Welcome to the Center for Celiac Research and Treatment at Mass General for Children. This page will help you prepare for your first appointment here. You will learn what to expect at your appointment, what to bring and who you will meet from our team.
What will happen during my first visit?
For your first visit, you will meet with one of our team members for a physical exam and a review of your medical history. Then, you will meet with one of our doctors for a consultation about your medical concerns. Your first appointment will take between 1 and 3 hours.
If you’d like, you may also meet with our registered dietitian to talk about your nutrition concerns or to learn more about a gluten-free diet. If you’re interested in learning more about, or participating in, one of our studies, you may also meet with our clinical research coordinator. This is up to you – you don’t have to participate in studies if you don’t want to.
What should I bring to my first appointment?
- The New Patient Form, filled out. You will receive this form by mail. Please fill it out and bring it with you to your appointment.
- Important medical records, including lab results, X-rays, endoscopy reports and, if possible, your actual biopsy slides
- A list of questions you would like to have answered during your appointment
The PDF version of this page
has a handy checklist and space for any questions you want to be sure to ask. Please print this page out and bring it to your appointment.
Who is on the celiac research and treatment team?
- Alessio Fasano, MD, director of the Center for Celiac Research and Treatment and chief of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition (treats children and adults)
- Mark Salvatore, MD, attending pediatric gastroenterologist
- Maureen Leonard, MD, attending pediatric gastroenterologist (treats children and adults)
- Pam Cureton, RD, LDN, registered dietitian
- Martha Pacetti, RN, MSN, CPNP, nurse practitioner
- Victoria Kenyon, clinical research coordinator
What if I need to cancel or reschedule an appointment?
If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please call us at (617) 724-8476 at least 24 hours in advance. This will allow us to offer the appointment time to another patient.
This webpage is intended to provide health information so that you can be better informed. It is not a substitute for medical advice and should not be used as treatment of any medical conditions.