Disparities Research Unit News
Past news from the Disparities Research Unit at Massachusetts General Hospital
The Disparities Research Unit has launched two exciting new NIH-funded studies in 2020.
- Positive Minds Strong Bodies – Implementation: This NIA/NIMH renewal grant tests an enhanced version of the PMSB-E disability prevention program, offered by Community Health Workers and Exercise Trainers to racial/ethnic and linguistic minority elders. The original intervention has been strengthened and now includes a group maintenance component following the core program. A COVID-19 supplement will provide the opportunity for additional exploration of the pandemic and minority elders
- Latino Youth Coping with Discrimination: This NIMHD-funded project addresses mental health of Latinx youth in Indiana, focusing on discrimination-related stressors and mental health among Mexican-American youth living in a new migration area. In partnership with University of Notre Dame, Fordham University and Indiana University, this study addresses the effects of racism and negative neighborhood interactions, with the goal to improve the mental health of Latinx youth
Awards and Recognition
- Dr. Alegria received the 2020 Rema Lapouse Award for Achievement in Epidemiology, Mental Health and Applied Public Health Statistics. She was recognized for her achievements at this year’s American Public Health Association (APHA) annual meeting, held online in October 2020.
- PRA: Increasing Employment May Improve Mental and Physical Health for Individuals with Mental Health Challenges
- JAMA Psychiatry: Effectiveness of the DECIDE Interventions on Shared Decision Making and Perceived Quality of Care in Behavioral Health With Multicultural Patients
- Inside UCR: Symposium Shines a Spotlight on Immigrant Health
- William T. Grant Foundation: How Can Youth Perspectives Inform Interventions to Reduce Inequality?
- Health Affairs: Simulations Test Impact Of Education, Employment, And Income Improvements On Minority Patients With Mental Illness
- NASHP Blog: NASHP Identifies State Strategies to Address Mental Health and Education Inequities (Nov. 2017)
- Drug and Alcohol Dependence: Evaluation of the AC-OK mental health and substance abuse screening measure in an international sample of Latino immigrants
- American Psychological Association: Understanding and addressing the needs of unaccompanied immigrant minors
- Wall Street Journal: Campus Researchers Try New Ways to Close a Gap in Mental Health-Care
- WGBH Frontline: How the Heroin Epidemic Differs in Communities of Color