Suspicious packages or substances have become an increasing concern based on recent domestic and international events. If you receive a suspicious package or substance, immediately contact Police and Security at your location.
The following is provided for your information:
Suspicious Mail Characteristics
- Mail that has protruding wires, strange odors or stains
- Mail that appears to contain any kind of “powder-like” substance
- Mail with no return address
- Oddly shaped mail or mail of an unusual size
- Mail for someone who is no longer here
- Mail marked “Personal” or “Confidential”
- Mail addressed to a title, not a name
- Mail that simply does not “seem” legitimate
- Mail with excessive postage
- Mail that is excessively heavy for its size
- Contact Police and Security and take the following precautions:
- Do not open anything that appears “suspicious”
- Isolate the letter or parcel
- Wait for Police and Security personnel to arrive
If you have opened an item that contains any “suspicious” substances:
- Isolate the package/letter in a sealed bag, if possible
- Keep others away from the item
- Keep calm
- Wash your hands with soap and water immediately
- Shut off all fans, air conditioners, heaters, etc. Do not use remote control devices that may send a radio or electrical signal.
- Document by name, address and contact phone number all others who were in the area of the suspected material.