Welcome to the Center for Celiac Research and Treatment at MassGeneral Hospital for Children. This handout will help you prepare for your first appointment here. You will learn what to expect at your appointment, what to bring and who you will meet from our team.
What will happen during my first visit?
For your first visit, you will meet with one of our team members for a physical exam and a review of your medical history. Then, you will meet with one of our doctors for a consultation about your medical concerns. Your first appointment will take between 1 and 3 hours. If you’d like, you may also meet with our registered dietician to talk about your nutrition concerns or to learn more about a gluten-free diet. If you’re interested in learning more about or participating in one of our studies, you may also meet with our clinical research coordinator. This is up to you – you don’t have to participate in studies if you don’t want to.
What should I bring to my first appointment?
- The New Patient Form, filled out
- Important medical records, including lab results, X-rays, endoscopy reports and, if possible, your actual biopsy slides
- A list of questions you would like to have answered during your appointment
Who is on the celiac research and treatment team?
- Alessio Fasano, MD, director of the Center for Celiac Research and Treatment and chief of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition (treats children and adults)
- Aeri Moon, MD, attending pediatric gastroenterologist
- Mark Salvatore, MD, attending pediatric gastroenterologist
- Maureen Leonard, MD, attending pediatric gastroenterologist (treats children and adults)
- Pam Cureton, RD, LDN, registered dietician
- Martha McInnis, RN, MSN, CPNP, nurse practitioner
- Stephanie Camhi, clinical research coordinator
What if I need to cancel or reschedule an appointment?
If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please call us at (617)726-8705 at least 24 hours in advance. This will allow us to offer the appointment time to another patient.
Please bring this page with you to your appointment.
This page will help you prepare for your first appointment with us. Download PDF version.
My first appointment is on________________________________________.
First Appointment Checklist
□ New Patient Form, filled out
□ Important medical records
□ My list of questions I’d like answered during my appointment