Support. Connect. Grow.
With more than 40 events since the group's launch in 2017, the Women in Oncology (WIO) group has created many opportunities for its members to connect with one another, support one another, and learn and grow together. Events are both virtual and in-person, and include social and networking get-togethers, guest speakers, leadership sessions, fitness and wellness events, and much more.
View our complete list of upcoming and past events below. Our hope is that other organizations will be inspired to create similar opportunities for their female physicians.
2023 Upcoming Events
- Winter Warrior Challenge
- Jan 1-31: Walk or run 1 mile OUTSIDE each day in January
- Stay tuned for more events in 2023! Follow us on twitter for the latest updates from the WIO group.
All Past Events
- MGPO Uplift Grant was awarded to fund this series
Four sessions occurring in January, February, March, April
- January 1-31: A challenge to walk or run outside for at least 1 mile every day (in Boston) in the month of January
- January 27: Dr. Daniel Lieberman, Professor of Biological Sciences and Human Evolutionary Biology at Harvard University
- February 11: Dr. Nancy Rappaport, Associate Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School
- March 13: LIVE Interactive, cooking class with Jodi Bornstein, MD OTR/L
- April 1: Dr. Suzanne Bertisch, Assistant Professor in Medicine at Harvard Medical School
Physician/Clinical Investigator, sleep and circadian disorders in the Department of Medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston
- May 5: Dr. Amy Gottlieb
- May 11: Dr. Nancy Tarbell
- May 20: Dr. Robyn Tiger - Physician & Trauma-Informed Self-Care Coach, Founder, StressFreeMD
- June 1-5: Virtual 5K
- July 9: The Timberland Company, Stratham, New Hampshire
- Aug 10: Liberty Hotel Patio - Mingle/connect with all the new oncology faculty and oncology fellow and welcome them to the Women In Oncology Group
- Sept 8: Charles River Esplanade (Hatch Shell)
- Sept 18: Charles River Esplanade (Hatch Shell)
Join Team MGH Women in Oncology
- Oct 7: With WIO member/ FASI co-founder and executive chair Christine Olsen
- Nov 9: Be paired up with WIO members you may have never met before, or connect with regularly and get to know one another
- Dec 11
Virtual Holiday Paint Night
- December 16, 2021
“Disability Insurance” with Mark Haser
- October 19, 2021 financial coaching virtual event with wealth advisor Mark Haser, MBA, CFP. Hosted by Gaby Hobbs, MD.
“Letter to a Young Female Physician” with Suzanne Koven
- September 23, 2021 virtual event featuring Suzanne Koven, MD, author of "Letter to a Young Female Physician”. Hosted by Amy Comander, MD.
Mass General Cancer Center Everyday Amazing Race
- September 11, 2021 - WIO members participated in this virtual race to help support the Mass General Cancer Center.
“Picture a Scientist”
- August 12, 2021 Scheduled a viewing of the film “Picture a Scientist”, which chronicles the groundswell of researchers who are writing a new chapter for women scientists. Hosted by Aparna Parikh, MD.
“Journey Through Infertility” with Fumiko Chino and Ariela Marshall
- August 3, 2021 virtual event featuring an open discussion with MGH panelists and speakers Fumiko Chino, MD and Ariela Marshall, MD, who shared their professional and personal experiences with infertility. Hosted by Kerry Reynolds, MD.
- Hosted by Terry Mulvey, MD.
- July 15, 2021 outdoor summer social for WIO members.
MGH PAVING Program 5K
- June 6, 2021 5K to help support the MGH PAVING Program, “PAVING The Path To Wellness For Breast Cancer Survivors.”
Happier Now Session 2 - “Fire Up Your Capacity to Achieve Audacious Goals" with Nataly Kogan
- May 26, 2021 virtual event with Nataly Kogan, author of "Happier Now" and founder of Happier, Inc. The second of two sessions, this session focused on "proven practices to get out of the valley of struggle and use your bigger why to succeed through challenges." Hosted by Kerry Reynolds, MD and Rachel Rosovsky, MD.
Lung Strong 5K Walk/Run
- May 8, 2021 Lung Strong 5K Walk/Run with members of the WIO group.
Happier Now Session 1 – “How to Talk Back to Your Brain When It Causes You Self-Doubt" with Nataly Kogan
- May 6, 2021 virtual event with Nataly Kogan, author of "Happier Now" and founder of Happier, Inc. The first of two sessions, this session focused on "science-backed skills and practices to remove the mental blocks that hold you back." Hosted by Kerry Reynolds, MD and Rachel Rosovsky, MD.
- April 17-18, 2021: Peloton group rides with WIO members who ride under the group hashtag, #MGHWomenInOnc.
"Lead In: Women of Impact in Health Care" with Vivian Lee
- April 8, 2021 virtual event featuring Vivian S. Lee, MD, PhD, MBA, President of Health Platforms at Verily Life Sciences. Hosted by Helen Shih, MD and Nancy Tarbell, MD.
"Shamrockin' Run 5K"
- March 20, 2021 5K run for WIO members.
- March 11, 2021 virtual, interactive paint and trivia night for WIO members featuring artist Lauren Perron. Hosted by Lecia Sequist, MD and Neelima Vidula, MD.
“Grace/Empathy after Loss"
- January 15, 2021 virtual event to discuss "Giving Yourself and Each Other Grace/Empathy after Loss." Hosted by Therese Mulvey, MD.
“Financial Planning - Considerations for the Female Oncologist” with Mark Haser
- December 8, 2020 financial coaching virtual event with wealth advisor Mark Haser, MBA, CFP. Hosted by Gaby Hobbs, MD.
“Fitness is FUN!”
- November 26, 2020: Peloton Turkey Burn Ride with WIO members.
"Career Advancement and Leadership Skills for Women in Healthcare"
- November 5, 2020 – November 7, 2020: Ten WIO members were sent to this virtual leadership conference for women in healthcare presented by Harvard Medical School. Attending the conference were: Amy Comander, MD; Lipika Goyal, MD; Amanda Guidon, MD; Gaby Hobbs, MD; Minna Kohler, MD; Aparna Parikh, MD; Rachel Rosovsky, MD; Andrea Russo, MD; Jennifer Shin, MD; Meghan Sise, MD.
"Bringing it all Together: Making a Strategic Shift"
- Virtual event on October 21, 2020. The fourth in a four-part "Women in Medicine Leadership Series," this session described key strategic shifts in perspective that are essential for career women to adopt in order to transition successfully to increasing leadership positions, and brought together the lessons learned across the program to develop a forward plan. Hosted by Kerry Reynolds, MD with Camilla Heinzmann from OrangeGrove Consulting.
"Quantify Your Value: Self-Promotion"
- Virtual event on October 7, 2020. The third in a four-part "Women in Medicine Leadership Series," this session had participants uncover and overcome resistance to self-promotion. Hosted by Kerry Reynolds, MD with Camilla Heinzmann from OrangeGrove Consulting.
"Understanding Bias: Challenges & Opportunities for Women"
- Virtual event on September 23, 2020. The second in a four-part "Women in Medicine Leadership Series," this session focused on helping women recognize and overcome unconscious biases through case studies to improve decision-making and risk-taking. Hosted by Kerry Reynolds, MD with Camilla Heinzmann from OrangeGrove Consulting.
"Advancing Your Career During COVID-19"
- Virtual event on September 9, 2020. The first in a four-part "Women in Medicine Leadership Series," this session defined leadership in a crisis and laid out participants' leadership resiliency vision. Hosted by Kerry Reynolds, MD with Camilla Heinzmann from OrangeGrove Consulting.
"Lifestyle Medicine for Leaders" with Beth Frates
- Virtual event on August 20, 2020 with lifestyle medicine pioneer Beth Frates, MD. Hosted by Amy Comander, MD.
Cancelled due to COVID-19
- June 5, 2020 - "Financial Considerations for the Female Oncologist" with Mark Haser. Hosted by Gaby Hobbs, MD and Laura Spring, MD.
Cancelled due to COVID-19
- April 28, 2020 - Leadership and Academic Career Advancement. Hosted by Helen Shih, MD & Nancy Tarbell, MD.
Cancelled due to COVID-19
- March 9, 2020 WIO event with a showing of the short film, "Trans Dudes With Lady Cancer" followed by panel discussion and Q&A. Hosted by Kerry Reynolds, MD and Robin Schoenthaler, MD.
"Strength and Focus Through Times of Adversity" with Lihua Yu
Breakfast with Inga Lennes to discuss Leadership Pearls
- November 7, 2019 WIO breakfast event with Inga Lennes, MD, MPH, MBA.
"Success Strategies for Life and Career" with Allison Rimm
- September 23, 2019 WIO event at MGH featuring executive coach Allison Rimm who spoke about "Success Strategies for Life and Career." Light appetizers were served. Hosted by Amy Comander, MD and Kerry Reynolds, MD.
"The Children’s Room"
- August 22, 2019 WIO event at The Children's Room in Arlington, MA. Hosted by Lauren Dias, MD.
“There’s Not Enough Time…and Other Lies We Tell Ourselves” with Jill Farmer
- July 11, 2019 - Joint event with the MGPO and the WIO group at the Liberty Hotel in Boston. Event included a presentation and book signing by Jill Farmer, life coach and author of "There’s Not Enough Time…and Other Lies We Tell Ourselves”. Hosted by Inga Lennes, MD, MPH, MBA.
- March 14, 2019 - Tips and tricks for "Setting Boundaries in Order to Care for Ourselves" during a personalized "Burn Boot Camp" class for the WIO group followed by appetizers. Hosted by Aparna Parikh, MD.
“Teaming Across Your Organization To Build A Better Future” with Amy Edmondson
- On January 9, 2019 the WIO group attended a dinner event with Amy Edmondson, author and the Novartis Professor of Leadership and Management at Harvard Business School. Hosted by Lecia Sequist, MD, MPH.
2018 - 2017
- December 12, 2018 - WIO event at MGH with development team members discussing the topic "Success in Fundraising/Development: What it Takes." Hosted by Lori Wirth, MD.
"The Art of Negotiation” with Kess Hong
- On September 20, 2018 the WIO group had a social gathering with Kess Hong, Senior Lecturer in Public Policy at Harvard Kennedy School, who specializes in the areas of negotiation and decision-making. Hosted by Aparna Parikh, MD.
“Soul Satisfying Success" with Allison Rimm
- All women in the Mass General Cancer Center (faculty, RNs, NPs, front desk staff, etc.) were invited to this event in May 2018 featuring executive coach Allison Rimm. Hosted by Amy Comander, MD.
"Networking with Other Divisions" with Female Physicians in Palliative Care/Critical Care
- MGH Oncology faculty and fellows, along with the women of palliative care and pulmonary, were invited to an evening social sponsored by the Department of Medicine. Goal was to increase communication and networking between women physicians in different fields of medicine across the department. Hosted by Jennifer Shin, MD.
"Sponsorship vs Mentorship - What is the Difference, Why Do You Need Both?"
- Invited all MGH Oncology faculty, fellows, and internal medicine residents. Hosted by Marcia Browne, MD.
"How Can We Support Each Other/Importance of Networking"
- Invited all MGH Oncology faculty (including network sites), fellows, and internal medicine residents to a social hour. Hosted by Therese Mulvey, MD on July 24, 2017.
Panel Discussion Regarding Career Options
- Women in Oncology kick-off event: a panel discussion on career options
Kimberly Brennan, DO
"The Women in Oncology events has probably been my favorite surprise about working for MGH. I couldn’t imagine such a supportive group of women getting together...
and celebrating each other and moving forward together, being educated and learning and relaxing and becoming better doctors, and people - together."
Gaby Hobbs, MD
“The Women in Oncology events pre-pandemic were a great way to meet other women in the Cancer Center, but COVID has solidified our community in a way that I didn’t think would be possible online...
The first time I felt truly connected to all of the wonderful women in this group was through the leadership course that was offered in the fall. It’s amazing how having a small break-group on Zoom with other women in the Cancer Center can help foster a sense of community and support. Just knowing that other women were struggling/thriving in similar ways to me was so uplifting."
Terry Mulvey, MD
"The most amazing testimonial is the sheer number of women who have joined in - NPs, fellows and staff. The need is great as is evidenced by this number...
of people who not only joined but also who stay. The variety of ways to interact, meetings, Peloton group, running group, etc...hope to have a writing group at some point...speaks to how much this was probably always needed but even more so now."
Lauren Dias, MD
"I so enjoy the camaraderie and sense of community fostered by the Women in Oncology events, it is such a great addition to our work experience. It truly helps to make me, as a community oncologist...
feel connected to my colleagues throughout the network in a fun, nurturing, and rewarding way. I look forward to ongoing participation and am grateful to be part of this group!”
Creating A Positive Workplace Culture
"It was my hope we could bring women together from across all areas of our Cancer Center, develop impactful relationships, and support one another along this career’s winding journey. Through the ups and the downs we will have each other and there will always be a safe space here." - Kerry Reynolds, MD