown WL, Shindo K, Harjes E, Matsuo H, Harris RS. A single amino acid in human APOBEC3F alters susceptibility to HIV-1 Vif. J Biol Chem. 2010 Dec 24; 285(52):40785-92. PMID: 20971849; PMCID: PMC3003379.
(Peter) Geon KimDFCI/BWH/Mass General
- Education: Harvard College (Undergrad), Harvard Medical School (MD)
- Fellowship: Oncology Fellowship at DFCI/BWH/Mass General
- Lab post-doctoral mentor: Dr. Ben Ebert
- Clinical and research interest: BMT/leukemia/lymphoma/hematology
- Kim PG, Nakano H, Das PP, Chen MJ, Rowe RG, Chou SS, Ross SJ, Sakamoto KM, Zon LI, Schlaeger TM, Orkin SH, Nakano A, Daley GQ. Flow-induced protein kinase A-CREB pathway acts via BMP signaling to promote HSC emergence. J Exp Med. 2015 May 4; 212(5):633-48.
- Kim PG, Albacker CE, Lu YF, Jang IH, Lim Y, Heffner GC, Arora N, Bowman TV, Lin MI, Lensch MW, De Los Angeles A, Zon LI, Loewer S, Daley GQ. Signaling axis involving Hedgehog, Notch, and Scl promotes the embryonic endothelial-to-hematopoietic transition. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Jan 8; 110(2):E141- 50.
Brian RosboroughUniversity of Pittsburgh
- Education: Bucknell University (BS), University of Pittsburgh (MD, PhD)
- Fellowship: Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- Lab post-doctoral mentor: Prabir Ray
- Clinical and research interest: pulmonary immunology, sepsis, ARDS
- Rosborough BR, Mathews LR, Matta BM, Liu Q, Raich-Regue D, Thomson AW, Turnquist HR. Cutting edge: Flt3 ligand mediates STAT3-independent expansion but STAT3-dependent activation of myeloid-derived suppressor cells. J Immunol 2014, Apr; 192 (8): 3470-3473. PubMed PMID: 24639346.
- Rosborough BR, Raich-Regue D, Liu Q, Venkataramanan R, Turnquist HR, Thomson AW. Adenosine triphosphate- competitive mTOR inhibitors: a new class of immunosuppressive agents that inhibit allograft rejection (Brief Communication). Am J Transplant. 2014, Sep; 14 (9): 2173-2180. PubMed PMID: 25307040.
- Rosborough BR, Raich-Regue D, Matta BM, Lee K, Gan B, DePinho RA, Hackstein H, Boothby M, Turnquist HR, Thomson AW. Murine dendritic cell rapamycin-resistant and rictor-independent mTOR controls IL-10, B7-H1, and regulatory T-cell induction. Blood. 2013, May; 121 (18): 3619-3630. PubMed PMID: 23444404.
Johannes F. ScheidMassachusetts General Hospital
- Education: Charite, Berlin (MD), The Rockefeller University (PhD)
- Fellowship: Gastroenterology
- Clinical and research interest: immunology
- Sequence and structural convergence of broad and potent HIV antibodies that mimic CD4 binding.
- Scheid JF, Mouquet H, Ueberheide B, Diskin R, Klein F, Oliveira TY, Pietzsch J, Fenyo D, Abadir A, Velinzon K, Hurley A, Myung S, Boulad F, Poignard P, Burton DR, Pereyra F, Ho DD, Walker BD, Seaman MS, Bjorkman PJ, Chait BT, Nussenzweig MC. Science. 2011 Sep 16;333(6049):1633-7. doi: 10.1126/science.1207227. Epub 2011 Jul 14.
- HIV-1 antibody 3BNC117 suppresses viral rebound in humans during treatment interruption.
- Scheid JF, Horwitz JA, Bar-On Y, Kreider EF, Lu CL, Lorenzi JC, Feldmann A, Braunschweig M, Nogueira L, Oliveira T, Shimeliovich I, Patel R, Burke L, Cohen YZ, Hadrigan S, Settler A, Witmer-Pack M, West AP Jr, Juelg B, Keler T, Hawthorne T, Zingman B, Gulick RM, Pfeifer N, Learn GH, Seaman MS, Bjorkman PJ, Klein F, Schlesinger SJ, Walker BD, Hahn BH, Nussenzweig MC, Caskey M. Nature. 2016 Jun 22. doi: 10.1038/nature18929
Zirui SongHarvard Medical School
- Education: Harvard Medical School (MD), Harvard University (PhD)
- Clinical and research interest: health economics, health policy
- Song Z. “Using Medicare prices—Toward equity and affordability in the ACA marketplace.” New England Journal of Medicine. 2017 Dec 14;377(24):2309-2311.
- Song Z, Blumenthal DM. “Expanding payment reform in Medicare: The cardiology episode-based payment model.” Journal of the American Medical Association. 2016 Nov 15;316(19):1973-1974.
- Song Z, Rose S, Safran DG, Landon BE, Day MP, Chernew ME. “Changes in health care spending and quality 4 years into global payment.” New England Journal of Medicine. 2014 Oct 30;371(18):1704-1714.
- Song Z, Landrum MB, Chernew ME. “Competitive bidding in Medicare Advantage: effect of benchmark changes on plan bids.” Journal of Health Economics. 2013 Dec;32(6):1301-1312.
- Song Z, Landon BE. “Controlling health care spending—the Massachusetts experiment.” New England Journal of Medicine. 2012 Apr 26;366(17):1560-1561.
- Education: University of Pennsylvania (MD, PhD)
- Fellowship: GI, Stanford
- Lab post-doctoral mentor: Justin Sonnenburg
- Clinical and research interest: GI, nutrition, microbiome
- Spencer, S. P., Wilhelm, C., Yang, Q., Hall, J. A., Bouladoux, N., Boyd, A., Nutman, T. B., Urban, J. F., Jr., Wang, J., Ramalingam, T. R., Bhandoola, A., Wynn, T. A. & Belkaid, Y. (2014). Adaptation of innate lymphoid cells to a micronutrient deficiency promotes type 2 barrier immunity. Science 343, 432-7.
- Spencer, S. P. & Belkaid, Y. (2012). Dietary and commensal derived nutrients: shaping mucosal and systemic immunity. Curr Opin Immunol 24, 379-84.
Graduation Year from Residency Program: 2016
Kelly BurkeDana Farber Cancer Institute/Mass General Brigham Cancer Care
- Education: Kenyon College (BA); Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (MD/PhD)
- Fellowship: Hematology-Oncology
- Lab post-doctoral mentor: Arlene Sharpe, MD, PhD
- Clinical and research interest: oncology, tumor immunology
- Braun DA, Burke KP and Van Allen EM. Genomic Approaches to Understanding Response and Resistance to Immunotherapy. Clin Cancer Res. 2016(23): 5642-5650. Review.
- Burke KP, Munshaw S, Osburn WO, Levine J, Liu L, Sidney J, Sette A, Ray SC, and Cox AL. Immunogenicity and cross-reactivity of a representative ancestral sequence in hepatitis C virus infection. J Immunology. 2012; 188: 5177- 5188.
- S. Munshaw, Bailey JR, Liu L, Osburn WO, Burke KP, Cox AL, and Ray SC. Computational reconstruction of Bole1a, a representative synthetic hepatitis C virus subtype 1a genome. J Virol . 2012; 86: 5915-5921.
Raghu R. ChivukulaMassachusetts General Hospital, Whitehead Institute
- Education: Johns Hopkins University (BA, MD/PhD)
- Fellowship: Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- Lab post-doctoral mentor: David Sabatini, MD PhD
- Clinical and research interest: (clinical) critical care medicine, Mendelian genetic lung diseases; (research) TBD but, generally, in basic cell biology questions
- Chivukula RR*, Taylor MS*, Myers LC, Jeck WR, Waghray A, Tata PR, Selig MK, O'Donnell WJ, Farver CF, Thompson BT, Rajagopal J, Kradin RL. A Conserved Distal Lung Regenerative Pathway in Acute Lung Injury. Am J Pathol. 2018 May;188(5):1149- 1160.
- Chivukula RR*, Shi G*, Acharya A, Mills EW, Zeitels LR, Anandam JL, Abdelnaby AA, Balch GC, Mansour JC, Yopp AC, Maitra A, Mendell JT. An essential mesenchymal function for miR-143/145 in intestinal epithelial regeneration. Cell. 2014 May 22; 157(5):1104-16.
- Kent OA, Chivukula RR, Mullendore M, Wentzel EA, Feldmann G, Lee KH, Liu S, Leach SD, Maitra A, Mendell JT. Repression of the miR-143/145 cluster by oncogenic Ras initiates a tumor-promoting feed-forward pathway. Genes Dev. 2010 Dec 15; 24(24):2754-9.
- Kota J, Chivukula RR, O'Donnell KA, Wentzel EA, Montgomery CL, Hwang HW, Chang TC, Vivekanandan P, Torbenson M, Clark KR, Mendell JR, Mendell JT. Therapeutic microRNA delivery suppresses tumorigenesis in a murine liver cancer model. Cell. 2009 Jun 12; 137(6):1005-17.
Jessica HennesseyColumbia University Medical Center/New York Presbyterian
- Fellowship: Cardiology
- Lab post-doctoral mentor: Steven Marx, MD
- Clinical and research interest: electrophysiology, genetic basis for inherited and acquire arrhythmias
- Hennessey JA, Jiang Y-H, Miller J, Yin X, Patrick W, Pfeiffer R, Antzelevitch C, Kanter R, Pitt GS. A CACNA1C variant associated with reduced voltage-dependent inactivation, increased CaV1.2 channel window current, and arrhythmogenesis. PLoS One . 2014 Sep 3;9(9):e106982. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0106982. PMID: 25184293
- Hennessey JA, Marcou CA, Wang C, Wei EQ, Wang C, Tester DJ, Torchio M, Dagradi F, Crotti L, Schwartz PJ, Ackerman MJ, Pitt GS. FGF12 is a novel Brugada syndrome locus. Heart Rhythm. 2013 Dec;10(12):1886-1894. doi: 10.1016/j.hrthm.2013.09.064. Epub 2013 Oct 4. PMID: 24096171
- Hennessey JA, Wei EQ, Pitt GS. Fibroblast growth factor homologous factors modulate cardiac calcium channels. Circulation Research . 2013 Aug 2;113(4):381-388. PMID: 23831029
Scott E. MillmanMemorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Education: NYU School of Medicine (MD/PhD)
- Fellowship: Medical Oncology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Lab post-doctoral mentor: Scott W. Lowe, PhD
- Clinical and research interest: leukemia
- Busino L*, Millman SE*, Pagano M. SCF-mediated degradation of p100 (NF-κB2): mechanisms and relevance in multiple myeloma. Sci Signal. 2012 Dec 4;5(253):pt14. doi: 10.1126/scisignal.2003408. Review. PubMed PMID: 23211527; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3871187.
- Kim DS, Zhang W, Millman SE, Hwang BJ, Kwon SJ, Clayberger C, Pagano M, Krensky AM. Fbw7γ-mediated degradation of KLF13 prevents RANTES expression in resting human but not murine T lymphocytes. Blood. 2012 Aug 23;120(8):1658-67. doi: 10.1182/blood-2012-03-415968. Epub 2012 Jul 13. PubMed PMID: 22797700; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3429307.
- Busino L*, Millman SE*, Scotto L, Kyratsous CA, Basrur V, O'Connor O, Hoffmann A, Elenitoba-Johnson KS, Pagano M. Fbxw7α- and GSK3-mediated degradation of p100 is a pro-survival mechanism in multiple myeloma. Nat Cell Biol. 2012 Mar 4;14(4):375-85. doi: 10.1038/ncb2463. PubMed PMID: 22388891; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3339029.
- Millman SE, Pagano M. MCL1 meets its end during mitotic arrest. EMBO Rep. 2011 May;12(5):384-5. doi: 10.1038/embor.2011.62. Epub 2011 Apr 8. PubMed PMID: 21475247; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3090028.
Pat WardMass General
- Education: MD and PhD, University of Pennsylvania; MPhil, University of Cambridge; undergraduate at University of Pennsylvania
- Fellowship: Endocrine
- Clinical and research interests: metabolism, mitochondria, adrenal physiology and steroidogenesis, reproductive endocrine
- Dang L, White DW, Gross S, Bennett BD, Bittinger MA, Driggers EM, Fantin VR, Jang HG, Jin S, Keenan MC, Marks KM, Prins RM, Ward PS, Yen KE, Liau LM, Rabinowitz JD, Cantley LC, Thompson CB, Vander Heiden MG, Su SM. Cancer-associated IDH1 mutations produce 2-hydroxyglutarate. Nature. 2009 Dec 10;462(7274):739-744. PMID: 19935646.
- Ward PS, Patel J, Wise DR, Abdel-Wahab O, Bennett BD, Coller HA, Cross JR, Fantin VR, Hedvat CV, Perl AE, Rabinowitz JD, Carroll M, Su SM, Sharp KA, Levine RL, Thompson CB. The common feature of leukemia-associated IDH1 and IDH2 mutations is a neomorphic enzyme activity converting alpha-ketoglutarate to 2-hydroxyglutarate. Cancer Cell. 2010 Mar 16;17(3):225-234. PMID: 20171147.
- Ward PS, Lu C, Cross JR, Abdel-Wahab O, Levine RL, Schwartz GK, Thompson CB. The potential for isocitrate dehydrogenase mutations to produce 2-hydroxyglutarate depends on allele specificity and subcellular compartmentalization. J Biol Chem. 2013 Feb 8;288(6):3804-3815. PMID: 23264629.
Tao ZouDana-Farber Cancer Institute/Massachusetts General Hospital
- Education: Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
- Fellowship: Hematology/Oncology
- Lab post-doctoral mentor: Matthew Meyerson
- Clinical and research interest: immuno-oncology and lung cancer
Graduation Year from Residency Program: 2015
Allison Betof WarnerMemorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Education: Duke University School of Medicine (MD/PhD)
- Fellowship: Medical Oncology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Lab post-doctoral mentor: Jedd Wolchok, MD, PhD
- Clinical and research interest: melanoma and immunotherapeutics; "In the lab, I study the intersection of tumor microenvironment with tumor immunology. My main project focuses on the effects of exercise on tumor immunology and immune-based therapeutic strategies."
- Betof Warner A and Postow M. Controversies in combinations: checkpoint inhibition alone or in combination for the treatment of melanoma? Oncology. 2018 May; 32(5): 228-34. PMID: 29847853
- Betof Warner A, Postow MA. The brim of uncertainty in adjuvant treatment of melanoma. Lancet Oncology. 2018 April; 19(4): 436-437. PMID: 29477664
- Pollack MH*, Betof A*, Dearden H, Rapazzo K, Valentine I, Brohl AS, Ancell KK, Long GV, Menzies AM, Eroglu Z, Johnson DB, Shoushtari A. Safety of resuming anti-PD-1 in patients with immune-related adverse events (irAEs) during combined anti-CTLA-4 and anti-PD1 in metastatic melanoma. Annals of oncology. 2017 Oct; 29(1):250-255. PMID: 29045547.
- Betof AS, Nipp RD, Giobbie-Hurder A, Johnpulle, RAN, Rubin K, Rubenstein SM, Flaherty KT, Lawrence DP, Johnson DB, Sullivan RJ. Influence of age on outcomes with immunotherapy in patients with melanoma. The oncologist. 2017 July; 22(7):1-8. PMID 28476944
- Betof AS, Lascola CD, Weitzel, D, Landon C, Scarbrough PM, Devi GR, Palmer G, Jones LW, Dewhirst MW. Modulation of murine breast tumor vascularity, hypoxia and chemotherapeutic response by exercise. Journal of the national cancer institute. 2015 Mar; 107(5). PMID 25780062.