Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committee
Explore This Program
Our Commitment to a Diverse and Inclusive Community
The Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital is committed to the advancement of a culturally competent and diverse faculty, staff and trainee community. We welcome individuals from all backgrounds, genders and gender identities, races, ethnicities, abilities and sexual orientations. We know that we are stronger through our collective differences.
The department’s DEI committee aims to ensure a welcoming environment where all members of the department can experience a true sense of belonging. One of our department’s core beliefs is that everyone deserves respect—it doesn’t matter where they’re from, how they identify, the color of their skin, who they love or how they experience faith.
We cultivate a safe and supportive environment by embedding diversity, equity and inclusion into the fabric of the department, using continued education to alleviate disparities in health care and addressing the unconscious biases that harm both quality of care and workplace culture. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and collaborative community, celebrating the diverse perspectives and identities of every individual, creating equitable access to opportunities for departmental advancements and eliminating inequities in patient care.
We stand firm against discrimination of race, age, color, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, migratory status, disability/abilities, political affiliation and socioeconomic background.
We advocate for the expansion of opportunities for those who are underrepresented in medicine (URiM).
We achieve this through:
- Advancing equitable and inclusive hiring, recruitment and career development strategies
- Organizing training and research efforts to further our collective understanding of implicit bias, racism and disparities in health care
- Curating educational programming and community interventions to help faculty and staff further the DEI mission
- Implementing mentoring pathways for URiM medical students, trainees and junior faculty
- Arranging DEI committee-run social events with the purpose of bringing people of all backgrounds together outside of work
- Hosting annual webinars to introduce URiM medical students to the Mass General Anesthesia Residency Program, hosted by a diverse group of faculty and trainees
- Confronting and correcting disparities in obstetric labor analgesia education, as part of the Mass General Brigham United Against Racism (UAR) campaign
Meet Our Team
Amy Du, MD, MS
DEI Committee Director
Anesthesiologist, Mass General
Country of origin: South Africa
Languages: English, Mandarin, some Spanish
Yvonne Lai, MD
Associate Program Director, Anesthesia Residency Program
Anesthesiologist, Mass General
Country/State of Origin: New Jersey, U.S.
Languages: English, Mandarin
Gabriel Washington, MD
Anesthesia Resident, Mass General
Country/State of Origin: Nevada, U.S.
Photos from Past Events
Browse a collection of photos from past Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine DEI committee-led events.
CCHI addresses health inequities and builds healthy, safe and thriving communities.
CDI is dedicated to championing health equity and drives organizational change.
The DSC advances policy to eliminate racial and ethnic disparities in health care.
EAP empowers employees and promotes wellbeing through consultation, support and education.
Employee-led resource groups create an environment where all employees can thrive.