“How much does IVF cost?” is a common question. Read on to better understand IVF costs at Mass General and insurance coverage for fertility services.
Mass General Fibroid Program
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care, Suite 4E
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114
Specialists are also available to offer second opinions.
Explore this Treatment Program
About this Program
Our Customized Care
Our patients have one point of access to a multidisciplinary team of specialists that includes Mass General:
Radiologists who specialize in reading abdominal scans
Our team collaborates to create a care plan customized to individual medical needs and lifestyle choices. This approach can result in shorter time for diagnosis and treatment, helping our patients lead active lives as soon as possible.
For women of child-bearing age, the program offers minimally invasive surgery to maintain fertility. For women who do not want to get pregnant, minimally invasive image-guided procedures are also available.
Women with uterine fibroids have a variety of treatment options, including:
- Watchful waiting, or close observation by specialists before active management
- Uterine fibroid embolization (UFE) conducted by interventional radiologists: a minimally invasive procedure that shrinks fibroids by blocking their blood supply
- Surgery conducted by surgeons specializing in gynecology, including:
- Myomectomy, or a conservative surgical therapy in which fibroids are removed while the uterus stays intact. This may allow a future pregnancy
- Hysterectomy, or the surgical removal of the entire uterus. Fibroids are the main reason for hysterectomies in the U.S.
What to Expect
During the initial consultation, our patients receive a full evaluation and careful assessment of their medical situation. They meet one-on-one with specialists to learn about their options and choose an approach that’s best for them.
Our nurse coordinator handles all aspects of a patient’s care. She is available to schedule appointments and connect patients to resources including translation services and financial coordinators.
Our patients talk about what it's like to live with uterine fibroids and the choices they made to take action.
An opera singer overcomes infertility
Painful fibroids kept opera singer Denyce Graves from conceiving. With the help and expertise of experts at the Mass General Fibroid Program, she gave birth to a baby girl.
Delva talks about why she chose UFE
A patient whose life was regularly disrupted by fibroids, Delva Campbell talks about why she chose UFE and how it changed her life.
Melissa talks about struggling with fibroids
Melissa Leverett King is an active mom and teacher who was limited by discomfort and pain until she got treated for fibroids with UFE.
Our program includes a multidisciplinary team of board-certified Harvard-affiliated physicians:
- Chief, Division of Reproductive Medicine and IVF
- Director, Massachusetts General Fertility Center
- Co-Director, MGH Integrated Fibroid Program
- Patient Story
- Aug | 7 | 2019
Stephanie received a remote second opinion from the Fibroid Program at Massachusetts General Hospital.
- Aug | 11 | 2020
Choosing to build or grow a family can be a complex decision for many people, and this decision has only been further complicated by the COVID-19 pandemic.